Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Athlone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    457 Posts

Athlone

Mighty celebrations in Ferrycarrig tonight as the Youths secured the title after a match in which they began slowly, improved as the game went on and ended up dominating. With Rocks again available, he started in an otherwise settled team of Graham, Craig, Gary, Lee, Ryan, Speedy, Peter, Duxey, Eric and with Rocks and Danny up front. First half was very stop-start with ref. Mullally giving a free everytime two players came close to each other. Athlone were also keeping Rocks very quiet in the air with Aidan Dunne outstanding at the back for the Town. On 11 minutes, Duxey lifted the ball over the Athlone defence for Danny to run onto, but he was given offside. On 17 minutes, Rocks had a header cleared off the line and, a minute later, Danny had a free-kick a couple of feet over the bar. A committed Athlone side then picked up two yellows and, on 38 minutes, Athlone's Purdy had a free on target from nearly 45 out, but it was an easy catch for Graham, who had misjudged a routine cross earlier on which went for a corner.
    Last edited by ForzaForth; 25/09/2015 at 10:03 PM.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    457 Posts
    With three minutes to go in the half, Danny had a near-post header from the second of two corners, but Dunican in Athlone's goal was able to grab it. 0-0 at half-time with the Youths the better side, but not able to notch anything on the scoreboard and with Athlone having picked up a third card. Youths continued to build the pressure from the start of the second half, and with four minutes gone, Speedy Whittle had a chance on goal for the Youths, but Dunican managed to save with his legs. Doyle then picked up Athlone's fourth card as they continued to battle against a Youth's team which looked quicker round the pitch. Then, on 17 minutes the Youths got the goal which their pressure deserved when Danny met a corner at the far post with his head to put the Youths 1-0 up. Speedy then immediately had another effort on goal to kill the game, but Dunican again saved with his legs to divert the ball for a corner. Athlone's Purdy then got a yellow for a tackle and was followed into the referee's notebook by Craig McCabe of the Youths. Eric Molloy then had a shot blocked on the Athlone line after Dunican, possibly impeded, had spilt a routine catch. With seven minutes to go, all nerves were settled when Eric came inside his marker down the left hand side for the Youths and drilled a low shot past Dunican to put the Youths 2-0 up.
    Last edited by ForzaForth; 25/09/2015 at 10:03 PM.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    457 Posts
    Shane Keegan brought on Hopper Kenny and Craig Wall at this stage (Conor English had come on earlier) and the Youths, now dominant, were able to create two more chances by the end, with Eric hitting a difficult volley wide from a cross by Rocks and right on the 90 minutes, Danny's cross being steered home by Rocks Keenan to fix the final scoreline at 3-0. Other than a few half-chances in the second half, Athlone hadn't really looked like scoring although, to give them credit, they won more than the usual amount of ball in the air against the tall Wexford back four. Best for Wexford were Danny as usual up front with Duxey Dunne and Peter Higgins also excellent in the middle of the park. At the back, Ryan Delaney was exceptional at left-full and is improving game by game. 3-0 at full-time with crowd called at 1,321.
    Last edited by ForzaForth; 25/09/2015 at 10:20 PM.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Congratulations to Wexford. Look forward to welcoming ye to Finn Park in a few weeks time.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    457 Posts
    Cheers, Nigel

Best of luck in the play-offs. You should get through to the final, at least.

A lot of people talking about this picture from last night (no jokes about tax!).

[SIZE=2]https://www.facebook.com/pdoylephotography/photos/a.990046217724246.1073741871.894866237242245/990048171057384/?type=3&permPage=1
    [/SIZE]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Fantastic night and one I never thought I would see. But FF have you any idea why we had a minute's silence for the victims of the Great Famine beforehand? A bit random I thought. Or did I mishear the announcer?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunny Jim View Post
    Fantastic night and one I never thought I would see. But FF have you any idea why we had a minute's silence for the victims of the Great Famine beforehand? A bit random I thought. Or did I mishear the announcer?
    Happened right across the League of Ireland this weekend. A little bit silly if you ask me.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

12. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Happened right across the League of Ireland this weekend. A little bit silly if you ask me.
    was this an order from the minister in the government?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?