Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bosnia-Herzegovina V Ireland - Friday, 13th November 2015 Euro 2016 Play Off 1st Leg

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Wow we managed to hold out for a full 3 minutes after we scored!!

Impressive!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Mol says Irish will be more aggressive in Dubs. Funny quote from the Bosnia manager. Could only comment on the first half, didn't see much of the second.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...n-O-Neill.html

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    Wilson should have started over Ward, that was terrible. He should never play for us again.
    And Wilson was at fault for the goal. Good player but he was caught out, and I have no doubt Ward would have dealt with it better.

Quote Originally Posted by backtowalsall View Post
    My brother said it looked like Dzeko was holding his groin at the end. Anyone else see that?
    My dad said the same - certainly looked that way.

Overall, we played well. Rode our luck as we tend to do, but they created little. Worry is that once we scored they shifted up a gear and scored, but if this is them at home then I think they may struggle away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    The guy saying the refs were on Irelands side is funny.

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/...00007/page-335

6. Thanks From:

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Whelan was invisible for most of the second half!

8. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Ha ha!!! I just woke up somewhere.......... In a house. I told everyone that we got a good(not great) result.
    But then there was nobody else in the house......... Hiccup. Or was there?

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Anyway. About 2 minutes in, you could see what was happening. The Bosnians had qualified for little or no championships. And the danger of being the person who messed it up for everyone, had gotten to... everyone. These lads are ****less. The worst thing we can do is give them a stab in the dark. I doubt MON or RK are thinking this, but we are 1-1 going into a home leg.
    Don't poke the bear.

Lets be clear here. I'm talking about a Kasparovian move to take the Bosnian King.
    Last edited by Closed Account; 14/11/2015 at 4:59 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    We could score in the 93rd and we'd concede in the 94th. Loss for words on that.

Reality is we should be riverdancing all the way back to Dublin to come away with a score draw. Hoolahan never got into the game. Think it was Hendrick who should've tested the keeper on a decent Brady cross. Not surprisingly, we offered the square root of zero generally in the second and final third.

Long balls were sexy as ever. O'Neill could be the tactical genius of our time, shielding our best playmaker between the sticks.

There were a few scrambles in our box, some from corners, that we were lucky enough not to be punished. They seemed to be winning an awful lot of headers around the top of our box - unnerving to say the least - hopefully we'll do a better job of cutting those out on the way in (easier said than done, given the way they were using their size/strength) or at least stay sharp reacting to the layoffs.

If you pair that performance with the Poland away - hell, most of the campaign - you'd wonder how we're even in with a shout. Chance is there though, can only hope we're brave enough to take it at home.
    Last edited by boysingreen; 14/11/2015 at 5:50 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Whether we got 1-0 victory or 1-1 last night, it still means that a 0-0 draw or a 1-0 win takes us through. I'm quite happy with the result as beforehand they were meant to be a very good side. Last night was the night they were meant to batter us but appeared no more difficult than Georgia. The reality is Bosnia ain't up to much. With Walters, Long & O'Shea to return as well as having the advantage of playing at home for the final leg then I cannot see us not qualifying now.

PS. Did anybody else see Dzeko hobbling at full time when going over to shake the referees hand or was it just me?
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 14/11/2015 at 7:05 AM.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

13. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Didn't catch any shot of Dzeko after the final whistle, but he seemed to strain his groin on what was probably his last time on the ball. He took a heavy touch, then lunged at the ball. Thought he should've got a yellow for it, cuz he took someone out in the process.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    That's somewhere between an opportunity lost and a good result.

The away goal is nice to have but I tend to think if one away goal as insurance against one for them in Dublin.

Can we let Paul go unchallenged just this once when he says you see a game better live than in TV?

If Wes can get on the ball in Dublin we can finish this one off.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    That's a great result. I would fear that Bosnia could improve on a better pitch and, in a way, under less pressure. They looked far more capable of knocking it around than us, obviously that wouldn't be hard. We were well drilled, I thought Clark probably deserved motm but Keogh got it, and you could hardly begrudge him, massive heart. Coleman was very good too, won his individual battles defensively hands down. The same couldn't be said of Ward on the other side but he has to be cut some slack given his lack of game time at club level, he produced heroics against Germany and that shouldn't be forgotten. Randolph was just as assured as he was when called upon against Germany.

Whelan is so bad on the ball, in fairness there usually isn't much on for him but he manages to make himself look like somebody that couldn't possibly be getting paid for playing football. It was embarrassing at times, especially early on but he competed well enough otherwise. McCarthy worked hard to press the opposition in the first half and seemed to settle, from what I could make out, into a deeper, more refined role in the second half.

We never looked a threat at all so to get a goal was borderline miraculous and a real bonus, so let's hope we can make the most of it on Monday.
    randolph looked very assured again and made a great block at 0-0. One of the CBs had a brain fart though.

Apart from that, big credit to Keogh and Clark. Defended well, kept concentration and above all showed big character, personalitee.

Whelan? I often use the terms "accretive" and "adhesive" to describe different types of midfielder. I think Whelan neither accretes nor holds together, he anaesthetises.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Was it Murphy who got the knock on for Brady's run in the build up to the goal? I can't really see. Any update on anyone who was there?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Can we let Paul go unchallenged just this once when he says you see a game better live than in TV?
    I'm not sure about that! Poor George Hamilton was in extreme difficulty describing the action and the Bosnian coach too. At least on TV they switched to the clearer angles from time to time. That said, I'm sure Paul had anticipated this and brought his anti-fog glasses.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    randolph looked very assured again and made a great block at 0-0. One of the CBs had a brain fart though.
    Are you talking about the one where Randolph spread himself to save from Lulic in the second half? If so, that was Hendrick's brain fart I believe.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Are you talking about the one where Randolph spread himself to save from Lulic in the second half? If so, that was Hendrick's brain fart I believe.
    Yes Hendrick smacked it off a Bosnian's ar$e. Randolph was brilliant in what followed.
    I also thought he was brilliant in the first half sprinting from his line to prevent a corner.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I thought Randolph was close to being a motm, not that he had a lot to do, but he dealt assuredly with what he did have to deal with and he oozed confidence and his early hand signals to indicate some dangerous looking shots were going wide, were helpful to reduce my stress peaks.

In the first half whenever the Bosnian centre backs tried to play the ball from the back they were closed down successfully by Wes and Murphy, the full backs were out of sync and mostly the ball had to be hoofed out by Begovic, reminded me of us under Trap. The Bosnian back 4 (and Begovic?) are their achilles heel.
    As it turned out it wasn't a game where Wes could shine or/and he was off his game. Mostly our defending was sharp and alert but a huge black hole was down our left where a shaky Ward was left exposed. On our right side we had two and three players crowding out any threat but any real danger was coming down the Bosnians right flank against a lone full back. I think even Beglin on RTE was moaning as to why there not more attention paid to this by the rest of the team. In contrast, whenever Brady and McClean went wide, they were closed down by 2 and 3 players.
    We succeeded to stop the Bosnians playing football and sucked much of the entertainment value out of the game, not a game for the neutral.

What's the worst that can happen now? to go out on penalties on our home ground? We haven't had that horrible experience yet.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Yeah, I love when a keeper signals wide before it actually goes wide.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    For the away playoff leg in Iran, was it Ch 5 or BBC2 had a little offside flag which popped up a second or two before the commentator noticed
    I like those type of things in games where you are dangling on a tightrope.

We could sneak a late winner against a plucky Bosnia in Lansdowne rd via a blatant Keane handball and then tell them afterwards to just get over it - such bad losers.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast