Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Jets @ Pittsburgh
    Rams @ Falcons
    Vikings @ Philadelphia
    Indianapolis @ New England

Just picking the Rams for an upset(Can't stand them) But it is a dome game and if Vick has a bad day........well, ya never know. That's why they play the game
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm sticking with my initial hunch of the Falcons for the super bowl this year - hope I'm right as I said it at the start of this thread and I'll look all knowlegable and all when I clearly know jack schitt!!!
    Foot.ie - NFL Fantasy Football Champion, 2006!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlosIRL
    I'll look all knowlegable and all when I clearly know jack schitt!!!
    Same here .....
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'd love to see the Colts go all the way this year. I take it SKY are covering these games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shedite
    Next weekend, Indianapolis V New England. Gonna be huge. Colts should have beaten them on the first day this season, and will also be looking for revenge after loosing last year in playoffs.

Predictions for next weekend (winners in bold)

Jets @ Pittsburgh
    Rams @ Falcons
    Vikings @ Philadelphia
    Indianapolis @ New England

Only one that I'm a bit iffy is the Eagles. They have been dodgy since TO got injured. Can't see Pittsburgh loosing and the Rams and useless outdoors.

What do other people predict?
    NFC Game Falcons v Eagles

AFC Patriots v Steelers

Cant believe that everybody is backing the Colts. New Engalnd to win another close game GO PATS!!!!!!!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    preview of the weekend taken from skysports.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    After a wacky wild-card round, will things revert to the form book in this weekend's Divisional play-offs?

Despite a 9-31 record over the past decade for the away team in the opening round of the post-season and of course an inferior regular season record to their hosts, three of the four road teams prevailed for the first time in history last week.

Aided by a week's rest, the home teams also have a 31-9 record over the last ten years in the Divisional play-offs and the hosts Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Philadelphia and New England combined for 15 more regular season wins than the visitors.

There is a 2/1 accumulator on victories for the Steelers, Falcons, Eagles and Patriots.

The New York Jets know they face an incredible challenge when they head to Pittsburgh on Saturday.

The 10-6 Jets backed into the play-offs but upset San Diego in overtime on the road last week in a game they should have settled in regulation had it not been for a missed field goal and an apoplectic personal foul by Eric Barton.

But the Steelers are in the middle of a 14-match winning run and became only the fourth team in NFL history to finish 15-1. The previous three have all reached at least the Conference Championship.

Bill Cowher's men were undefeated at Heinz Field this year and one of those victories came against the Jets when the League's number one defense stifled the men from the Big Apple in a 17-6 success.

Chad Pennington threw three interceptions in that game as he failed to withstand the Steelers' pass rush while the NFL rushing champion, Curtis Martin who is so integral to the Jets offense, was held to just 72 yards on 24 carries.

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has yet to taste defeat as a starter after masterminding 13 wins in his rookie year and the return to full fitness of running backs Duce Staley and Jerome Bettis should allow Big Ben to keep it simple in a game of field position.

St Louis are the first team in history with a .500 record to reach the final eight and after winning in Seattle will be confident of another repeat in Atlanta.

Mike Martz can take a lot of positives into Georgia - the game is in a Dome, ideal for his speedy offense, he faces a Falcons pass defense ranked only 22nd in the League and his much-malgined run defense held the Seahawks to just 71 yards on the ground in the Wild Card.

However a video of the earlier meeting of the teams this season may provide a sharp wake-up as the Falcons crushed the Rams 34-17, gaining 242 yards on the ground in the process.

That was the first of seven home wins for the Birds and although Warrick Dunn and TJ Duckett provide an excellent one-two punch in the backfield it's the running threat of quarterback Michael Vick that makes the Atlanta offense dangerous.

But the key to this game could well lie in Atlanta's defense that led the league with 48 sacks and was tied for seventh with 19 interceptions.

The Rams are unable to pound the ball on the ground with Marshall Faulk's returns diminishing so the hosts will look to tee off on quarterback Mark Bulger and force the Rams, whose turnover ratio this season is a pathetic minus 24, into costly mistakes.

Few gave Minnesota a chance before their trip to Green Bay last week, even fewer are giving them hope ahead of their trip to clear NFC favourites Philadephia.

The Vikings had lost seven of their last 10 regular season games before shocking the fans at Lambeau and they must hope for a similar inspired performance when they visit the Eagles who won all seven of their home games before wheeling out the back-ups for their regular season finale with the Bengals.

Depending on your perspective, the Eagles could be exceptionally fresh or exceptionally sluggish as their key players, including quarterback Donovan McNabb, have not seen significant action for a month after home field advantage throughout the play-offs was sealed in mid-December.

