Look at Leicester 52 weeks ago.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Look at Leicester 52 weeks ago.
    Yes, but throughout last season, Leicester were playing well, never lost their crowd, manager had the support of the natives and were in most games despite being edged most weeks till near the end. This is not the case down the road at Villa Park, that, as a rule unhappy place at the best of times, has never been unhappier which in itself is some kind of unwanted horrific achievement considering they have the most restless natives in the country for most of my life. Past glories make big ghosts.
    Last edited by CraftyToePoke; 06/04/2016 at 2:40 PM.

3. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    That manager Leicester got rid of, gave me the creeps.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    That manager Leicester got rid of, gave me the creeps.
    Nigel Pearson ? Great guy. The sort of man you'd like to be in the trenches with. Great centre-half for Wednesday and would put his head where few would risk their feet. Why did he give you the creeps or was that a wind up?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Nigel Pearson ? Great guy. The sort of man you'd like to be in the trenches with. Great centre-half for Wednesday and would put his head where few would risk their feet. Why did he give you the creeps or was that a wind up?
    No, not a wind up and if he was in the trenches with me, i'd shoot him first. An ugly thuggish personality.
    The Thai owners of Leicester were quite correct to give him the boot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I'd have to know a bit more about the fan before condemning that.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    Leicester and Spurs both delivering when it counts, Arsenal total and utter wimps. Wenger leaves Mertesacker on the bench when playing Andy Carroll. That's beyond strange.

Chelsea might be kingmakers yet. Both Spurs and Leicester play them at Stamford Bridge. Leicester's last 3 games are United (a), Everton (h) and Chelsea (a). West Ham at home won't be easy. If they don't win their next two (WHU at home, Swansea at home) then it get could all go badly wrong.

I can see Spurs winning at least 4 of their next 5. Stoke (a), WBA (h), Chelsea (a), Southampton (h) and Newcastle (a).

Very interesting.

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Lots of people pointing to the last three games Leicester have to play. Not like any of the three are on fire never mind Leicester have proved they can beat all three.
    Lets talk about six baby

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    I'd say, considering their consistent form and run in, Leicester @ 1/5 for the title is about right.

11. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KK77 View Post
    Lots of people pointing to the last three games Leicester have to play. Not like any of the three are on fire never mind Leicester have proved they can beat all three.
    If they have slipped up before then, I can think of several easier teams to be playing. If it's still alive on the final day it's a no brainer who has the easier fixture.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    Stutts, i'd say though, much of your concern about Leicester slipping up, has more to do with anxiety around the chance that Spurs might win the title.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I could see Leicester slipping up enough times to allow Spurs a chance, I can't really see Spurs not slipping up at all themselves though, especially with Stamford Bridge to come. In theory that should be a tougher fixture for Spurs than Leicester.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    I don't have the benefit of the use of a crystal ball but there is no current football form evidence saying that Leicester will slip up, not even a sliver.
    It might happen but so can a lot of things 'might happen'. 8 tides a day could happen but not based on current habits.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Define current? This season they've 'slipped up' twelve times, over a third of their matches. You'd hardly need a crystal ball to suggest they might slip up a couple of more times, especially when you consider the fact that their fixtures look fairly tough. And to be fair their recent games could have went either way, Newcastle, Southampton and even Sunderland could have easily nicked something, it's not like they've been coasting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    790 Posts
    Yes, far from over because once the media says it is, then it is not and we'll then hear "who could have believed this turnaround?". The 3-0 for Spurs was very important because Man U over the years have had the Indian sign over them - that's one of their banana skins gone. As Stutts says, Spurs should get a minimum 12 points from their last 5 games so Leicester need 2 wins (Everton (h) and Swansea (h) would be the best hopes). The fat lady may only start rehearsing but the opera is a bit off yet.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Define current? This season they've 'slipped up' twelve times, over a third of their matches. You'd hardly need a crystal ball to suggest they might slip up a couple of more times, especially when you consider the fact that their fixtures look fairly tough. And to be fair their recent games could have went either way, Newcastle, Southampton and even Sunderland could have easily nicked something, it's not like they've been coasting.
    No they have not been coasting. Current refers to the recent run in the pressure games where they have show to be a strong title winning unit even when just a solitary goal ahead.
    Under other circumstances, a point against a well drilled team like Sunderland, fighting for their survival, playing home with that support, would be considered a good point, but they got all 3 in that pressure cauldron. They are not getting enough credit for winning a game like that.

20. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    Yes, that and the memory of Arsenal's title run-in in 1989 when they couldn't buy a win in the last few games. Lost 0-1 at home to Derby and then ex-Bohs Paul McGee (Magee?) scored twice for Wimbledon in a 2-2 draw. I was absolutely planking it when Ireland went to Malta in 1989 too, and also Cyprus at home in 2001. Even at home to Bosnia I didn't relax until about 92 minutes (and after Bosnia had hit the bar with about 2 mins left). It's the way I am.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    No they have not been coasting.
    "there is no current football form evidence saying that Leicester will slip up, not even a sliver."

To me this reads like something that would have been said about Barcelona (pre-Villarreal) when they were winning games consistently by four or five goal margins. The very fact that they've been winning games narrowly is evidence enough for me that they're more likely to slip up than if they've been coasting through games and winning comfortably. The fact is that they were a referee's interpretation of a couple of handballs away from drawing with Southampton and at the mercy of Jack Rodwell late in the game on Sunday. This isn't a criticism, they may even have deserved to win the games despite the let-offs, but it shows that the margins have been pretty fine, which I think gives at least a "sliver" of hope that they might slip up, from Tottenham's point of view.

Current refers to the recent run in the pressure games where they have show to be a strong title winning unit even when just a solitary goal ahead.
    Fair enough, but I wasn't even talking about current form really, despite my comments above. I'm just looking at each game they have remaining on an individual basis. Man Utd and Chelsea will probably start the games favourites against them, rightly or wrongly, and Everton have been pretty good away from home this season and we know they're a lot better than they've looked at times. West Ham have proved to be a very dangerous team as well and have won at some big venues themselves. Of course Leicester won't fear anybody and rightly so, and have beaten some big teams this season but these games look far tougher than the ones during their recent run of clean sheets. I think there's a better chance of a slip up against Chelsea or Man Utd than against Newcastle or Sunderland, that's all.

Under other circumstances, a point against a well drilled team like Sunderland, fighting for their survival, playing home with that support, would be considered a good point, but they got all 3 in that pressure cauldron. They are not getting enough credit for winning a game like that.
    Who isn't giving them enough credit? They've been phenomenal and I don't think it's possible to rate their achievements so far highly enough. Jamie Carragher was saying it could be the biggest story in football history, I'd agree that it would have to be in the conversation anyway and possibly the biggest that I know of alright. If you're just talking about not getting enough credit for winning the Sunderland game itself, okay, I'm not sure how much credit they haven't got. It was a very professional performance which belied their lack of experience in a PL title chasing run-in situation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Yes, that and the memory of Arsenal's title run-in in 1989 when they couldn't buy a win in the last few games. Lost 0-1 at home to Derby and then ex-Bohs Paul McGee (Magee?) scored twice for Wimbledon in a 2-2 draw. I was absolutely planking it when Ireland went to Malta in 1989 too, and also Cyprus at home in 2001. Even at home to Bosnia I didn't relax until about 92 minutes (and after Bosnia had hit the bar with about 2 mins left). It's the way I am.
    I wasn't even totally relaxed after the play off win in Estonia. I am sure Milan were relaxed when they were 3-0 up against Liverpool in 2005. Anything can happen in football that's why I NEVER join in on "you're not signing any more".

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I wasn't even totally relaxed after the play off win in Estonia. I am sure Milan were relaxed when they were 3-0 up against Liverpool in 2005. Anything can happen in football that's why I NEVER join in on "you're not signing any more".
    Agreed, taunting deaf fans isn't acceptable in this day and age.

26. Thanks From:

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast