Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: LOI Fixtures 23rd/24th October

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    St.Pats = waste of space of a football club this season
    I wish I could disagree. So disgusted after first Monday and now tonight. We are in serious danger of losing out on 4th place. Should never have come anywhere near to this.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickccfc View Post
    I hope we win now and il come back to this if we do.
    So you werent hoping before?

There's no protocol it is just a nice gesture is all. I remember Dundalk applauding a team on to the pitch and the stand giving standing ovation to a side after a good european result. Could have been Shels the year they played Deportivo. Its not a big deal either, the manager is usually the one who would initiate and I'd have thought Caulfield would have been the type to go with it.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 23/10/2015 at 9:58 PM.

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Ha yeah it does come across that way alright the way I said it.

But a trophy would really be the next step in our progress. We're a little starved of silverware so it's definitely due.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Evidently not!
    We were shocking tonight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickccfc View Post
    Ha yeah it does come across that way alright the way I said it.

But a trophy would really be the next step in our progress. We're a little starved of silverware so it's definitely due.
    Munster Senior Cup yiz can work away on to get a trophy in the cabinet, no bother at all there with us

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Surely the guard of honour thing only occurs once, and only in the match after a team wins the league during the season. It was done last week by Galway, I wouldn't have expected Cork to do it tonight, nor with Bray next Friday.

Of more interest, I think that's a new club record tonight by Dundalk, going through the entire league season unbeaten away from home, a very difficult feat, especially with both Rovers and Cork away twice.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    . Its not a big deal either, the manager is usually the one who would initiate and I'd have thought Caulfield would have been the type to go with it.
    It doesn't bother me either way - but Caulfield would be the last manager to do it id say!

Tonight was a great game considering what was a stake and the jumbled up team selection we had.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    It doesn't bother me either way - but Caulfield would be the last manager to do it id say!
    Some additional motivation for the Dundalk players on November 8th. Players don't like being dis-respected.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Surely the guard of honour thing only occurs once, and only in the match after a team wins the league during the season. It was done last week by Galway, I wouldn't have expected Cork to do it tonight, nor with Bray next Friday.
    Finally, somebody with a bit of sense.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts

Of more interest, I think that's a new club record tonight by Dundalk, going through the entire league season unbeaten away from home, a very difficult feat, especially with both Rovers and Cork away twice.
    That's an incredible feat in any league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    [QUOTE=White Horse;1844842]Cork show their class and don't offer Dundalk a guard of honour.[/QUOTE
    Class ..... you talk of class when your team try their level best to get opposing players sent off every week. At it again tonight at every opportunity, for a team that claim to be the physically strongest team in the league they were falling like leaves from a tree tonight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Some additional motivation for the Dundalk players on November 8th. Players don't like being dis-respected.
    Grow up ffs. Ye got your guard of honour last week, what do you want from the other clubs, to geneflect every time you lot enter the field.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Great record to be fair and lads Dundalk were the best team in the Country by a mile.... Well done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

There's no protocol it is just a nice gesture is all. I remember Dundalk applauding a team on to the pitch and the stand giving standing ovation to a side after a good european result. Could have been Shels the year they played Deportivo. Its not a big deal either, the manager is usually the one who would initiate and I'd have thought Caulfield would have been the type to go with it.
    sure we applauded Longford off the pitch last week, and we've also done it to numerous clubs in the past.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Agree with the Cork lads, guard of honour in your first game after a league win is the tradition. Anything else after that is 100% voluntary.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

20. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Bad timing by Limerick to be putting in dismal performances. A while ago I would have banked on them at least to finish 2nd from bottom.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    I really want Limerick to stay up, not because Drogs would go down but that they could really kick on next season at the Markets Field. Harps would be a nice second if Limerick dont overtake Drogheda. While this gaurd of honour malarkey is only symbolic and an old fashioned formailty it is indicative of respect or lack of for worthy champions. It will be used as motivation in the cup final not that much more would be needed. Real Madrid have done it for Barcelona, Manchester United for Chelsea and visa versa, Arsenal for Man Utd too. If such clubs can do it elsewhere and overlook the seasons rivalries it makes Cork City FC quite petty, maybe arrogant even. Anyway tonights result shapes things up nicely for the Aviva. A nice big crowd will be in Oriel next week to celebrate the champions and trophy presentation; Bray being safe now can enjoy the occasion too and join in on the fun. Cork folk can have a look at the league trophy in the flesh when the cup is added for the post match photos!

Congrats Derry, Bray, Sligo, and Longford for pulling away from relegation in the end. Galway nearly there too.
    Jesus lads you lot are very upset over a guard of honour.... Were ye all stoned last week... YE GOT YOUR GUARD OF HONOUR. One is enough.
    Last edited by strikeforce; 24/10/2015 at 12:01 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    The tradition is for each game as champions. It is rare that a team wins with 1 or more games to go. Anyway no need to shout, it didnt happen, if Bray dont well then tradition has changed or ive made an error on what was done in the past. I dont think one is enough! Should happen every week as teams go to share a pitch with the mighty Lilywhites...actually whomever mentioned geneflecting has it spot on, thats what should be done!! It is all 100% voluntary Longfordian even the at the game after securing the title. Strikeforce it isnt unusual to applaud teams after a game! Before though is a mark of respect for various achievements by clubs, players or managers. Stay classy though Cork. Again I miss CityRebel at these moments but Strikeforce will do - a physically strong team as proclaimed by the very knowledgeable SR pundits rather than Dundalk fans spend a season and more significantly tonight, trying to get players sent off? Against the purists gracing the Turners Cross pitch - no way!! Couldnt have happened. But that said 2 leagues for the falling leaves and 2 runners up (possibly) for the guardians of sportsmanship - maybe there is a lesson there?! Cant wait for the cup final with all eyes on this Dundalk team of cheating chancers to get their come uppings. Let the fun begin!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 24/10/2015 at 9:52 PM.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Bad timing by Limerick to be putting in dismal performances. A while ago I would have banked on them at least to finish 2nd from bottom.
    3 games in this run since we picked up a few wins where there has been any kind of pressure Bray away and Derry, Rovers at home and we have been god awful in all 3.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    I wish I could disagree. So disgusted after first Monday and now tonight. We are in serious danger of losing out on 4th place. Should never have come anywhere near to this.
    Those Bohs and Pays games next week are possibly the most lucrative once off non title/relegation league games ever?
    In the unlikely event that results go Bohs way , at least the Uefa money would stay in football rather than disappear into Kelliher 's pocket before he departs the scene.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast