Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caulfield signs new 2 year contract

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    People have been saying the league is declining in standard since ever I remember.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    An interesting 10 year old thread is included under "similar threads" at the bottom of this page...

http://foot.ie/threads/22988-Fenlon-...-year-contract

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,358 Posts
    The league must be the equivalent of the Sunday afternoon 5 a side at this stage the way it's been declining in standard for so long.

I don't recall a year on here since I joined this forum that's not had a fan of a former champion of the previous few years stating that the league is in decline.
    Last edited by nigel-harps1954; 02/10/2015 at 11:53 AM.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    The league must be the equivalent of the Sunday afternoon 5 a side at this stage the way it's been declining in standard for so long.

I don't recall a year on here since I joined this forum that's had a fan of a former champion of the previous few years stating that the league is in decline.
    The league was it its peak in 1993, went to sh1t€ for about 12 years before going through a real purple patch around 2005. Sadly it has been in a steady decline since.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    The league was it its peak in 1993, went to sh1t€ for about 12 years before going through a real purple patch around 2005. Sadly it has been in a steady decline since.
    In fairness it hinted at recovery last season and right up to the last day we all thought it was going to be a really good quality year but we realised that wasn't the case at all and we'd been misreading the overall quality that season.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    There's simple criteria to determine whether the league is in decline or not:

Criteria 1: My team has been rubbish for a long time now
    Conclusion: League is in decline

Criteria 2: My team won trophies in the recent past but have dropped off now

Criteria 3: My team is improving and challenging for trophies but haven't won anything yet

Criteria 4: No team has qualified for the group stages of a European competition

Criteria 5: My team is winning trophies
    Conclusion: League is the strongest it has ever been and is on the cusp of European greatness (with a favourable draw!!)

Probably missing a few scenarios but that basically covers most of the scenarios and fans opinions on here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    In fairness it hinted at recovery last season and right up to the last day we all thought it was going to be a really good quality year but we realised that wasn't the case at all and we'd been misreading the overall quality that season.
    A well thought out and logical summation of last years league.
    I mean look at 2005 for an example - 2006 results in Europe were the best ever.
    2015? Dross.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    The league obviously was at its peak when our champions of the time reached the last 16 of the European Cup and that was even before the European Cup was diluted with non champions and became the Champions league...waltzed through preliminary rounds, none of this play-off malarkey - among the top 16 champions in Europe!!

The sudden decline must have happened when one of our UEFA Cup qualifiers were beaten 14-0 the season after another LoI side were unluckily beaten 2-1 by the same English team. At least that what it looks like in the record books

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post

I don't recall a year on here since I joined this forum that's not had a fan of a former champion of the previous few years stating that the league is in decline.
    I can't remember the last team to win the league that wasn't the worst team in recent memory to win it.

13. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12