But McNabb, who threw for 31 touchdowns this season - the third highest tally in the League, should be able to get back into the groove, despite the continued absence of key receiver Terrell Owens, against a pass defense rated as the fifth worst in the NFL.

Minnesota always have quick-strike potential with Daunte Culpepper, coming off a career-best 39 TD passes, and enigmatic superstar receiver Randy Moss fresh from his two touchdown display in Green Bay.

But Culpepper was sacked four times in the Eagles' 27-16 win in September and with a potent pass-rush that racked up 47 sacks and with three All-Pros in the secondary, it's hard to see the Eagles not making a fourth consecutive trip to the NFC Championship game.

The schedule may well have saved the best for last as Peyton Manning and the potent Indianapolis offense visit defending Super Bowl champions New England.

Manning has set NFL season records for touchdowns with 49 and for passer rating this season and inspired his team to 49 points in last week's wild-card victory over Denver, the sixth time in 11 games the Colts had broken the 40 point barrier.

And his three receivers Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne and Brandon Stokley, each of whom had at least 10 TDs this season, should be able to find spaces against a Patriots defense missing both its' starting cornerbacks and also possibly tackle Richard Seymour, the key to the inside pass rush.

But and it's a big but - Manning's is 0-6 at Foxboro in his career and has seen his team commit seven turnovers in their last two visits, a 24-14 defeat in last season's AFC Championship game and a 27-24 in this year's curtain raiser.

The Patriots normally just find a way to win. They have won six consecutive play-off games and 19 in a row in Massachusetts.

Quarterback Tom Brady has a 100% record in the post-season and he will hope that Corey Dillon, who ran for a franchise-record 1635 yards this season, can consistently move the chains against a run defense ranked only 24th in the NFL, to open up potential big plays from play-action passes.
    Whatever it was I am sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    so much for the Colts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Good to see the Falcons still making it look like I know something about NFL.... !!

Although I do believe the superbowl winners will come from the AFC this year again by the looks of it but am definetly supporting the Falcons this year!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    yeah they were pretty poor last night... not so much that they were poor, more the Pats defence was red hot....
    Whatever it was I am sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruairi
    yeah they were pretty poor last night... not so much that they were poor, more the Pats defence was red hot....
    Defense AND offence was red hot 9 differnet recievers and over 150 yards on the ground and they kept hold of the ball 3 times as much as the colts. Manning may be the MVP but it was clear to see who the better QB was last night. Sets up a perfect set of Championship games with the four best teams with the best records left.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    My fears of the Steelers choking, again, look well founded. Needed OT to beat the Jets.
    Check out my new sports blog http://www.action81.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Eagles and the Pats it is here in sunny Jacksonville. Anyone want to predict the score.

Eagles 35 Pats 28 in an upset

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    The Eagles need TO back badly. And not just a half fit TO, they need him fully fit. The Pats defence will be able to contain Westbrook, they defo need another output. Can't see them upsetting any other way.

Although, all my predictions have been wrong for the playoffs so far
    The glass isn't half full or half empty it's just too damn big!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    My forecast of doom came true, reckon Pats will go on to claim the Superbowl (which is actually a good thing, just wish they hadn't beaten Steelers on the way).
    Check out my new sports blog http://www.action81.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Bit of a silly question this, but does anywhere here on the gorgous island of Ireland do a Super Bowl Party night?? Went to one in london a couple of years back. great craic. Otherwise, It's me and a few bottles of miller and a bag of nacho's come Sunday night!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I'd love a superbowl party. Doubt any pubs will be open though. Last week some pub turned off the TV when the steelers were 4th and goal. Basically 40 seconds later and people would have known the outcome!

I'll be watchin it in my house anyway. Sucks!
    The glass isn't half full or half empty it's just too damn big!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Been in Capt America's on grafton st for the last 4 superbowls.
    great night, loadsa beer and hot dogs and stuff.
    U dont have to eat there either just a 5er in (i think) and you can stand/sit at the bar and watch the game
    Also heard that Buskers & The Portobello are doing some stuff this year

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    What did ye all think? SuperBowl or SuperBore. Thought it was Ok myself. Dissapointed with the Eagles coaching. Some strange decisions in the last four minutes. McNabb did not play his best game nor did their running game. Pat's deserved it in the end. Halftime show rocked the house.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It was alright, mcnabb poor, wasnt the most exiciting game in the world. that and i hate the pats for some reason (stupid fcuking dynasty).

have to admit paul mccartney singing hey jude with the fireworks and all that was the highlight of the night... except for pauls "we love you superbowl" sh!te...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruairi

have to admit paul mccartney singing hey jude with the fireworks and all that was the highlight of the night... except for pauls "we love you superbowl" sh!te...
    I think he forgot what city he was in

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast