Thread: Aiden McGeady

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Aiden McGeady

he must start the next international.

If he's good enough to get in the Celtic team he's more than good enough for our starting XI.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McGeady10
    he must start the next international.

If he's good enough to get in the Celtic team he's more than good enough for our starting XI.
    Bit strong that. Lot of potential but Celtic are hardly Arsenal.
    Last edited by Bowsy; 07/12/2004 at 3:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Wow hold up there!

First of all, it should be pointed out that you are hardly unbiased.
    Why do you talk about yourself in the third person?

Though he looks talented enough, just cos he can partner lardass Hartson doesn't get him an irish place. Morrison has looked good lately and the lad Duff is more than capable.

McGeady looks promising and his time will come or should i say
    tiocfaidh ar la?
    City definetly have the best bands playing at half-time.

O'Bama - "Eerah yeah, I'd say we can alright!"

G.O'Mahoney Trapattoni'll sort ém out!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    I liked most of what I've seen of him so far. Whatever about must start th next international he probably should become a reg in the squads. I got annoyed earlier in the season when he first 'broke onto the scene', that although O'Neill would play him in the mundane SPL games and then wouldn't start him in the Old Firm and some of the European matches (which had nothing to do with fitness I was led to believe)
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Interesting logic. He's only been a regular for Celtic in the last few weeks for a start.

In most positions I think you'd find the Ireland player would dominate his Celtic equivalent.

Would David Marshall get in the Ireland team? Stan Varga? Joos Valgaeren on recent form? Ross Wallace? Didier "I'm fast but f*** all else" Agathe?

I'd like to see McGeady involved but realistically he's competing for the RHM spot with Finnan, Andy Reid and probably Steven Reid now too. I'd play McGeady ahead of Miller RHM though.

In terms of the next international, I think Kerr should go with the XI he wants to start in Israel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts

McGeady's position.....

"Though he looks talented enough, just cos he can partner lardass Hartson doesn't get him an irish place. Morrison has looked good lately and the lad Duff is more than capable"

Isn't he not a wide midfielder? Yes Duff is capable on the left but we are far from fixed on the right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom
    ........but we are far from fixed on the right.
    Stephen Reid and Steve Finnan would beoth get the nod from me far ahead of McGeady
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    From what I've seen, McGeady is twice the player Steven Reid is. Looks a bit special and has massive potential.

Only problem is O'Neill seems reluctant to play him in the big games. I'm off to Parkhead later for the match and I'd be surprised if he starts which ****es me off because he should be starting with the form he's in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tiktok
    Stephen Reid and Steve Finnan would beoth get the nod from me far ahead of McGeady
    At the moment if we were playing a 4-4-2 I'd have Finnan on the right. But as I posted earlier I would have McGeady in the squad for the friendly with the atlanticos- apologies Portugal!

Stevie Reid seems to be back on track like pre WC2002 and if he reaches his potential which is very possible we could have some good optins on both wings.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom
    Stevie Reid seems to be back on track like pre WC2002 and if he reaches his potential which is very possible we could have some good optins on both wings.
    yeah, been looking more the player people thought he'd be in recent times but has still a lot to do. Hopefully he'll get a good run and not get relegated with Blackburn. Can still be a very good player for Ireland.

For the moment I'd stick with Finnan or Reid (depending on the opposition) on the right hand side.

barglee
    what a ridiculous statement.
    I like Celtic but to be honest it doesnt take much to play for them.
    Its like saying that if graham kavanagh is good enough for cardiff he's good enough for Ireland.

still i ilke mcgeady and think he's a good prospect for the future but will prob have to move to england to fulfill his potential

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barglee
    I like Celtic but to be honest it doesnt take much to play for them.
    Of course it doesn't, they're all pub league standard. That's why they play in the Champions League regularly and got to the Uefa Cup Final 2 seasons ago.

What a ridiculous statement...educate yourself man.

Just because they play in a weak league doesn't mean the players aren't up to much.......

barglee
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkfeckarse
    Of course it doesn't, they're all pub league standard. That's why they play in the Champions League regularly and got to the Uefa Cup Final 2 seasons ago.

What a ridiculous statement...educate yourself man.

Just because they play in a weak league doesn't mean the players aren't up to much.......
    They play in the champions league regularly beacuse as you said it -they play in a weak league and thats how they qualify....

They dont progress in the champions league because theyre not that good...

Im a celtic supporter but i just dont think playing for them alone justifies an Ireland call up.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Agathe would walk into the Ireland team. The guys one of the best right backs in Britain. Ask Duffer cause he marked him out of the Celtic v Blackburn tie and also marked Ronaldinho out of a couple of games.

McGeady/Duffer/Robbie Keane are our hopes for WC2006. Get them playing with eachother now and we could see fireworks in Germany!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barglee
    They play in the champions league regularly beacuse as you said it -they play in a weak league and thats how they qualify....

They dont progress in the champions league because theyre not that good...

Im a celtic supporter but i just dont think playing for them alone justifies an Ireland call up.
    Playing for Celtic doesn't automatically justify a call up for Ireland like you said, I never said that it did.

I also agree that we don't progress in the CL because we're not TOP quality. This season is the first season that we were automatically into it, both other times we had to play qualifiers.

You were suggesting that to play for Celtic, you don't necessarily have to be much good which quite simply....is a load of sh!te. Even the most blinkered of anti Celtic fans on this site would agree with me there. (I think!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Just a few points, your first point is silly in that getting into the Celtic team doesn't mean you should be in the Ireland team just like people think being a Man U player means you have to be in the team. I think you'd know being a Celtic fan that making a comment like that is only going to get your club a bit of stick as you and I both know (me also being a Celtic supporter) that Celtic are not world beaters. Agathe is an absolutely superb right back but thats neither here nor there. McGeady can play anywhere but defence or in goal.

One thing I would say though is that he is ahead of Juninho, Pearson and Wallace atm for a starting place. Wallace has tremendous potential so it takes a lot to keep him and the other two out of the team.

I think McGeady will start tonight judging by MON's comments so keep an eye on it.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I have to take issue with you over Agathe. I think he's absolute trash. He's lightning fast but this is all he has. If he's that good how come nobody has ever come in for him?

His crossing & passing is absolutely atrocious, mainly because he never loooks up. The number of times he skins his man and then wastes everything by ballooning over a rubbish cross is infuriating. Remember the OF game last year when Larsson was unmarked in the middle in a 2 on 1 and Agathe carried the ball to an impossible angle and shot uselessly at Klos?

Eirebhoy, you're a big statistics fan: how many assists does Agathe provide? Nowhere near as many as times as Thompson & others I'd say.

The only time I can remember him putting in the killer pass from a promising position was a great pass to Sutton away to Stuttgart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I would agree 110% with what you said if we were judging Agathe as a winger but he has been a full back for the best part of a year and has been keeping McNamara on the left all that time. He was shít on the wing but he is a superb tackler and keeps most players in his pocket with his pace. It would be like slating Kilbane because he has been poor on the left wing for us almost every time he's played there.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    McGeady/Duffer/Robbie Keane are our hopes for WC2006. Get them playing with eachother now and we could see fireworks in Germany!
    I say let's get to Germany first. McGeady will have another year and a half's experience by then.

I don't doubt he should be in the squad already and he's a very useful option to come off the bench. He admitted himself in an interview after the Hibs game (in which I understand he was excellent) that he gave the ball away too much. You can't give the ball away cheaply in internationals.

I doubt I'll see him tonight as I'm going to Arsenal vs R'borg. I'll give Harald Brattbakk a cheer for his goal against St. Johnstone!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    I would agree 110% with what you said if we were judging Agathe as a winger but he has been a full back for the best part of a year and has been keeping McNamara on the left all that time. He was shít on the wing but he is a superb tackler and keeps most players in his pocket with his pace. It would be like slating Kilbane because he has been poor on the left wing for us almost every time he's played there.

He still drives me mad!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast