Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: GUFC Vs Drogheda Monday 17th August

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

GUFC Vs Drogheda Monday 17th August

Massive game. Really need something to stop the rot. Curran, Connolly, Ludden, Walsh, Cunningham and O'Connell all out. Doubts over Shanahan and Cantwell. Horgan picked up his 5th booking against Bohs. Not sure if he will be banned for this game or the next? A few U-19s are going to have to be given a chance. Drogs havent been great lately but with so many players out I'd take a draw.
    Galway United - Connacht Champions 2008

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    If we don't get something out of it we're in serious bother now that Sligo and Limerick have decided to wake up.
    Founder, President and Sole Member of the Tipperary Galway United Supporters Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Horgan definitely suspended along with Curran. I know he was fairly hopeless but letting Kevin Garcia go when we were already short a few bodies seems like a mad decision now. Hard to know what kind of team we can field tomorrow night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    We will have to bring in one of the younger lads as we don't have any other players. We have only one first choice defender available.

My best guess at the team would be

Hanley
    Raftery Sinnott Oji Cantwell (I think he played LB a bit for Wexford)
    Shanahan Byrne O'Leary Barry Molloy
    Keegan

My guess is Conor Barry is the best of the young lads as he's been in the squad all year - don't really know McConnell or Melody who were on the bench at Bohs but it looks like 4-5-1 will be the best option.

Drogheda have been on a terrible run (1 point and 2 goals from 6 games) so it's a real pity we're so decimated as it's a game we could definitely have won. I'm actually not sure I'd take a draw - I still think we can win.

As has been said on another forum though a draw would be better than a defeat!
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Cantwell and Barry are both out with injuries. Going to be a few league of Ireland debuts for some of the U-19s.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Seems like we have 10 players available who have ever played in the league. Two of them are goal keepers. Connor Winn came up for a corner a few weeks back so he can play up front! The U-19s haven't even played a competitive game yet have they? Can't ever remember being down to the bare bones like this before.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    I see Antaine O'Laoi is available - I was under the impression he'd left the club.

I would say he may play LB. If Barry is out we'll probably have to go 4-4-2 with Melody playing alongside Jake up front.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    A hard fought draw. Keegan and Hanley were immense. Under serious pressure at times so happy enough with the point. The under 19 players didn't do badly. Melody had a great run in the second half, o'laoi did well too. No subs used. Hopefully have a few bodies back for Friday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    From the sounds of it, it was a good point.

Bodies or not I think we'll do well to get near Dundalk's first team. Beat Pat's 4-1 in one half last night!

The crowd was a big disappointment - there were good crowds in Sligo and particularly Limerick to cheer on their teams but we had by far and away our worst crowd of the season when the team probably needs it most.

In fairness it was a pretty unattractive fixture for a Monday night but still we should have been getting over 1k at it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GuisaSaigon View Post
    A hard fought draw. Keegan and Hanley were immense...The under 19 players didn't do badly. Melody had a great run in the second half, o'laoi did well too.
    I thought Melody was one of the best players for us last night. Really impressed with him. Pity about the lack of power in his shot...

Quote Originally Posted by JC_GUFC View Post
    The crowd was a big disappointment - there were good crowds in Sligo and particularly Limerick to cheer on their teams but we had by far and away our worst crowd of the season when the team probably needs it most.

In fairness it was a pretty unattractive fixture for a Monday night but still we should have been getting over 1k at it.
    Official attendance was announced as 651. Really disappointing for a league game, especially one so important. Monday Night Soccer just doesn't work!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KevBGUFC View Post
    I thought Melody was one of the best players for us last night. Really impressed with him. Pity about the lack of power in his shot...
    I suppose after a mazy run like that you can't blame the lad for shooting, but in hindsight he probably should have laid it off for Shanahan.