Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Uefa ponders third club competition

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    This is going ahead so - https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018...b-competition/

Europa League third place teams will drop down into the knock-outs, and the winner will get a spot in the Europa League.

Starting in 2021; 32 teams in the groups. No word yet as to whether this means more clubs in Europe - and where they'll come from - or if it just means the CL and EL will be more restricted
    This has another epic UCD assault on Europe written all over it, eh p stu? lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Details are here in the access list: https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles...2_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Basically good for the champion (as champions now have 2 safety nets).

Terrible for non-champions as no way for them to get into the UEL other than win UEL2.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    What is far more important is what colour Cork City's 3rd EL2 away shirt might be.......

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    I didn't realise how dramatic the change was.... basically they're kicking everyone from countries like Scotland, Croatia, Sweden and down to Ireland, Finland, NI, Wales etc out of the EL to make it easier for the likes of Ajax, Villarreal and Everton. If, and it's a big if, the new competition is financed as well as the EL qualifying is now it'll not make a huge amount of difference to the LoI qualifiers- indeed it'd make group qualification a realistic target. If it's not financed generously it'll be a disaster for the league (and similar leagues), especially when it looks like there's even more protection (and therefore cold hard cash) for the small countries champions. If Celtic/Bate/Dinamo Zagreb/TNS/HJK Helsinki keep winning titles it has the potential to make it almost impossible for the rest to compete.... and obviously if any LoI club could win 6 or 7 titles in a short period of time they could well disappear over the horizon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    So all of our current EL spots will change to EL2?!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Looks that way, yeah.

Is the EL going from 64 teams in the groups to 32?

Would have been nice to be able to use the extra tournament to invite one extra club per country in Europe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Looks that way, yeah.

Is the EL going from 64 teams in the groups to 32?

Would have been nice to be able to use the extra tournament to invite one extra club per country in Europe.
    48 to 32 I think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    48 to 32.... 12 groups of 4 down to 8, with the 8 group winners into the Last 16 and the 8 runners-up playing the 8 Champions League third placers to join them, it seems.

But yeh, basically 90% of the current Europa League participants are being fecked out into the new competition

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    I didn't realise how dramatic the change was.... basically they're kicking everyone from countries like Scotland, Croatia, Sweden and down to Ireland, Finland, NI, Wales etc out of the EL to make it easier for the likes of Ajax, Villarreal and Everton. If, and it's a big if, the new competition is financed as well as the EL qualifying is now it'll not make a huge amount of difference to the LoI qualifiers- indeed it'd make group qualification a realistic target. If it's not financed generously it'll be a disaster for the league (and similar leagues), especially when it looks like there's even more protection (and therefore cold hard cash) for the small countries champions. If Celtic/Bate/Dinamo Zagreb/TNS/HJK Helsinki keep winning titles it has the potential to make it almost impossible for the rest to compete.... and obviously if any LoI club could win 6 or 7 titles in a short period of time they could well disappear over the horizon
    Jeez could you boys have picked the right time to come I to the money!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    did i see somewhere a Thursday 3pm or 3.30pm k/o for these games in uel2 ?
    Good cash involved but that k/o time is stoopid!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Money would have to be good as that kick off time would kill the gate.
    Unless it's bohs in Europe as they don't work. Or is Thursday dole day ? Could be a problem

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    did i see somewhere a Thursday 3pm or 3.30pm k/o for these games in uel2 ?
    Good cash involved but that k/o time is stoopid!
    4.30 kick off

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    I only noticed this too, that the Europa will be shortened and no extra europe places. Were Uefa slow to publicize this part or what? Dont know what to think of it to be honest, could be great or could be another intertwobob cup.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    So basically clubs like Valencia and Zenit and Everton (not exactly top ranking, but established and familiar to the bar-stool type supporter) are now literally 'out of our (Europa) league'? Irish clubs will now be playing teams from countries Luxembourg and Lithuania with no prospect at getting at the 'big boys'?? Can't see this going down well withe Dundalk's owners, for example - or any other potential foreign investors. Is this really the future, or have I missed something?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Money would have to be good as that kick off time would kill the gate.
    Unless it's bohs in Europe as they don't work. Or is Thursday dole day ? Could be a problem
    probably about the right time in Australia, so shams owner can watch the game live

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    I only noticed this too, that the Europa will be shortened and no extra europe places. Were Uefa slow to publicize this part or what? Dont know what to think of it to be honest, could be great or could be another intertwobob cup.
    If enough money is put into it the competition could have a good upside for LOI club - further safety net for LOI winners and possibility of further/longer involvement for LOI runner up.But it will probably mean the end of any chance of 'attractive' opposition (i.e. big name clubs). It will all depend on what's its worth to qualify for the UEL2 group stage.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    So basically clubs like Valencia and Zenit and Everton (not exactly top ranking, but established and familiar to the bar-stool type supporter) are now literally 'out of our (Europa) league'? Irish clubs will now be playing teams from countries Luxembourg and Lithuania with no prospect at getting at the 'big boys'?? Can't see this going down well withe Dundalk's owners, for example - or any other potential foreign investors. Is this really the future, or have I missed something?
    The flip side I suppose is that there's more chance of the Irish side getting out of their group. A last-48 round tie might spark some interest.

Though the reality is Irish clubs have gotten to two group stages in 26 years; we're hardly affected in reality. What big Europa League draws have we had in qualifying? (Leave out Cork v Legia as that was really a CL tie)

I like the idea of smaller countries getting to the group stages; it could turn Europe into more than just a four-week thing in pre-season and could spark local interest.

I would rather more clubs qualified for Europe as a result. Could Dundalk really end up playing in all three competitions? That's daft and just takes a qualifying spot from someone else.

And 4:30 kick-offs - presumably for group stages only? - is obviously mad

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    I hate this idea of clubs failing in one competition and parachuting into the other. For example third place teams in EL groups going into Europa League knockouts is just daft. Less against it in the earlier rounds for smaller countries but the die is being loaded more and more in favour of the big clubs all the time.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    I'd say the Dundalk owners are doing handstands, they have a bigger budget than everyone else and the Champions are only 1 win away from group stages every year...and thanks to the recent run they will probably be seeded for that match....

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    I hate this idea of clubs failing in one competition and parachuting into the other. For example third place teams in EL groups going into Europa League knockouts is just daft. Less against it in the earlier rounds for smaller countries but the die is being loaded more and more in favour of the big clubs all the time.
    But that's what everything UEFA does is about.

They're fighting a fruitless incremental struggle against a breakaway European Super League. And instead they're introducing one by stealth very very slowly in an attempt to keep the big clubs on board. But I suspect they'll dump UEFA when it suits them any way - hence why it's inevitably fruitless in the longer term for UEFA to struggle to retain relevance in this way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast