Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: 2003 v. 2005

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts

2003 v. 2005

Time for another pointless off-season debate…

There’s a lot of talk on other boards about how we’ll struggle next year now that we’ve lost three, probably four, first-teamers. So how does our prospective team for next year compare to the 2003 team? I’ve rated each team, plus the bench plus the manager (!) out of ten. 8/10 is meaningless other than it’s better than 7/10 before people start complaining that this looks like a Dublin City ratings list!

2003 v. 2005
    Keeper
    Pat Jennings v. Darren Quigley
    Jennings’ form was woeful at the start of 2003, but in fairness he picked up towards the end and kept almost as many clean sheets as any other keeper in the league. Quigley looks an excellent shot-stopper, which will be handy for our next visit to Tolka!
    OVERALL – 6-8

Defence
    Mahon v. Mahon: The same. 8-8
    McNally v. McNally: Ditto. 9-9
    McAuley v. Kenna: Both are quality centre-backs; Kenna maybe shades it, but McAuley is good for a free-kick every now and again! 9-9
    Davey v. McAuley: Robbie Mac just shades it on the grounds that he knows where the (opponents’!) goal is. 8-9
    OVERALL – 34-35

Midfield
    McDonnell v. McDonnell: The same. 8-8
    J Martin v. Gannon: I’m really looking forward to seeing Gannon play next season (assuming Sully goes). Johnny was poor under Doolin – though not the only one! – and picked up after he left, but I reckon Gannon has more about him than just pace (i.e. can beat his man) and I’m shading him on those grounds. 7-8
    Cawley v. Murphy: I don’t think Murphy is the same kind of player as Cawley or Finn – i.e. an attacking, creative midfielder. 8-6
    O’Donnell v. O’Donnell: The same. 7-7
    OVERALL – 30-29

Attack
    R Martin v. R Martin: The same. But I’m going to give the 2005 Robbie an extra mark on the grounds that he may have some confidence back after getting 15 goals last year. 7-8
    Rooney v. Byrne: 1 goal in 24 v. 3 goals in 75 minutes. No contest here. 4-7
    OVERALL – 11-15

The bench
    Gallagher v. Gallagher: The same. This year’s Gallagher gets an extra mark though as he now has first-team experience. 6-7
    Griffin v. Foley: Different positions, but in strength, much of a muchness. 6-6
    Ryan v. Dicker: See above. 6-6
    McWalter v. McWalter: The same, but again Podgo has much more first-team experience now, so give him an extra mark. 6-7
    Sullivan v. Brophy. Again, different positions, but Sullivan wins hands down here. Brophy was second-top scorer for the reserves last year (with 6!), but has only a few minutes’ first-team experience. 8-5
    OVERALL – 32-31

The manager.
    Snigger!
    OVERALL – 1 (well, he showed up for the games!)-10

The final tally –
    2003: 113
    2005: 127

Obviously, the 2003 team is missing a couple of players through injury and squad depth, etc. – Finn, Whelan and Gallen spring to mind. However, last year, we signed Quigley, Gannon, Doyle, Hughes, Byrne and Kenna, all of whom made an impact during the season, so I’d be confident of finding at least another two or three players again this season to balance that out.

Interesting that of the four players who have left/are likely to go, none were starters during 2003 (Finn out for most of the season, Doyle and Hughes not signed, Sullivan back-up to Martin and Mahon for much of the season). Of the 2003 players who have left, all bar one (Cawley) have been replaced. Depth-wise, the current squad won’t stand too many injuries, but we’ve yet to sign players. We seem to have at least as good a team as in 2003, so if we can come anywhere near matching the form once Mahon took over, we should be well clear of trouble.

Any thoughts? Or am I looking into things a bit too much?!
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 20/12/2004 at 2:23 PM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    Time for another pointless off-season debate…

There’s a lot of talk on other boards about how we’ll struggle next year now that we’ve lost three, probably four, first-teamers. So how does our prospective team for next year compare to the 2003 team? I’ve rated each team, plus the bench plus the manager (!) out of ten. 8/10 is meaningless other than it’s better than 7/10 before people start complaining that this looks like a Dublin City ratings list!

2003 v. 2005
    Keeper
    Pat Jennings v. Darren Quigley
    Jennings’ form was woeful at the start of 2003, but in fairness he picked up towards the end and kept almost as many clean sheets as any other keeper in the league. Quigley looks an excellent shot-stopper, which will be handy for our next visit to Tolka!
    OVERALL – 6-8

Defence
    Mahon v. Mahon: The same. 8-8
    McNally v. McNally: Ditto. 9-9
    McAuley v. Kenna: Both are quality centre-backs; Kenna maybe shades it, but McAuley is good for a free-kick every now and again! 9-9
    Davey v. McAuley: Robbie Mac just shades it on the grounds that he knows where the (opponents’!) goal is. 8-9
    OVERALL – 34-35

Midfield
    McDonnell v. McDonnell: The same. 8-8
    J Martin v. Gannon: I’m really looking forward to seeing Gannon play next season (assuming Sully goes). Johnny was poor under Doolin – though not the only one! – and picked up after he left, but I reckon Gannon has more about him than just pace (i.e. can beat his man) and I’m shading him on those grounds. 7-8
    Cawley v. Murphy: I don’t think Murphy is the same kind of player as Cawley or Finn – i.e. an attacking, creative midfielder. 8-6
    O’Donnell v. O’Donnell: The same. 7-7
    OVERALL – 30-29

Attack
    R Martin v. R Martin: The same. But I’m going to give the 2005 Robbie an extra mark on the grounds that he may have some confidence back after getting 15 goals last year. 7-8
    Rooney v. Byrne: 1 goal in 24 v. 3 goals in 75 minutes. No contest here. 4-7
    OVERALL – 11-15

The bench
    Gallagher v. Gallagher: The same. This year’s Gallagher gets an extra mark though as he now has first-team experience. 6-7
    Griffin v. Foley: Different positions, but in strength, much of a muchness. 6-6
    Ryan v. Dicker: See above. 6-6
    McWalter v. McWalter: The same, but again Podgo has much more first-team experience now, so give him an extra mark. 6-7
    Sullivan v. Brophy. Again, different positions, but Sullivan wins hands down here. Brophy was second-top scorer for the reserves last year (with 6!), but has only a few minutes’ first-team experience. 8-5
    OVERALL – 32-31

The manager.
    Snigger!
    OVERALL – 1 (well, he showed up for the games!)-10

The final tally –
    2003: 113
    2005: 127

Obviously, the 2003 team is missing a couple of players through injury and squad depth, etc. – Finn, Whelan and Gallen spring to mind. However, last year, we signed Quigley, Gannon, Doyle, Hughes, Byrne and Kenna, all of whom made an impact during the season, so I’d be confident of finding at least another two or three players again this season to balance that out.

Interesting that of the four players who have left/are likely to go, none were starters during 2003 (Finn out for most of the season, Doyle and Hughes not signed, Sullivan back-up to Martin and Mahon for much of the season). Of the 2003 players who have left, all bar one (Cawley) have been replaced. Depth-wise, the current squad won’t stand too many injuries, but we’ve yet to sign players. We seem to have at least as good a team as in 2003, so if we can come anywhere near matching the form once Mahon took over, we should be well clear of trouble.

Any thoughts? Or am I looking into things a bit too much?!

As you say we haven't signed anyone yet so this analysis may be a bit premature. Plus we may not have seen the last of the departures either.
    According to yesterday's Irish Sun, we are looking for €52,000 for Sully which we are entitled to under the formula used to calculate these things.
    Apparently the club is willing to accept €20,000. Drogs are offering €15,000 and a player as part of their negotiating point. I would look for Andy Myler before Longford Town sign him as the player. Any one with a Belfield pedigree who has scored more than 100 League goals should be slapped with a preservation order as an endangered and very rare species.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Theres only one Andy Myler.

He was my hero the first year i started supporting College. And a sound bloke aswell. We could deffinetely do with him. The €15,000 would be a bonus coz that would be daylight robbery, Andy is easily as good as Sully if not better
    We are the U the U the UCDD!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty
    Theres only one Andy Myler.
    He's worth about a fiver.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    He's signed a pre-contract with us seemingly so it's either go to us or stay where he is, and he won't be stayng with Drogs if they're insisting on full-time.It's just a matter of a fee being agreed. John Martin, as his name has come up here, has proved a worthwhile addition to our squad, he was developing into a handy central midfielder by the end of the season, he has an eye for goal too which is important, another one who can't stand Doolin by the way, like most of your players from his time it seems.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian
    another one who can't stand Doolin by the way, like most of your players from his time it seems.
    Really? First time I've actually heard that about any of the players (apart from when Mahon said it). In fairness, Martin was rubbish for the first part of 2003 (Doolin's last half-season), but was much better under Mahon. Was he saying anything in particular? Always was a good player, though.

Had heard the Myler to Longford story alright. Wonder who Drogheda are offering us instead? Can't see us taking anyone, to be honest. Talk on the Drogheda forum that the amount of money being talked about for Sully is silly, and they don't think he'd be worth it. Would suit me!

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    That's what he's told some people around here anyway. I don't think it's an uncommon reaction, Doolin is from all reports a very aggressive and miserable individual, remember Dessie Baker's loan spell with ye, when he got sent back to Shels after one game, mainly because he couldn't stand Doolin, he hasn't caused a minute's bother with us in terms of rows or being difficult. I've never met Doolin or anything but it seems alot of players just do not get on with him for whatever reason. Or certain managers either, and I don't mean just yours
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Wonder who Drogheda are offering us instead?
    Aidan Lynch would be my guess or maybe Declan O'Brien.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Aidan Lynch was released - not with Drogs any more.

Maybe it's Mark Rooney!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Aidan Lynch was released - not with Drogs any more.

Maybe it's Mark Rooney!
    No thanks Drogs, we don't play strikers who couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo anymore at UCD

Fabio O'Brien now would be another case entirely