Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LOI final round of matches - 30th October

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    542 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Who owns Drogheda? I know a few Drogheda fans and the whole thing appears to be a mystery.

Faceless people making huge decisions. Where are those people now?
    didnt vincent hoey own them at one stage?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    542 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    If Drogheda were at the point where 8 players could not turn up for training and get away with it, they might be in lower tier for a while.
    wot happened that Cathal Brady left ye in midseason?he was always one of your better players and he was superb in his spell with us! would love to see him play for us again!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    542 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Surely some of your FD seasons were worse standard that this current Drogs side? I will agree on your point to have been really terrible to go down, I think that was the first time Drogs were bottom all year
    correct!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    542 Posts
    I have heard rumours that Drogheda Town want to join the league of ireland. Any developments since that news was first heard? if that is the case Drogheda Utd could go out of business as their support base is not as high as in the middle of the last decade!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    I have heard rumours that Drogheda Town want to join the league of ireland. Any developments since that news was first heard? if that is the case Drogheda Utd could go out of business as their support base is not as high as in the middle of the last decade!
    It was a wind-up.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    correct!
    Even though Drogs only spent one weekend bottom, the league table never lies. I sometimes think back to our dreadful season under McCaffrey in 2012, we really should have been relegated automatically and probably would have if Mons had not gone bust. Two games stick out that year, we lost 6-0 and 7-0 away to Rovers. Almost incredible how you can manage it to do something like that twice, we won the play off comfortably v Waterford but I still think we were very lucky not to go down that year.

Nice to see so many old faces from previous Dundalk championship winning sides at the match and in the bars after the game last night, this is a very good thing the club does by continuously inviting past players along to the bigger games, it was the same last year in the final match v Cork. For older readers Jimmy Dainty is still looking fresh (1979 winner)
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

8. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    Who was in charge for the play off Oriel? Did McCaffrey last the full season with ye or did he get the chop? It seems so long ago now, hard to believe its only 3 years!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Legend View Post
    Who was in charge for the play off Oriel? Did McCaffrey last the full season with ye or did he get the chop? It seems so long ago now, hard to believe its only 3 years!
    Darius Kierans.He was asst.Manger under McCfaf**ry.
    Last edited by Dunny; 31/10/2015 at 9:52 PM. Reason: added photo
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Legend View Post
    Darius Kierans assisted by Martin Connolly took over around June that year, the team was already in freefall and even avoiding the play off seemed a long shot at that point. Crazy to think 3 players who were regulars that season would win a title 2 years later, but 2 of them were playing out of position. Shields and Mountney were the central MF pairing. Cherrie was in goals. When Kenny joined, Shields eventually moved to a new role infront of the back four and Mountney moved to the right side.

I was looking through some old stats, always amazed me how our avg lge crowd was almost 1k that season, although the last few games of the regular season saw crowds drop to 250. The play off attracted 1,500, hard to imagine what the outcome would have been had we gone down, I'd say we might still be in the FD.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

13. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Ricky has come out of retirement?

I'd say Vinny Faherty has a better chance!
    To score against Harps ? Ricky will do grand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Darius Kierans assisted by Martin Connolly took over around June that year, the team was already in freefall and even avoiding the play off seemed a long shot at that point. Crazy to think 3 players who were regulars that season would win a title 2 years later, but 2 of them were playing out of position. Shields and Mountney were the central MF pairing. Cherrie was in goals. When Kenny joined, Shields eventually moved to a new role infront of the back four and Mountney moved to the right side.

I was looking through some old stats, always amazed me how our avg lge crowd was almost 1k that season, although the last few games of the regular season saw crowds drop to 250. The play off attracted 1,500, hard to imagine what the outcome would have been had we gone down, I'd say we might still be in the FD.
    Matthews was being a bit of a cynical cnut at that time that apparently seen attendances fall to that level,was holding on for dear life to see what bones he pick dry regardless of what numbers were attending.Awful times then for the club.I always maintain that there was way more than 1500 at that play-off match v Waterford in OP btw,there was about 7 Drogs fans in the crowd that night in the shed along with a lot of other LOI fans all with their scarfs on.Once again GM was manipulating the attendance numbers for his own advantage.Bad,bad days
    Last edited by Dunny; 01/11/2015 at 1:21 AM.
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    So with Nathan Boyle definitely out, Kevin McHugh, Josh Mailey and Damian McNulty massive doubts and Raymond Foy a "concern" we're likely to be missing 4 or 5 of our starting team on Monday for the trip to Limerick.

Considering nobody gives us a hope with a full team, the optimism is not very high at the minute.

Still looking forward to the trip to Market Fields, the place should be buzzing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Heggy View Post
    So with Nathan Boyle definitely out, Kevin McHugh, Josh Mailey and Damian McNulty massive doubts and Raymond Foy a "concern" we're likely to be missing 4 or 5 of our starting team on Monday for the trip to Limerick.

Considering nobody gives us a hope with a full team, the optimism is not very high at the minute.

Still looking forward to the trip to Market Fields, the place should be buzzing.
    Anything at all can happen on the night the buzz of it all could make the Harps lads step it up to another level or our lads could freeze. While I don't think there would be many that would disagree that at this moment we have a bit more quality in our side than Harps it is by no means gonna be easy for us. If ye come to just sit back though it could be a dangerous game with the size of our pitch and the pace we have out wide it will be a lot to ask to let us come at ye most of the night.

Really looking forward to both games though crowds should be great at both. Extra terracing has now been opened in MF just to the left of the stand being used for the first time since we went back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    I don't know about us sitting back and defending all night but we do like to counter attack.
    With Boyle out though, our main striker is a huge loss as he showed with the goal v UCD.
    Limerick have 6 or 7 players who would be easily starting in our side, but then again, so had UCD.

I don't see much more than 100 Harps fans travelling at most (more likely half of that) with it being Monday night but hopefully it'll add to a bit of an atmosphere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Are the playoff games on the box? They really should be if not.
    You've got no fans.

21. Thanks From:

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Finn Harps event controller seems to reckon around 400 harps fans travelling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MeathDrog View Post
    Are the playoff games on the box? They really should be if not.
    +1

It would be a shame to stop TV coverage at this stage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    Finn Harps event controller seems to reckon around 400 harps fans travelling.
    If it were on next Friday I would have agreed but, with most people not knowing if we'd be traveling or not until nearly 10pm on Friday night, there's alot of folk who won't be able to make it.
    There's only 1 bus load afaik but alot of cars.

The quick turnaround is a joke. We're like the walking wounded whilst some of the others have got a fair bit of stick from work for such short notice.

Surely an extra week wouldn't have killed anyone.

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    If it were on next Friday I would have agreed but, with most people not knowing if we'd be traveling or not until nearly 10pm on Friday night, there's alot of folk who won't be able to make it.

The quick turnaround is a joke. We're like the walking wounded whilst some of the others have got a fair bit of stick from work for such short notice.

yeah very hard to get a good crowd down with only under 72 hours notice and with it being as far down the country as limerick. It is a joke really I mean surely there wouldn't be any harm having it Friday-Monday?

I don't know limericks injury situation, but as mentioned above harps potentially have a good few out which maybe could've cleared up if the game was on Friday. I know you can't base the timing of a game on one team's injuries, but would be great both teams at full strength.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    542 Posts

what is also overlooked is that the home team in the playoffs in the first leg will also lose out on programme sales as the turnaround is way too quick! that happened to bray in 2013 when we played them in the playoffs first leg! there was no programme produced in the carlisle grounds.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast