Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Epl 2015/2016

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    790 Posts
    Would you be happy with Klopp ? Looking at Wikipedia, he has been at two clubs and very successful at one and did ok at the other.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Kop flop Klopp gets chop

.... surely a headline too brilliant for him for him to be a success.

In all seriousness though he would seem a good fit. I'm a big Ancelotti fan but he has had money and superstars wherever he's been. Liverpool aren't shy in paying out big transfer fees but it seems to be wages where they can't really compete with Chelsea and the Manchester clubs in particular. Therefore they'll need to get more than the sum of their parts to really compete and he seems capable of doing that.

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Would you be happy with Klopp ? Looking at Wikipedia, he has been at two clubs and very successful at one and did ok at the other.
    Yes would be happy enough for him to have a go at it. In saying that I can't claim to have watched much of his spell in Germany but he seems to have great reports.
    Lets talk about six baby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    790 Posts
    Every time I hear Kloop being mentioned now, all I think of is the version of "Heil Hitler" by Captain Hans Geering in the comedy HALLO HALLO:

Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    790 Posts
    So refreshing to see Leicester City lead the way proving (for the moment at least) that the medium sized clubs are not just cannon fodder for the bigger boys. I wonder who the people were at Wednesday who released Vardy. Almost as bad as Trevor Francis insisting that Eric Cantona play a trial match for Wednesday before they would sign him. He told Wednesday where they could stick their trial game and signed for Leeds! The rest, as they say, is history.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    915 Posts
    Chelsea decide there's one nut too many in the Christmas party nibbles and it's bye-bye Jose.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/live/34413864
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    790 Posts
    Wenger hasn't won a title in yonks or a Champions League and is still happily ensconced at Arsenal. Mourinho manager of the reigning champions and also won the CL with them and still in the CL: sacked. Gary Monk leads Swansea to their highest ever position last season. Bad run of results this season: sacked and like Mourinho had recently penned a new deal.

It's a funny old game.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,352 Posts
    Mourinho didn't win the CL with Chelsea; di Matteo did.

Spectacular fall from grace for Chelsea though - either the sacking will be justified by a new manager turning things around, or there's bigger issues and we can have more fun in the new year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    790 Posts
    Football is a funny old game (wonder who said that?). Swansea appoint a former player with no managerial experience to manage them and he is the flavour of the year for, well, a year. Then things start to go badly and they sack him and appoint, well, a former player with no managerial experience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I was listening to Alan Smith on Sky Sports News earlier discussing Arsenal and their title prospects. He was saying that their match against Stoke at the weekend was a game that they would have lost in the past, and that their new found 'grit' and 'resilience' is the mark of champions. I always thought a mark of champions would be finding a way to win these sort of games, instead of hanging on for a draw. Anyway, I wonder what Smith's view would have been in the aftermath of the 4-0 mauling by Southampton a full three weeks ago, not to mention failing to see out the final couple of minutes at Anfield last week. As far as I can see, Arsenal are the same as ever, but the demise/inconsistency of the other top clubs means they do have a decent shout of finishing top of the pile. I think that's more of a reflection on the league generally rather than Arsenal themselves tough, not that they'll mind too much if it happens.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 19/01/2016 at 1:42 PM.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    790 Posts
    Arsenal have the usual yo yo season. They put a few decent results together and the media say it could be their season. They then have a string of bad results and the media suggests that it might be time for Wenger to go. They then have some good results and....etc etc.

13. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    Arsenal are just being Arsenal, except now they have a very decent goalkeeper in Cech.
    And while Arsenal have only bought Cech, Man U and Man City have spent over a £100m each and still they lag behind Arsenal.
    I see Jonjo Shelvey cost Newcastle £12m. Isn't his stock as a player similar to the time he joined Swansea in 2013 for £5m? x-y =0 where x = player development and y = (rumors + questions).
    Allowing for the 10% sell on clause, the fee does reflect a boom inflation in transfer fees.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    It probably reflects Newcastle's desperation as much as anything, although Swansea are pretty desperate themselves. He did have an excellent debut, the best I've seen him by a mile.

This was pretty much his last (non)action for Swansea, when they were losing their F.A. Cup match in injury time!

17. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    That's hilarious.
    (first time viewer)

I hadn't thought about the desperation stakes, interesting that Swansea would sell a decent player to their relegation rivals.
    Last edited by geysir; 22/01/2016 at 3:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,698 Posts
    In fairness, most people who watched the game and then watched the clip posted by DeL above noted that he was the only Swansea player who did anything that game and burst his ****** running up and down the pitch so was just wrecked that late in the game.

Most observers would say that much of what Swansea have done well over the last few years has involved Shelvey so a bump in his value is not too unusual.

He's a bang average player though in the grand scheme of things - crazy money!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Arsenal are just being Arsenal, except now they have a very decent goalkeeper in Cech.
    And while Arsenal have only bought Cech, Man U and Man City have spent over a £100m each and still they lag behind Arsenal.
    I see Jonjo Shelvey cost Newcastle £12m. Isn't his stock as a player similar to the time he joined Swansea in 2013 for £5m? x-y =0 where x = player development and y = (rumors + questions).
    Allowing for the 10% sell on clause, the fee does reflect a boom inflation in transfer fees.
    Inflated by Newcastle's desperation I'd say. Tiote looks to be off and he hasn't seemed right for a couple of years, so they went after probably the one player who'd sign for them. Swansea did well consider they wanted rid of him and probably would have accepted half that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    In fairness, most people who watched the game and then watched the clip posted by DeL above noted that he was the only Swansea player who did anything that game and burst his ****** running up and down the pitch so was just wrecked that late in the game.
    I only saw the last twenty minutes or so myself. Still, no excuse for not chasing the ball a couple of feet away in the situation they were in. He seemed to be walking freely enough once he took his little breather.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    I see that the English Independent has reported that Mourinho sent in a lengthy essay extolling his virtues to Man U.
    True or not is besides the point, the report just happens to tick all the narcissist believability factors that make up Mourinho.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    You wouldn't put anything past him but his agent did say the story is absurd, so I guess that it probably is. Not that Mourinho and respect are related in any way, but I don't think he'd draw that on himself with Van Gaal still there. I think Manchester United are deluding themselves a little with this notion that Mourinho isn't classy enough to manage them though, he's certainly not classy but then neither was Ferguson. Throw a 'Sir' before somebody's name and suddenly they're seen as whiter than white!

That said, I'm not sure Mourinho is a great fit at this point in time. His stock has fallen a little, the success once heavily outweighed the baggage, but they're getting closer all the time. Clubs haven't exactly fallen apart without him either, Chelsea and Real Madrid both winning trophies aplenty, including a Champions League each, after he left.

United's major problem at the moment anyway is their complete absence of attacking spark, they're relatively well organised otherwise. Mourinho's major strength has been making teams incredibly difficult to beat. It would be interesting, but perhaps risky, to see how he'd get on with the other side of the game as his main challenge. I think Ancelotti would have been the ideal appointment but obviously that ship has sailed for now.

24. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    The story is not absurd (agent's description) because it has a number of believable factors, there are people who would believe that Mourinho has messianic delusions and would think himself to be the savior of Man U. The unbelievable bit (imo) would be to have put an unsolicited letter of application down in writing and risk ridicule. Ridicule on that level would be the thing that would give him restless nights. And football leaks would have a copy on line by now, courtesy of a deep throat who goes by the pseudonym 'comb-over'.
    Now Mourinho has to endure a level of ridicule without having done the deed, the narcissist's path is a thorny one. That could also explain why he has difficulty to rescue a situation which has dive bombed, eg as outlined in Arbeloa's interview, his players have betrayed him, they make him look bad by their attitude on the pitch, whereas Ferguson was a ruthless dictator but one who put the ethos of club first and foremost and one who could pick his team off the floor.

26. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast