First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Stadium shambles leaves Rovers facing League KO

Stadium shambles leaves Rovers facing League KO

Friday December 17th 2004

TROUBLED Shamrock Rovers are hoping to secure the permission of Bohemians to groundshare next season in order to avoid dismissal from the Eircom League's 2005 campaign.

Wednesday's decision by South Dublin County Council (SDCC) to refuse an extension to the planning appeal on the club's stadium development in Tallaght was immediately followed by frantic phone calls from Rovers' club officials to their counterparts in Dalymount Park.

The FAI are keen to avoid a repeat of a similar scenario to earlier this year, when Rovers were awarded a UEFA club license despite being without a definitive named home venue for league matches at the time.

They were controversially awarded a qualified 'B' license, although the UEFA club licensing committee was severely compromised by the FAI leadership at the time.

And, with the Dáil's Public Accounts Committee also preparing to investigate the manner in which government funding has been used in the hitherto fruitless attempts by Rovers to move into their Tallaght stadium, the FAI are aware that the UEFA licensing process has to be above reproach this time around.

The deadline for UEFA club license applications to be delivered to Merrion Square is this afternoon and, with Tolka Park and Richmond Park unavailable to Rovers, it seems that Dalymount Park may be the only option open to the beleaguered club.

However, finding another temporary home may be the least of their worries.

Following the hardly unexpected decision of the SDCC to deny Rovers a planning extension, it appears that their financial plans for next season may also be in disarray, as the collapse of a proposed deal with investor Conor Clarkson will see them lose out on a valuable windfall.

Despite this fact, chairman Tony Maguire remained bullish yesterday, expressing shock at the SDCC decision and re-affirming his commitment to seek a judicial review of the decision.

"If that is the only alternative left open to us, then we will have to go down that route," said Maguire yesterday. "We had everything in place for a resumption of the building work in the New Year but that was contingent on getting an extension from the council as regards planning permission.

"Although the planning permission (originally granted five years ago) ran out in October, we then got Conor Clarkson involved and we thought there'd be no problems getting an extension.

"It's an absolute shock to us all. Conor is still involved with the club and he has put a serious amount of money into our operations since he joined with us."

The SDCC decision is not open to appeal to An Bord Pleanala, although with Rovers unable to pay their staff wages less than two months ago, one wonders how they may summon up the resources to fund a trip to the High Court.

Part of the reasons for the SDCC's refusal to extend the planning permission stems from the involvement of Clarkson.

In its decision, the SDCC said: "The precise nature of the interest, and of the relationship between the club's new investor Conor Clarkson and the applicant, Shamrock Rovers Football Club, is not explained."

Rovers had argued that the failure to complete the project had been due to circumstances beyond their control, a case summarily dismissed by the SDCC, who also questioned a year-long absence of any work on the site.

Sources within Rovers confirmed that the new investor would not release any funds to the club unless planning permission for several commercial developments to complement the stadium plan were forthcoming.

Clarkson has spent much of the last two months endeavouring to secure the control of the lease on the site from Mulden International, one of several companies who have been involved in the seemingly intractable project.

However, an embattled Maguire, who is facing pressure from the club's fans to resign over his handling of the issue, said: "I think any judge will look favourably on our situation."

Given this decision, it is now unclear what may happen to the site in the near future.

Rovers' taunts directed at the SDCC decision are unlikely to leave any avenues open for a renegotiation of the planning permission terms with Council members, who are still believed to strongly favour a stadium at the site.

It is also unclear to whom the lease on the site now passes. Another consortium, led by former manager Liam Buckley and dismissed by the Rovers board earlier this year, may still offer the club a lifeline.

As Eircom League supporters, and Hoops fans in particular, digested the sad events of yesterday, it was left to Maguire to issue one last desperate rallying cry as the club now in his care once more teeters on the verge of possible extinction.

"It's nearly 18 years since we were effectively evicted from Milltown and we've had very little support, particularly political, since," he said.

"People are jumping up and down to save Bewleys. This club is 102 years old and I'm making a public appeal to galvanise Shamrock Rovers' supporters and have this decision rescinded."

© Irish Independent
    http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/ & http://www.unison.ie/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Are you gloating at the misfortune of others Ringo.

Remember that you own club could be history on the whim of one man. That day may not be too far away.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy
    Hard to blame any Dublin City fan for gloating over this one I'm afraid.

I personally think it would be a crying shame if they had to go out of football as a result of all this, but if they did to my club what they did to DCFC, then I'd afford myself the odd wry smile too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wouldn't it be funny

If Rovers only got the first division license because of a lack of stadium and Dublin City got into the premier. Would Roddy jump ship again? Has he a written contract at the moment?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy

Remember that you own club could be history on the whim of one man. That day may not be too far away.
    i just posted the article. can't see them not getting in next year. I've avoided gloating, if you look at all my posts there isn't a or
    Last edited by Ringo; 17/12/2004 at 11:13 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Unlike Ringo, I do think that the Rovers situation is extremely funny. I think the club is a haven for thugs and anti-social behaviour. Im personally sick of the havoc threy wreak when they travel to places like Longford for away games. Rovers fans still seem to think they are a big club. What a joke they are.
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJamaicanP.M.
    Unlike Ringo, I do think that the Rovers situation is extremely funny. I think the club is a haven for thugs and anti-social behaviour. Im personally sick of the havoc threy wreak when they travel to places like Longford for away games. Rovers fans still seem to think they are a big club. What a joke they are.

Id rather see Rovers in the premier than Longford.
    You obviously brand all their supporters with the same stick ?
    Go lí cúnna ifrinn do thóin bheagmhaitheasach

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    I think this is just another indicator in a long line that shows the lack of respect the powers that be in this country have for domestic soccer.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B
    I think this is just another indicator in a long line that shows the lack of respect the powers that be in this country have for domestic soccer.
    No, it shows how incompetent the Rovers board are. SDCC we're only applying the law. Rovers can seek a judicial review if they think they have a valid case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dortie
    Id rather see Rovers in the premier than Longford.
    Same here.
    I don't like Rovers but I'd still hate to lose them from the league whereas I probably wouldn't be bothered in the slightest if a team Longford were to vanish.

That's not meant as an insult to Longford btw.
    Champions!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The more I hear and think about this the more the whole thing stinks and I have got a lot of sympathy for the SDCC view. What is Conor Clarkson's involvement? What does it mean he is trying to get access to the lease. This is SDCC land. Rovers got it and planning permission for a stadium. Clarkson is a property developer who is looking to make money on the deal - absolutely nothing wrong with that - but Rovers should not expect the SDCC to just provide them with a blank blueprint for development. Am I correct inthe conclusion that Clarkson will stump up the money if planning is extended and he gets the lease for one of his companies. A 250 year lease is a very valuable thing - who gets rental income from subletting the space/buildings to other commercial interests.

And then according to Maguire "It's nearly 18 years since we were effectively evicted from Milltown and we've had very little support, particularly political, since". What about the land from SDCC and the original planning permission and the provisional license last season?

I do have sympathy for Rovers fans (my own club has had more than its fair share of mismanagement) - but the club cannot expect the SDCC to just roll over and grant an extension when they don't know who benefits from it and what the legal structure is. The ball is back in Rovers court and instead of answering what seem to be legitmate quesitons they are having a hissy fit.
    "It's impossible to make a man understand something when his livelihood depends on him not understanding" Upton Sinclair

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJamaicanP.M.
    Thanks for that contribution.

Anyone who wants to read more come and join us -

www.srfcultras.net

KOH
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers
    Thanks for that contribution.

Anyone who wants to read more come and join us -

www.srfcultras.net

KOH
    I'm reading it all at moment WAR and it's depressing stuff.
    I see that a lot of the Rovers hardcore are going to boycott the home games next season if Maguire and co are still in control, is this really the best road to go down though as it's only going to further hurt the club financially? Or is there no other viable form of protest?
    Champions!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Colm - we're hoping that the current shower will have nothing to do with SRFC by then. If we have to go out of senior football for a year then so be it.

None of the recent events are news to most Rovers fans, we've been waiting for this to happen and in a weird way it's actually a good thing that it has finally come to a head. We've also been planning for this so watch this space.

There's a lot of ill-informed comment on this site, which is totally understandable due to the depressingly complicated nature of what's going on. That's why I posted the address of our site. It's far too messy and detailed to go into it here.

Finally, thanks for all the good wishes, both here and on our board. To those who are gloating, you obviously don't know much about Irish football.

KOH
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Rovers would be a huge loss to Irish football.

They were always the glamour team - always the most hated too in Limerick but it would be very sad to see them go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers
    None of the recent events are news to most Rovers fans, we've been waiting for this to happen and in a weird way it's actually a good thing that it has finally come to a head. We've also been planning for this so watch this space.
    Fair play to ye.
    You can say a lot of bad things about Rovers fans but in fairness to them they do have a good hardcore support (unlike a lot of other clubs apart from ourselves and Derry) who take action when needs be.
    I hope your protests work and that ye do get rid of Maguire and the other fools who are ruining your club.
    Champions!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Maguire's quoted in the Irish Times as saying the ground is 60% complete - surely this is nonsense? Apparently the pitch is "second to none" as well... Article mentions that the council gave Rovers a very good deal on the land on the grounds that it was for a sports facility, so it's very hard to argue against their decision really.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Apparently they're in real trouble now for the licencing - have to confirm where they're playing by this evening. Dublin City are in Tolka, Pat's are under pressure from the locals not to take them in again and Bohs have said they're not meeint again until Monday! Just highlighted some of the more interesting parts...

