Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Micky Adams Appointed Sligo Manager

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    I hate when people do that , Billy Davies did all the time aswell.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    I hate when people do that , Billy Davies did all the time aswell.
    gufcfan isn't too bothered one way or another.

3. Thanks From:

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    I was at the game in 2001 against Brighton in the Rugby Grounds and it was the dirtiest game that I was ever at! Lookin forward to givin Adams stick about that game when he comes to Longford!
    Definitely in Flancare - ground was closed, only the stand was open. I remember being stood at the barriers in front of the stand giving Adams the benefit of my "advice".
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

5. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    Definitely in Flancare - ground was closed, only the stand was open. I remember being stood at the barriers in front of the stand giving Adams the benefit of my "advice".
    we played Brighton two yrs in a row in friendlies think the first year was in the rugby ground if my recollection is correct!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    I remember being stood at the barriers in front of the stand giving Adams the benefit of my "advice".
    One of the most entertaining aspects of games at League of Ireland venues especially if the advice is acted upon. Mick Cooke screaming for a penalty in Gortakeegan when Monaghan manager...plenty of advice of what he should do with his claims to which he turned round a replied "You never f*cking know in this league"! or Sean McCaffrey inviting a fan over the wall during a game in Oriel to sort out their differences - I presume he opted against hopping (sorry...) over the wall to the fans himself. I'm sure Adams will have more than a few comedians within earshot over the next few months.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    we played Brighton two yrs in a row in friendlies think the first year was in the rugby ground if my recollection is correct!
    We played Cardiff two years in a row I think not sure about Brighton.

I'd actually forgotten (or maybe didn't know) that until the other day. I was at a game against Cardiff in the Rugby Club in 2000 and then on Facebook the other day I saw the cover of the programme for the Brighton game in '01 and it had a picture of the team that played Cardiff the previous Monday. I was away on a J1 and the Brighton abandonment was big news over there.*

*it made The Star I think which I was able to get the next day over there.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    One of the most entertaining aspects of games at League of Ireland venues especially if the advice is acted upon. Mick Cooke screaming for a penalty in Gortakeegan when Monaghan manager...plenty of advice of what he should do with his claims to which he turned round a replied "You never f*cking know in this league"! or Sean McCaffrey inviting a fan over the wall during a game in Oriel to sort out their differences - I presume he opted against hopping (sorry...) over the wall to the fans himself. I'm sure Adams will have more than a few comedians within earshot over the next few months.
    The guy McCaffery invited to 'hop' the stand wall for a 'straightner' was in his 70's (iirc?) !! Neither of them were fit to be hopping anything in fairness!!
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    I was sat in the stand in Flancare for that 'friendly'. I remember Murphy and Oates heading over to where the corner gate is now for the astro turfs as that was where the exit out to the dressing rooms were in the middle of the car park! All of a sudden the two boys started at it again and both teams and subs sprinted over, either to get a slap or calm matters down! Brighton got the bus driver to reverse the bus so as the back door of the bus was in line with the door of the dressing room so they could escape from the blood thirsty Town supporters, of whom I was one! A great day!!

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Chris Hughton would never let his Brighton and Hove side behave in such a way! Adams siege mentality obviously spilled over in to preseason friendlys. So could be an interesting last round for Sligo and looking forward to it!

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    We played Cardiff two years in a row I think not sure about Brighton.

I'd actually forgotten (or maybe didn't know) that until the other day. I was at a game against Cardiff in the Rugby Club in 2000 and then on Facebook the other day I saw the cover of the programme for the Brighton game in '01 and it had a picture of the team that played Cardiff the previous Monday. I was away on a J1 and the Brighton abandonment was big news over there.*

*it made The Star I think which I was able to get the next day over there.
    spot on longfordian. looked thro my programmes just now. I have a brighton team sheet from summer of 99 and summer of 01 from our friendlies against them which I got confused about!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Chris Hughton would never let his Brighton and Hove side behave in such a way! Adams siege mentality obviously spilled over in to preseason friendlys. So could be an interesting last round for Sligo and looking forward to it!
    A bit of siege mentality is what we need.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    The guy McCaffery invited to 'hop' the stand wall for a 'straightner' was in his 70's (iirc?) !! Neither of them were fit to be hopping anything in fairness!!
    UFC would have had nothing on it
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    An in-depth piece on the career of Micky Adams, whose autobiography is to be released on Friday: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...y-manager.html

The following (absolutely crazy) story from his time as Sligo boss stood out in particular:

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Barlow
    Having failed to stop Tranmere crashing into non-League, [Adams] crossed the Irish Sea to save Sligo, where he witnessed perhaps the most bizarre scene of his life in football.

Patrick Nzuzi, one of his players, had been arrested after an alleged assault on a woman but no charges were pressed and rumours developed about retribution from the victim's family. Adams advised Nzuzi to get out of Ireland and head home to England when, on Monday morning, a masked gunman appeared on the training pitch and made a beeline for Jennison Myrie-Williams.

There were two black players in the squad. One, Nzuzi, was on his way out of the country. The other was Myrie-Williams. Players scattered as Adams and his No 2 Alan Rogers screamed about mistaken identity. Myrie-Williams was on his knees with a gun to his head when the assailant removed his mask and started to laugh. It was in fact an injured player called John Russell, who had devised the prank in cahoots with the physio, who filmed it on her phone. 'The players were still shaking 20 minutes later,' said Adams.

18. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    The only thing that I can see lifting the players is them trying to impress an English manager that will move on and hope that they might get a chance of a move with him.
    Players' attitudes towards the LOI neatly summed up on in sentence.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Whoa! That's a crackin story in fairness!

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    An in-depth piece on the career of Micky Adams, whose autobiography is to be released on Friday: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...y-manager.html

The following (absolutely crazy) story from his time as Sligo boss stood out in particular:
    That's brilliant

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    It's far from brilliant. If true it makes a mockery of the league and a big laugh in from Adams looking back. I'd be horrified if I was a Sligo fan about that incident. Mickey Adams, more like Mickey Mouse stuff.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    No one is horrified about it

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    It's far from brilliant. If true it makes a mockery of the league and a big laugh in from Adams looking back. I'd be horrified if I was a Sligo fan about that incident. Mickey Adams, more like Mickey Mouse stuff.
    Horrified about a practical joke? Albeit an OTT and slightly controversial one but still a practical joke.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    What about Balotelli throwing darts out the window at Man City at academy players or a Chelsea player firing a pellet gun. Did that make the premiership a mockery? This was a brilliant story

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast