Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Champions League 2015/6

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Impressive Bayern are chomping at the bit in Turin, meanwhile Barca are taking life easy at Arsenal.
    I hope these two teams meet this year.
    The last two times they met it was fairly one sided, or at least pretty much over after the 1st Leg. The fact that each team have been capable of ending the tie so quickly might add to the intrigue, but I think Bayern have gone backwards under the infallible Pep.

Juventus butchered their own chances last night with their inexplicably cagey first half performance, they were tactically all over the place and made it very easy for Bayern, who obviously deserve some credit for knocking the ball around well. I was expecting Juve to approach the game in the same way they did in the 1st Leg of last year's semi final against Real Madrid. That night they seemed willing to accept the fact that they would be open to the counter attack but really started the game on the front foot, they were aggressive but disciplined and purposeful. It was in complete contrast to their first half approach last night, where they just sat back and invited wave after wave of Bayern pressure and were never likely to hold out, especially without Chiellini.

They started with a 4-4-2 which played into Bayern's hands also as they could do what they wanted in the midfield sector. Mandzukic seemed to get a Jonathan Walters type task of helping out defensively down Juve's left when Bayern had possession (which was most of the time) so it left Dybala totally isolated and visibly frustrated up front. Bayern looked borderline shambolic at the back at times when Juve threw caution to the wind in the second half, I wouldn't take them too seriously as contenders.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 24/02/2016 at 12:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    What I can never understand is why Arsenal can't keep the ball against Barca like they do against most other sides. If Barca play a pressing game so well, why don't the other teams do the same against Arsenal (favourites to win the EPL and yet always are second best Barca). Do you have to be extremely skilled footballers to play the pressing game ? Surely not.

Answers on a postcard please to bemused of foot.ie
    I suppose most teams are capable of playing the pressing game but it might not always be the best tactic if you struggle to do anything with the ball once you win it. You could leave yourself open when Arsenal win it back themselves, that's probably why most teams just sit deep and try to frustrate them. Southampton had a lot of joy against them with a pressing game over Christmas and I remember Everton really getting in their faces and winning 3-0 a couple of years back. Liverpool tanked them that same season when they were motoring well with a high pressing game under Rodgers. It has worked but it takes a decent side on top of their game to execute it properly and managers (of the lesser sides particularly) will almost invariably choose the more cautious approach.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 24/02/2016 at 12:26 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    The last two times they met it was fairly one sided, or at least pretty much over after the 1st Leg. The fact that each team have been capable of ending the tie so quickly might add to the intrigue, but I think Bayern have gone backwards under the infallible Pep.

Juventus butchered their own chances last night with their inexplicably cagey first half performance, they were tactically all over the place and made it very easy for Bayern, who obviously deserve some credit for knocking the ball around well. I was expecting Juve to approach the game in the same way they did in the 1st Leg of last year's semi final against Real Madrid. That night they seemed willing to accept the fact that they would be open to the counter attack but really started the game on the front foot, they were aggressive but disciplined and purposeful. It was in complete contrast to their first half approach last night, where they just sat back and invited wave after wave of Bayern pressure and were never likely to hold out, especially without Chiellini.

They started with a 4-4-2 which played into Bayern's hands also as they could do what they wanted in the midfield sector. Mandzukic seemed to get a Jonathan Walters type task of helping out defensively down Juve's left when Bayern had possession (which was most of the time) so it left Dybala totally isolated and visibly frustrated up front. Bayern looked borderline shambolic at the back at times when Juve threw caution to the wind in the second half, I wouldn't take them too seriously as contenders.
    Did you lose money on the game?
    Both teams were missing serious players. Bayern were missing 2 CHs Batstuber and Boateng (plus the reserve CH). Both teams started the game at a pelter, my reading of it was that Bayern came out the better of the two, took total control after 15 mins, forced Juve all the way back. They managed to strangle the life out of Juve until the 70th minute. I would take Bayern serious.
    Juve finally managed to come off the ropes, Kimmich (a stand in CH) makes a bad mistake and Juve were back in with a shout.
    When Juve changed their approach and went wide, they made hay down the right wing and instead of losing 3 nil they could have ended the game by grabbing a worthy winner.
    That's why we/some love this CL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    No bets, I was just hoping for and expecting a different kind of contest. It ended up being entertaining obviously but I expected much more from Juventus in the first half, they're not as inferior as they contributed to making themselves look I don't think. Bayern definitely took control after 10/15 minutes but I think they were allowed to take control to a certain extent, almost as much as forcing Juve all the way back. There was very little attempt made to put pressure on the ball from the home side.

I know both teams were missing players but we've seen this before with Bayern. They don't seem to be able to stem the tide when their opponents have their spell. A 0-1 aggregate deficit became 0-4 against Real Madrid in the blink of an eye two years ago. Last season they looked strong at the Nou Camp until they conceded and then bang, 1-0 becomes 3-0 in no time and the tie is dead. Again in the second leg they conceded twice in fifteen minutes after giving themselves some hope early on. Even against Manchester City they managed to turn a 2-1 win into a 3-2 defeat in the last five minutes, granted they had already topped the group. The best teams just manage these periods better and they don't have anything that sets them apart from all the others.

Clearly they're still in the top four or five teams in the competition but I think things would have to fall into place for them to win it, like somebody else taking out Barcelona for example. When I say I don't take them seriously it's relative to their standing as probably second favourites, I don't think it's really justified and personally I wouldn't touch them with your króna.

5. Thanks From:

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Did you lose money on the game?
    Both teams were missing serious players. Bayern were missing 2 CHs Batstuber and Boateng
    Really, he is like a big hole in defence

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    I haven't seen much of Boateng since WC 2014, where he was very good and impressed.

I thought PSV were a welcome surprise last night, a very tidy organised team and tough, out-toughing Atletico. To the end they were still raring to go even though down to 10. The 2nd leg should be of interest.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    I don't think it's really justified and personally I wouldn't touch them with your króna.
    Not even from my cold dead hands could my krona be freed.

I see your point, but more so in the context of the betting odds, where there is a biggish gap between Bayern @ 3/1 and 3rd place RM @ 11/2
    and those odds are offered where Bayern still have work to do and RM are virtually home and hosed in the last 8 after impressing in Italy against an inform Roma.
    Presumably Bayern's odds would become even warmer should they overcome Juve and it remains to be seen if they are deserved of that.

9. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    Ref says Man U player Lingard dives in the box and gives him a yellow card.
    Fortunately for us viewers watching the game on stream quality video, Michael Owen is the co-commentator and could inform us after almost instant deliberation, with guru like wisdom, that the Man U player hurdled the outstretched leg and then fell. Michael said you can't do that (as in it's a no no in the diver's handbook). What Lingard should have done was leave the leg in and let it drag to make contact with the outstretched leg.

Sad to say but the art of the perfect dive may be a dying spectacle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Two trebles in a row is surely unprecedented?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    It won't happen. No one has won the CL consecutively since Milan in 1990. Although this Barcelona is a great team, somehow it will fall apart (according to history). My gut feeling is that they will fall apart BEFORE the final. I feel the Bayern/Juve winner will run into Barca before the final and beat them.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shizzle787 View Post
    It won't happen. No one has won the CL consecutively since Milan in 1990. Although this Barcelona is a great team, somehow it will fall apart (according to history). My gut feeling is that they will fall apart BEFORE the final. I feel the Bayern/Juve winner will run into Barca before the final and beat them.
    Welcome shizzle. Gut feeling is a cherished and valued phenomenon on this board.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I have a similar gut feeling. Maybe it's more hope than expectation, I'm not sure. I think it might be the final that they're caught though, as they'll be very difficult to outscore over two legs. I'd give the Madrid teams the best chance against them, followed by Juve and maybe PSG.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    I have a similar gut feeling. Maybe it's more hope than expectation, I'm not sure. I think it might be the final that they're caught though, as they'll be very difficult to outscore over two legs. I'd give the Madrid teams the best chance against them, followed by Juve and maybe PSG.
    Hope 6 Expectation 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Hope I find, is always defeated in my case. See last year.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    Hope exceeded expectation by a factor of 3 to 1, is what I think of Del's "More in hope than expectation"
    In other words, not much real chance and the rest of the space filled out by hope.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    By some quirk of whatever, an inform Roma should have got back into this CL tie, but the Madrid goalie was in superb form and able to make the saves.
    Otherwise, a boring night for the CL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    So a normal CL night.

It's all about the Europa League these days. Or so the BBC tell me.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    A normal wednesday Cl, as in yet another epl club bites the Cl dust.
    PSG were stretched to the pin off their collar for about 5 or 10 minutes.
    The french boulevardiers are the dandy team of the CL.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    Phillip Cocu has proved his mettle with PSV, not just a pretty face and a dapper dresser.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    They say that goalkeepers can only make themselves heroes in a penalty shoot-out, well the two guys last night put that to the test. They were brutal, especially Oblak. It seemed the only way somebody could miss was by failing to hit the target and Narsingh eventually obliged. I only saw extra time but it seems the right team went through, with Atlético having 26 attempts on goal last night alone. Better for the competition too I think even if that is a bit elitist!

Juventus are without Marchisio and Dybala for tonight, and maybe Chiellini and Mandzukic too. Bayern were able to rest a couple of key men at the weekend too so everything is in their favour now really. RTÉ have chosen to show (the delicately poised!) Barcelona Arsenal game by the way.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast