Thread: Shamrock Rovers ask RTÉ to stay away from Tallaght to boost crowds

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts

Shamrock Rovers ask RTÉ to stay away from Tallaght to boost crowds

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-31515540.html

This is a weird one because while I think moving kickoffs forward to 7.05 is a balls, otherwise I think Delaney and the FAI are right on this one.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-31515540.html

This is a weird one because while I think moving kickoffs forward to 7.05 is a balls, otherwise I think Delaney and the FAI are right on this one.
    Very short term thinking by Shamrock Rovers. Perhaps money is very tight at the moment?

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Any chance it is to highlight the lack of payment for matches?

Do RTE not pay anything to anybody, or is it that payment to the FAI never makes it to the clubs?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Perhaps money is very tight at the moment?
    I did think that when I saw it first.

They are right though, it's ridiculous that clubs don't get paid for games that are on TV.
    Here on a technicality.

6. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    There's no question they have a point- but saying you don't want to be on TV sends out a terrible message to sponsors. Perhaps this letter wasn't meant to go public- there was no mention on the Rovers site earlier today.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Very silly statement from Rovers. While it's ridiculous that clubs don't receive any payment, for a club like Shamrock Rovers to appear live on TV around 6 or 7 times a year as well as the weekly highlights show, this is something to appeal greatly to sponsors. If they're not on live TV, missing out on huge exposure outside of those at the games, it's just not as attractive to a big name sponsor.

I know Harps changed the McGettigans sponsor logo on the blue jersey last season especially for the FAI Cup semi live on TV vs Pats and it proved a huge hit with the sponsors. Small things like that really help a clubs image with sponsors. Telling television companies to stay away does them no favours outside of possibly adding 200 people on the gates.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post

Do RTE not pay anything to anybody, or is it that payment to the FAI never makes it to the clubs?
    I remember FAI had to write off 5 million of TV deal will RTE for internationals, in return RTE had to show live games & MNS on at 7pm. Not sure what happens now as all international TV are centralised through UFEA

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Action like this shouldn't be done unilaterally - this is why the clubs need a body of their own to discuss issues that effect everyone.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainee View Post
    I remember FAI had to write off 5 million of TV deal will RTE for internationals, in return RTE had to show live games & MNS on at 7pm. Not sure what happens now as all international TV are centralised through UFEA
    RTE have claimed otherwise, and the €5m was never accounted for in any books

The bottom line is clubs don't see a penny from having their games live on TV

RTE have shown 2 Rovers games this year.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Well the FAI may say a deal was done with RTE to incorporate retaining Soccer Rep and live games, but its quite correct that clubs do not get a cent and that's totally wrong. I would say a figure of €5k per match would be about right, maybe even build in a small payment to the away side, like 1k, but we know this will never happen.

Apart from exposure and for sponsors, there really is not that much in it for clubs to have games on live, most will see a reduced attendance with few exceptions.

The statement is strange though, a better route would be for all clubs to lobby the FAI for a change in dare I say 'fair play'
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Also, that deal with RTE and the FAI is finished for international games

The qualifiers for Euros and WC are centrally sold and Setanta show the friendlies
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    It's a pain in the ass losing money on the televised games but the sponsors love them, and greater exposure to the general public is probably good for the clubs.I am sure S DCC get a kick out of showcasing their stadium too
    Surprising that Rovers went public on it.Delaney will have tthem back on message by this evening I'd say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    I think the point most are missing is the 7:05 kick off's, these effect attendance more than anything else really, How in the name of god is your average supporter meant to get from say, Galway to Inchicore for a 7:05 KO without having to get time off work. I personally think they should have to stick to the Home Clubs standard KO times and have no say in changing them to suit the Late Late show.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnie View Post
    I think the point most are missing is the 7:05 kick off's, these effect attendance more than anything else really, How in the name of god is your average supporter meant to get from say, Galway to Inchicore for a 7:05 KO without having to get time off work. I personally think they should have to stick to the Home Clubs standard KO times and have no say in changing them to suit the Late Late show.
    100%. Earlier kick offs are a nonsense.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    I would have thought that setting kick-off times to maximise attendance from home fans would be the best way, rather than worrying about whether the away fans can make it or not.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    What's crazy is that the live league game is shown at the same time as a full league programme involving all the other teams. Can't imagine this happens anywhere else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Whatever about it being bad for Rovers the neutral or casual observer would love to be tuning in to the Tallaght visit of Dundalk next month. That reversed fixture was live last season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    What's crazy is that the live league game is shown at the same time as a full league programme involving all the other teams. Can't imagine this happens anywhere else.
    Well there is certainly a full programme of matches in England while maybe 3 back to back games are televised. I get where you are coming from though - when a game is televised the main audience are out watching their own team league wide and also including the fans of the 2 teams being televised. Ive done it myself where Ive watched some of a televised game in Oriel Park in the Lilywhite Lounge and there are some who dont leave the lounge at all to go out to the game. The recent Tuesday night game v Rovers was the ideal in being the only fixture that night and the gate seemed unaffected with nearly 4000 at the game. A prior Monday night game not televised v St Pats had 3800 at it. The viewing figures of tlevised games like these compared to a full fixture Friday would indicate a trend or not.

Its not obvious whether Rovers are fronting a public stand or whether such a letter wasnt for general consumption. If the game in Tallaght v Dundalk turns out to be the night to retain the league if results go a particular way it could impact attendance a bit I suppose, as some choose to stay in Dundalk and then welcome the team back to Oriel as opposed to being there to soak it up. If Rovers slip up again then attendances are bound to fall off anyhow. The Cork v Pats cup match was pretty stark in backing up Rover's current stance. Teams should certainly be paid something for their games to be televised. Selling rights abroad was a recent talking point, but in the end there is, or needs to be a confidence that the live match night experience is good enough to offset the casual fan who will take the easy and cheaper option. Weather is just as influential in knocking off a good few hundred of an attendance as live TV coverage - even at Tallaght, one of the best wind tunnels in the country depending.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 11/09/2015 at 1:34 AM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    It is an odd one - broadcasting a game when a large chunk of the most likely audience are at other matches. RTE's history of changing games to/on days other than Friday are chequered too though. 3pm Saturday games in Sligo for example.

Far as the letter goes, I'd say it was someone in RTE or somebody who saw it in RTE who leaked it. Rovers probably come out of this looking worst, and the board aren't really into doing things in public, even though Fenlon is.

I'd say probably the only reason Rovers even sent the letter is they know RTE actually do want Rovers on TV so might try to compromise and keep kick-off times at 8 in future. I certainly don't think Rovers actually want none of the home games televised, they just want it on better terms. Dundalk are probably the only other team in the league who'd be able to utilise that sort of clout.
    Last edited by Charlie Darwin; 11/09/2015 at 1:20 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    One significant change that would stop the we'll do what we want attitude would be rounding off the KO times. 7.05 PM leave it at 7pm and so on - I know they want their 2 to 3 minutes of intro but have have the KO on the quarter hours and the coverage start at 6.55pm etc. Its a small tweak I know and maybe daft but hey...

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast