Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Promotion Steeplechase

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,348 Posts
    Shels have really blown it the last couple of weeks - draw with Cabo and a loss to Athlone. Two wins and they'd be third.

No idea what's happened us the last month. Though at least we played ok tonight.

Wexford deserved league winners though; congrats to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Hopefully Wexford can win it on the pitch. I've always wondered how fans would deal with winning promotion based on a game they aren't playing in. Cork City may not have won much over the year but when we do win, we do it in style, nothing but the last day victory will do it for us!

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    586 Posts
    Happened to Limerick only a few years ago, just went mad for the following nights game.

Fair dues to Wexford, will be interesting to see how they get on in the top tier. Hopefully won't be too much of a leap for them, how is the club financially?
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,348 Posts
    A related topic is the relegation steeplechase btw.

Looking more like Harps v UCD in the play-offs - though not confirmed, as Mr A notes. But if we beat the bottom two teams, Shels can't catch us.

The winners play - who? It could be any of the bottom seven really. Bray look solid enough not to get dragged back down into things, unless the Cup semi distracts them (happened us in 2007 - we were safe and then collapsed; only avoided the play-offs because of Longford's points deduction)

Derry might get new manager boost and survive. Sligo and Limerick are the form teams and I can't see both in the bottom two by the end. Then there's Longford, Galway and Drogheda.

I think the FD's best hope is Drogheda, their recent win in Derry aside (which was their first win since June). But they could still freefall straight past the play-offs.

Galway v UCD could be interesting too - I don't remember it happening before that the play-off final was a repeat of the previous year's?

In the next week, Bray v Limerick and Sligo v Bray are the only matches involving teams in the bottom seven. So a result for anyone elsewhere has to be seen as a bonus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    A related topic is the relegation steeplechase btw.

Looking more like Harps v UCD in the play-offs - though not confirmed, as Mr A notes. But if we beat the bottom two teams, Shels can't catch us.

The winners play - who? It could be any of the bottom seven really. Bray look solid enough not to get dragged back down into things, unless the Cup semi distracts them (happened us in 2007 - we were safe and then collapsed; only avoided the play-offs because of Longford's points deduction)

Derry might get new manager boost and survive. Sligo and Limerick are the form teams and I can't see both in the bottom two by the end. Then there's Longford, Galway and Drogheda.

I think the FD's best hope is Drogheda, their recent win in Derry aside (which was their first win since June). But they could still freefall straight past the play-offs.

Galway v UCD could be interesting too - I don't remember it happening before that the play-off final was a repeat of the previous year's?

In the next week, Bray v Limerick and Sligo v Bray are the only matches involving teams in the bottom seven. So a result for anyone elsewhere has to be seen as a bonus.
    Relegation is actually more interesting now seeing as the lineup is all but set for the First Division
    Another year in the graveyard is criminal for Shels

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    A lot of change from comments on page 1 of this thread!
    Havin a weekend away is quite frankly,lettin ur team mates down!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    If Harps beat UCD on Friday they will cement there place in the play off's
    We are the SR the SRFC.......
    Part time Finn Harps too :)

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,529 Posts
    We'll secure 2nd if we win. Already we're 9 points ahead of Shels with a better goal difference. UCD have Waterford and Cabinteely in the last two games so should secure at least third.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Hopefully Wexford can win it on the pitch. I've always wondered how fans would deal with winning promotion based on a game they aren't playing in. Cork City may not have won much over the year but when we do win, we do it in style, nothing but the last day victory will do it for us!
    Tbh I don't really think it matters. Leagues, relegations and promotions are decided over the course of a season and not on the final day of the season.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxy lilywhite View Post
    Tbh I don't really think it matters. Leagues, relegations and promotions are decided over the course of a season and not on the final day of the season.
    Of course it matters.

You really want us to wrap up the league with Cork losing/drawing some night we are not playing or wrap it up when we are playing.

If we win tomorrow, and Cork drop points either tonight or in their next game, we can win it in Tallaght. How good would that be

Good luck to the Wexford lads tonight, enjoy it! Kildare away was one of the best nights of my life a few years back

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    So with Harps and UCD confirmed for Friday the 23rd/30th the focus now shifts to who people think will be the Premier Divisions contribution to the Playoffs
    I think neither Harps nor UCD would want to see the surging Limerick be in the playoffs.
    Harps - Sligo would be a big draw and as strange as a consideration as that is it is one. Also would be cheap travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,393 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanDMRooney View Post
    So with Harps and UCD confirmed for Friday the 23rd/30th the focus now shifts to who people think will be the Premier Divisions contribution to the Playoffs
    I think neither Harps nor UCD would want to see the surging Limerick be in the playoffs.
    Harps - Sligo would be a big draw and as strange as a consideration as that is it is one. Also would be cheap travel
    Speak for yourself.

Personally, without getting too far ahead of ourselves, I'd like to potentially avoid seeing Sligo in the play-off.

Going to look firmly at UCD first though. They've the ability to really blow Harps out of the water yet and their form of recent is no indication of how they'll perform in the playoff.

Big interest from Harps though in travelling down to Dublin, could well be 250+ Harps fans down for the game in Belfield, which should be fun.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12