Thread: Liam Miller

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Liam Miller

Where is his career going exactly?
    Didn't see the match last night but this extract from the match report in today's Irish Times doesn't sound too encouraging
    The manner in which United's makeshift team retained possession was particularly impressive, but Ferguson's antennae will also have picked up on how ineffective Miller was in the void between midfield and attack. Lightweight and seemingly incapable of asserting himself, it is becoming increasingly difficult to understand why Ferguson picked out the Irishman earlier this year.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bitored
    Didn't see the match last night but this extract from the match report in today's Irish Times doesn't sound too encouraging

He's such an unpredictable player. He was outstanding in some games for Celtic last season, especially in the Champions league, but sometimes he just doesnt look interested. Alot of people said it was great move for him to go to Old Trafford, but I think its been proven that it was the wrong move. He should have stayed with Celtic for couple more seasons where he would be a regular in first eleven rather than sit on United's bench most weeks. He's still in his mid twenties and had plenty of more time if he wanted a move to the premiership. His performances for Ireland have not been great either. If the best can be got out of him, he could be great player for Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bitored
    As a team they were brutal.
    Players like Pug Neville and O'Shea who should be considered experienced at that level failed to make any impact. Just goes to show how poor they really are. Ronaldo was the only one who looked remotely interested. Miller would be better off getting his game regularly with another Premiership team.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm not a Celtic supporter and I was doing my finals when he had that great season in the Champions League so I've never seen him play well. Anytime I've seen him play for Ireland or Man Utd, he's been quiet and has created absolutely nothing. It's like he's afraid to get stuck in and contribute for fear of messing it up. I don't wish to be harsh and Fergie is generally a sharp man when it comes to the transfer market - with obvious exceptions - so I'll assume the bloke has talent and should be given a run, I won't write him off. I'll put it this way, though: I didn't see what Fergie saw in him and I can't see it now.

Could someone tell me why he's considered to be a good player? What are his strengths?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Consistency isn't Miller's strong point. Even last season for every wonder display like the one against Anderleacht there were several directionless meanders around the pitch (Villareal away sticks out in my mind) from what i saw of him. Definitely should have stayed at Celtic and developed as a player. Good to see McShane at least making the bench last night though.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Fergie is generally a sharp man when it comes to the transfer market
    I didn't see what Fergie saw in him and I can't see it now.
    Can't help feeling Fergie brought him in because he got him on a free so even if he's not a success and is offloaded to a Birmingham or a Middlesborough for say a million or two it's still "good business"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    question : - does anyone rate Miller at all ? : P

Seems like he is in free fall out of united.

I cant see him turning out like Stephen Gerrard

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He showed at times for Celtic last season that he was a great box to box player and was outstanding a lot of the time, not just the Anderlecht game.

He has a great engine on him and the only thing he needs IMO is consistency and confidence. I think it's pretty obvious that he's lost a fair bit of it so far and he would have been better to stay at Celtic for another season or two.

Ferguson did say when he got him though that he was a player for the future so I wouldn't think he's too worried about him at the moment.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Miller is talented and technically very good, but not big enough to physically impose himself in a tough game. He has a good range of passing too. I saw him for the first time at Loftus Road in July 2003 in a Celtic v Fulham friendly. He looked like he had that touch of class that's required to make it big.

The Times & Guardian comments were probably justified on last night's performance.

However, it's got to be remembered that the whole MUFC team was understrength last night so it's harsh to judge him on that performance.

The Villareal game last year and the friendly in Poland showed clearly that he's not capable of asserting himself when he doesn't have stronger players around him.

He was outstanding in the Carling Cup match last week but it was against weakened opposition.

I still think he needs to be judged by how well he does against good opposition when he plays his preferred central midfield role in an otherwise full strenghth MUFC team. If he gets a good run in proper matches and gets some confidence he could do well, but I'm not sure this'll happen. So far he's usually been played RHM or in bit-part United selections.

I've said all along that he should have stayed at Celtic. He was valued highly up there by players, management and fans. Although 23 or 24 he's still inexperienced as he's missed whole seasons due to injury.

He has the talent but I have serious doubts as to whether he'll fulfil his potential.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkfeckarse
    Ferguson did say when he got him though that he was a player for the future so I wouldn't think he's too worried about him at the moment.
    Yeah but lads he's 24. That future should be now really.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donal81
    Fergie is generally a sharp man when it comes to the transfer market

You're having a laugh!?
    He's bought more bad players than good.
    If you ask me, he's been a sucker and spent a fortune on average players based on what they might produce.
    Liam Miller can't be faulted for grasping the chance to play for his boyhood club. Hopefully someone will rescue him before this decision destroys him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom
    Yeah but lads he's 24.
    Not until the 13th of February.
    Last edited by Peadar; 09/12/2004 at 12:28 PM.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pronane
    The Guardian wrote pretty much the same
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    The Times & Guardian comments were probably justified on last night's performance.
    Just to point out that the Irish Times' English football coverage is almost entirely robbed from the Guardian, so that would have been the same source/journalist in both papers.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Sorry Stu - The UK Times also slated him!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peadar
    You're having a laugh!?
    He's bought more bad players than good.
    I did say that there were obvious exceptions, Peadar. He's bought some ropey players but the great Man U teams wouldn't have happened without his buys. Kanchelskis, McClair, Cantona, Schmeichel, Irwin, Keane, Ince, Van Niselroy, Solskjaer, Sheringham - these weren't obvious buys like Rooney was. He's bought howlers alright but he's bought enough great ones to more than make up for them. Of course, this doesn't mean he's king of the transfer market and Miller may well be turn out to be ropey.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Should also be pointed out that in his early games for United his role, for some bizzare reason was to drop deep, pick the ball up and move it on (at least thats what i could judge Chelsea away and Norwich at Legoland [aka Old Trafford.]) His biggest strenght at Celtic was running forward and getting in goalscoring opportunities and of course he was unable to do this while playing that deep.
    Where am I now? I'm over here,
    I've got those empty pockets and I can't afford a beer.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Almost 24. Will not get much better. And I don't think he'll ever be good enough for United. To be honest he wouldn't get near a side like Birmingham (Dunn & Savage) or Villa (McCann and Hendrie) either. From what I've seen of Miller he hasn't got the trickery to make it as a wide player or the balls to make it in central midfield. For all the talk of potential he struggled to assert himself in the Celtic squad, let alone first XI. Yes, he's been unlucky with injuries but that's hardly the point. Liam Miller is Colin Healy MKII.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.