Article from ireland.com -

Rovers suffer another blow in stadium saga
    Emmet Malone

Shamrock Rovers officials are awaiting legal advice this morning on how they might salvage their proposed stadium in the heart of Tallaght after planners at South Dublin County Council (SDCC) refused an application for an extension to the project's planning permission.

The decision is a huge blow to the project which has been beset by funding and other problems since its inception some seven years ago.

Initial legal advice provided to the club suggests that no appeal against the decision is possible within the planning process, which leaves Rovers, it seems, with little option but to go to the courts in the hope of having it overturned.

The club's chairman, Tony Maguire, said yesterday he and his fellow directors expect to be given a fuller assessment of the legal impact of the decision by Monday, after which, he hopes, a meeting can be arranged with officials from the council's planning department.

However, he remained defiant in the face of yet another setback, insisting the club would complete the project and establish the stadium at Sean Walsh Park as its permanent home.

"Think about it," he said. "We have a stadium 60 per cent completed and a pitch that is second to none. It's inconceivable that it won't be a soccer stadium and inconceivable that Shamrock Rovers won't play there. The only question remains how we get there."

Maguire conceded, however, that the latest setback to the stadium saga had left him "pretty shook up". He maintained that recently the club had been given reason to believe the extension to the planning permission would be forthcoming, and said he only heard about the refusal on the radio yesterday morning.

"All I can say is that I feel a good deal better about the whole thing now than I did then," he said. "I've spoken to Colin Clarkson (the investor whose promise of financial backing had recently revived hopes that work on the stadium could recommence early in the new year) several times since this morning and he has restated his commitment to the project and his determination to fight this decision.

"This isn't the end of this, that's for sure," he added. "We can't give up fighting now. We'll keep on fighting until Shamrock Rovers are into the stadium for the club's good and the good of Irish football generally."

Clarkson, as it happens, was in Dubai yesterday, reportedly inspecting a stadium that incorporated a number of commercial and other revenue-generating facilities. His plans for the latter stages of the Tallaght development were cited by the planners at SDCC as one of their reasons for refusing the required extension, but perhaps most damaging to the application was that the club had submitted the required paperwork in its own name while technically it does not own the leases to the land in question.

These are in the hands of two companies established after the council had initially provided the land on highly favourable terms for the establishment of a significant sports facility. Maguire said talks aimed at gaining complete control over these so that Clarkson could proceed with his investment in the site were at an advanced stage, but the club appears to have become caught in a chicken and egg situation.

When they made their submission to the council, Rovers' directors believed they had only to persuade the planners that Clarkson, whose total investment is to run to some €8.5 million, had the wherewithal to complete the project. But SDCC, which noted the club's failure to make any progress at all since a 12-month extension was granted last year, pointed out that the Dubliner, despite having reportedly provided more than €100,000 to keep Rovers afloat and a similar amount to pay professional and other fees connected with the stadium development, has no legal link with either the club or the companies which control the site.

Earlier planning difficulties, combined with relentless funding problems, had already led to a scaling back of the proposed sports facilities as well as a proposal to dramatically expand the commercial element of the scheme, although Maguire points out that the latter would require a new planning application.

If yesterday's decision is not overturned, however, then, in planning terms at least, Rovers will be back to square one.

Rovers, meanwhile, have until close of business today to inform the FAI's licensing committee where they will play their home games next season. As of yesterday, after talks with three of their rivals, nothing had been confirmed. With Dublin City set to stay on at Tolka Park, Shelbourne's ground appears to be unavailable, while Bohemians officials said yesterday they would only get around to considering the matter on Monday.

Richmond Park, therefore, appears to be the most likely venue, although St Patrick's Athletic officials, under considerable pressure from residents in Inchicore, have refused to renew the club's tenancy agreement.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 17/12/2004 at 1:05 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    WAR - never mind that last post from the Town fan, I'm a Town fan and really hope you can get this sorted. I don't know the people involved but to be able to keep the club going while all this is going on is a major achievement. Slag them off alright, but what do these people get out of it, would they not be happy to walk away if there was a viable alternative?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shed resident
    i hope rovers stay in existance too so that the city fans can kick the **** out of there ultras yet again!!!!
    LOL good wishes with a sting

Personally I hope for all of us they survive this.
    Go lí cúnna ifrinn do thóin bheagmhaitheasach

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast