Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Welfare of our players

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Welfare of our players

I reckon that on average, a professional soccer player will stop earning enough to live on by his mid-30s. Looking at our current squad, how many of them seem to have a plan for life after the beautiful game?
    Neal Horgan is training to be a solicitor, so that should see him sorted. What about any of the others?
    Injustice anywhere threatens justice everywhere - Martin Luther King Jnr.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    neale fenn will be a model until he's 55, michael nwankwo will continue his part time job with those africans who do stunts on patricks st, john o'flynn will be a fitness area technician (boot room cleaner) at southamption to say he's made it in england, and kevin doyle will wander around the mediterrainean on his boat after his transfer to Barcelona

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    For the sweet love of God who cares
    I'm gonna take a blow torch to everyone who writes "any info on......." on the desks in the ucc library.

Who's with me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ccfc till i die
    For the sweet love of God who cares

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Sure aren't Fenn and Gamble opening a clothes shop in Washington St ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by razor
    Sure aren't Fenn and Gamble opening a clothes shop in Washington St ?
    Yes they are.
    Champions!

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colm
    Yes they are.
    So much for rhetorical questions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    'Welfare of our players'??? HA! That's their own business! Most of us have more to worry about than how guys whos wages we're currently paying will earn their money after football.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anti dub
    'Welfare of our players'??? HA! That's their own business! Most of us have more to worry about than how guys whos wages we're currently paying will earn their money after football.
    Sentiments worthy of a PD hack! It is good to see some of the boys preparing for life after football. I think it is shocking to see former greats living in poverty while still relatively young men. I know that alcohol abuse is the cause of it some times, but there are also guys who think only of their playing days, and appear to have nothing going for them when they hang up their boots. Is it a bit selfish to enjoy them when they are at the peak of their fitness, and not think of what the future holds for them?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fair_play_boy
    Sentiments worthy of a PD hack! It is good to see some of the boys preparing for life after football. I think it is shocking to see former greats living in poverty while still relatively young men. I know that alcohol abuse is the cause of it some times, but there are also guys who think only of their playing days, and appear to have nothing going for them when they hang up their boots. Is it a bit selfish to enjoy them when they are at the peak of their fitness, and not think of what the future holds for them?
    I know this thread has nothing to do with me but i strongly agree with Fair_play_boy on this. My father is a well known man around Derry and he has told me many of stories about old legendary players of Derry City when they were in the IL. Some of the best players he has ever seen now are tryin to scrape together a few quid just to calm the demons of drink. But it isnt all doom and gloom. Willie Curran one of the best centre backs to come out of Derry still spends two days a week at the gym and he is in his mid 70s and Frank Campbell another old time great still has his couple of rounds of golf daily.

So i do think we should worry about all our players because even though i never watched asny of the men me da is always on about i feel a great swell of pity for them when i see them.
    I came, I saw, I .................. eventually got bored!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    What makes football any different than any other profession? People often change careers mid-stream & your average player retiring from playing at 30-35 is easily young enough to move onto something completely different.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    What makes football any different than any other profession?
    Two things, IMO.
    First, a person can not choose to stay in the profession longer than their health / fitness allows, which means they have to retire really young. I would say that most people who change careers in mid-stream do so out of choice, meaning by definition that they have a viable Plan B.
    Second, many of the lads start their cereers so young, they have poor educational qualifications if any at all, so finding any new career is going to be really difficult.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    eL clubs can't do much about guys coming back from engerland with feck all education.
    Professional footballers don't exactely have a full daily schedule so should be doing something education wise on the side in preparation for the future.

Was interested to see Kearney at Dalymount earlier in the season take notes or something when he sitting in the stand for maybe what looked like coaching badges or something which is good to see.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    eL clubs can't do much about guys coming back from engerland with feck all education.
    Professional footballers don't exactely have a full daily schedule so should be doing something education wise on the side in preparation for the future.

Was interested to see Kearney at Dalymount earlier in the season take notes or something when he sitting in the stand for maybe what looked like coaching badges or something which is good to see.
    Fair point. But this could be where Gunther and his course at Colaiste Stiofain Naofa could come in.

p.s. If the players are over 23 they could get into U.C.C. as mature students