Athlone Town

Sounds like we are rightly screwed. Surprised if we have a club next year

http://www.thesun.ie/irishsol/homepa...er-_-231003440
    Athlone Town AFC 1887-2017

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,360 Posts
    Funny, at Harps last home game v Shelbourne, one Cork Tom told me that Athlone were screwed and they wouldn't be in the league next year.

The oracle has spoken....The Sun has listened.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    I hope this can be sorted in the Midlands. Athlone was always a good place to go for a game and I used to like when they'd come up to Dublin and the resulting goalfest (early '90s). I thought they'd a major cash injection and sorted all their debts some time ago?
    http://www.championat.com/bets/artic...r-week-16.html

Giving the Russians a weekly taste of our glorious LOI!

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Sadly this is what I was hearing from friends of players back in May so it's been coming for a while. If Athlone do pull out and with stories circulating about Cabinteely looking to do the same due to costs it really makes the first division a joke next season.

There is a serious problem in Limerick over the last number of years with traditionally strong teams having to pull out of the leagues and come back a few years later starting from the bottom. You have league of Ireland clubs continually struggling to get through a season and you have an international team as weak as it has been in a long time and not looking like it will get much better. Football in Ireland is in a seriously poor state. Barr Dundalk I think most people would have to admit the league is getting weaker despite the injection of a few ex-Irish internationals.
    Last edited by Jofspring; 03/09/2015 at 7:31 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    Sadly this is what I was hearing from friends of players back in May so it's been coming for a while. If Athlone do pull out and with stories circulating about Cabinteely looking to do the same due to costs it really makes the first division a joke next season.

There is a serious problem in Limerick over the last number of years with traditionally strong teams having to pull out of the leagues and come back a few years later starting from the bottom. You have league of Ireland clubs continually struggling to get through a season and you have an international team as weak as it has been in a long time and not looking like it will get much better. Football in Ireland is in a seriously poor state. Barr Dundalk I think most people would have to admit the league is getting weaker despite the injection of a few ex-Irish internationals.
    This is unfortunately all too true.

I am hearing worrying reports from people in Drogheda about whether they will be able to continue in the first division, if relegated.

The only money coming into Irish football is European money. That is exclusively for the benefit of four clubs (five this year). The rest don't have a pot to p1ss in.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Even before the season there were disturbing noises from Athlone, and those have only increased as the year has gone on. It seems they gambled on promotion this season and it never looked like happening. Hopefully they pull through though.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    272 Posts

I am hearing worrying reports from people in Drogheda about whether they will be able to continue in the first division, if relegated.

The only money coming into Irish football is European money. That is exclusively for the benefit of four clubs (five this year). The rest don't have a pot to p1ss in.
    This is truth I haven't a clue how clubs run only only merger gates & poor prize money this is why armageddon is feared if we dont get europe this year it has become vital to nto just compete but to survive.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    I hope this can be sorted in the Midlands. Athlone was always a good place to go for a game and I used to like when they'd come up to Dublin and the resulting goalfest (early '90s). I thought they'd a major cash injection and sorted all their debts some time ago?
    This was to clear the stadium debt. The club itself has long running historical debt I believe

11. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ATFC-1887 View Post
    This was to clear the stadium debt. The club itself has long running historical debt I believe
    The stadium is owned by Athlone Town Stadium Limited CRO370008. This company does not operate/run Athlone Town FC. The stadium was part financed by a grant of €2,850,000 from the Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism and this amount was secured as a charge on the company's assets in 2007. Per the abridged audited accounts there was a sum of €3,103,649 in long term creditors at May, 2014. There is no breakdown of this figure available.

I do not know the entity that runs ATFC.

I recall a number of years ago, reported by RTE, that ATFC received a bequest. I understood at the time that it was to go towards the club's debts.

13. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    This is truth I haven't a clue how clubs run only only merger gates & poor prize money this is why armageddon is feared if we dont get europe this year it has become vital to nto just compete but to survive.
    Before the Cork match I was doing a radio piece here about Pats and how European football was vital. 1 of the studio guests had the cheek to ask me - "What is wrong with Irish clubs, why can't they balance their budgets?" It took all within me to keep from telling him to, you know, his club, Zenit, are not just outside the FFP, they were bankrupt only a few years ago and but for the need for Gazprom to limit taxes and wash money, they'd be gone.

From what I believe Irish clubs do a great job just to survive, but when survival (financial) is the key aim, where is growth, development and expansion. After a while you just get tired of surviving and think, there has to be something better than this! Dundalk are lucky as they've hit a run of good form under a good coach, with good players. A downturn and Oriel is a wasteland again. And if the boys from Fastfix pull back, it's over for the club.

I really hope Athlone pull through, and Cabinteely too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    370 Posts
    Im not sure what the wage structure is the FD, but there will always be a few trying to spend big(ish) to get promoted. However I really think clubs in the FD should just pay expenses, maybe some/most are, and offer it out to players to at least have a chance of playing at a higher level. It would be a disaster if Athlone pulled out, especially after making such brilliant stadium progress, but then again trying to attract fans to watch FD is not an easy job.

Spud, just on Dundalk, you should know that 'The boys from fastfix' are actively trying to resolve the lease issue, this is the main stumbling block on why the ground has not been improved of late, however I will admit it has been left in a poor state for decades now with little spectator investment apart from new seating to areas already there. There are also no signs they will 'pull back', and even without any European money and moderate second place prize money, they returned a small profit from the Football Club in figures that were released in 2014 (that did not include the league winning prize money)

Back on topic, I hope Athlone can sort things out, but a more widespread problem is that First Division.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Im not sure what the wage structure is the FD, but there will always be a few trying to spend big(ish) to get promoted. However I really think clubs in the FD should just pay expenses, maybe some/most are, and offer it out to players to at least have a chance of playing at a higher level. It would be a disaster if Athlone pulled out, especially after making such brilliant stadium progress, but then again trying to attract fans to watch FD is not an easy job.

Spud, just on Dundalk, you should know that 'The boys from fastfix' are actively trying to resolve the lease issue, this is the main stumbling block on why the ground has not been improved of late, however I will admit it has been left in a poor state for decades now with little spectator investment apart from new seating to areas already there. There are also no signs they will 'pull back', and even without any European money and moderate second place prize money, they returned a small profit from the Football Club in figures that were released in 2014 (that did not include the league winning prize money)

Back on topic, I hope Athlone can sort things out, but a more widespread problem is that First Division.
    Oriel, I know you read my comment in a positive like, the 2 boys are brilliant and in my dealings with them in the past showed they are not just Dundalk men, but out and out decent guys who love sport, Dundalk and doing the best. The lease issue scared away other investors who were in talks with Gerry, and if it stays the same Oriel is not going to be the place it can be. I would love if they could get some sense from the Casey's (not that they're not sensible) and really get the club the way they want it.

You hit the nail on the head, the First Division is the issue. I had a look last night on the crowd numbers, when a team drops to it, the crowds are 1/3 or more down. This reflects teams with big travelling support or curiosity value. It really looks like 1 league of 16 teams is the only way to go.

17. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    The annual "club in a mess because of the FAI approving their desperate fantasy uncosted budget at licensing."
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePrisoner View Post
    The stadium is owned by Athlone Town Stadium Limited CRO370008. This company does not operate/run Athlone Town FC. The stadium was part financed by a grant of €2,850,000 from the Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism and this amount was secured as a charge on the company's assets in 2007. Per the abridged audited accounts there was a sum of €3,103,649 in long term creditors at May, 2014. There is no breakdown of this figure available.

I do not know the entity that runs ATFC.

I recall a number of years ago, reported by RTE, that ATFC received a bequest. I understood at the time that it was to go towards the club's debts.
    pardon my lack of knowledge what is earth is a bequest?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Something you leave in your will.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

21. Thanks From:

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    ... they returned a small profit from the Football Club in figures that were released in 2014 (that did not include the league winning prize money)
    There was figures released in 2014? News to me, although I am aware that Ciaran Bond said in newspaper interview that the club turned a profit in 2013.

Can you enlighten as to where these figures were released?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    There was figures released in 2014? News to me, although I am aware that Ciaran Bond said in newspaper interview that the club turned a profit in 2013.

Figures were released this year. Club turned a loss in 2013 but a profit in 2014. 2013 was realistically a profit as European money hadn't been taking in to account.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Louth4sam View Post
    Figures were released this year. Club turned a loss in 2013 but a profit in 2014. 2013 was realistically a profit as European money hadn't been taking in to account.
    How were they released? Were they published? Is there a link?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post

Cro.ie

Need to pay to download.

26. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post

The chairman told me directly that Drogs could NOT survive in division 1.
    However that may have changed now that United Park has been sold and City North hotel is set to invest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast