Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In Mr Trapattoni we trust

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

In Mr Trapattoni we trust

Have to admire the professionalism shown by Mr Trapattoni over the last few days.
    In contrast the so called senior FAI rep who leaked to the media of Mr Trapattonis pending sacking should hang his head in shame, as should the Irish media after their witch hunt of one of Ireland's most successful managers.

In Trap we trust!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the doc View Post
    Have to admire the professionalism shown by Mr Trapattoni over the last few days.
    In contrast the so called senior FAI rep who leaked to the media of Mr Trapattonis pending sacking should hang his head in shame, as should the Irish media after their witch hunt of one of Ireland's most successful managers.

In Trap we trust!
    Thanks Sean! I am sure that such blind allegiance will help get you back into the team very soon.

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the doc View Post

In Trap we trust!
    Oh dear ....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    I grudgingly agree we should continue with Trap, but what a pathetic and pointless OP.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    I think we'll find, if the "journalist" who had the so-called scoop were to own up, that the "FAI source" which became "a senior FAI source" and "senior FAI official" was the figment of imagination of the said "journalist". Sadly if we've not learned anything about the Irish meeja by now is that they cannot be trusted to tie their own shoelaces. INM have had an agenda to blacken the dealings of Denis O'Brien (in a large way he should be hammered), and there were instructions given to journo's to go after his interests, his proximity to the FAI and support for Trap being 2 of them.

I don't believe Trap should have continued this campaign, but when he signs a contract and has made a start, he should see it out until it isn't possible for us to qualify. All else is bojjox. The FAI, I believe, have come through this one well, the meeja have suffered a severe blow, but they'll get worse. And worse.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    He handled the situation very well. In stark contrast to Kerr on his knees grovelling to the Irish public or Staunton getting Robbie Keane to go on the late late with an unconvincing defence; Trap just played it cool and dismissed the situation as "no problem".

You'd have to say our media has come across very poor in all this and somewhat on a witchhunt with potentially fabricated stories used to try and chase their goal. The RTE coverage and Bill especially before, during and after the Faroes game was disgraceful. It's the 3rd game in a campaign and personally I just wanted to focus on the game and winning it, what I got was a tabloid story based on spin on rumors where the actual game was of a sideshow to. Just because England is turning their sport into a circus doesn't mean we have to.

My opinion of Trap through all this has gone up, my opinion of the Irish media, segments of the public and Bill O'Herlihy has gone way down. Liam and Eamonn did their thing and played their part well but I thought Giles general reluctance to get involved in the whole charade spoke volume about it being just that.
    Last edited by Murfinator; 20/10/2012 at 6:21 PM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfinator View Post
    He handled the situation very well. In stark contrast to Kerr on his knees grovelling to the Irish public or Staunton getting Robbie Keane to go on the late late with an unconvincing defence; Trap just played it cool and dismissed the situation as "no problem".

You'd have to say our media has come across very poor in all this and somewhat on a witchhunt with potentially fabricated stories used to try and chase their goal. The RTE coverage and Bill especially before, during and after the Faroes game was disgraceful. It's the 3rd game in a campaign and personally I just wanted to focus on the game and winning it, what I got was a tabloid story based on spin on rumors where the actual game was of a sideshow to. Just because England is turning their sport into a circus doesn't mean we have to.

My opinion of Trap through all this has gone up, my opinion of the Irish media, segments of the public and Bill O'Herlihy has gone way down. Liam and Eamonn did their thing and played their part well but I thought Giles general reluctance to get involved in the whole charade spoke volume about it being just that.
    He's played the media like the wily old pro that he is. I do think that although the public witch-hunt may take a back seat, the journos will be gunning for him privately, as they'll hate to look embarrassed.

It is endemic of the Irish fourth estate though. Playing up Fianna Fail & property during the Celtic Tiger years, a lack of proper investigative journalism, pillorying certain sections of society/individuals while ignoring others.

It's getting to the point where I think a lot of Irish football journos would rather see the team fail for the sake of a story than do well boringly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    this occurred to me this afternoon, of all the journalists complaining that the press conference last Saturday was at the same time as the Sligo - St Pats game, did any of them boycott the press conference to cover, or attend, the game?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    this occurred to me this afternoon, of all the journalists complaining that the press conference last Saturday was at the same time as the Sligo - St Pats game, did any of them boycott the press conference to cover, or attend, the game?
    Would you risk your job and take a day off work to make some bizarre pyrrhic protest?

11. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    I think we'll find, if the "journalist" who had the so-called scoop were to own up, that the "FAI source" which became "a senior FAI source" and "senior FAI official" was the figment of imagination of the said "journalist".
    Do you honestly believe that the journalist who quoted a member of the FAI staff actually just made up the quotes? Does anybody else believe that?

13. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Its JD and he shafted McConnell big time - Not that I have any sympathy for him. Its plain as day to me reading that Examiner interview with JD, hes just very good at not actually saying it and 'not being dragged in to answering.....'
    Last edited by Junior; 22/10/2012 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Examiner...
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Is McConnell anything to the guy that writes for the Irish Independent?

Its good to know though, that JD doesn't have complete control over the board like many on here suggested before....
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Is McConnell anything to the guy that writes for the Irish Independent?
    No its Daniel McDonnell who writes for the Independent. Who you on about? Geysirs lessons are certainly helping you along Paul - Good spot.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    And if none of them did cover or attend the game, what would you take as an implication of that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    And if none of them did cover or attend the game, what would you take as an implication of that?
    that they were practising what they preached
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    And what do you think they are preaching?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    the complaint was that the FAI were prioritising a press conference over the most important league fixture of the season
    boycotting it would have said that they were supporting the league over the press conference

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    But because they went to the conference instead of the game, they have no right to criticise, right?

The issue is not prioritising one way or the other. People like me for whom the club team is more important that the national team aren't everywhere, even in LOI circles. Plenty of fans will care more about the national team, and journalists likewise (notwithstanding the fact that it's their job and they go where they're told, so the notion of 'boycotting' the press conference is nonsense).

The issus is that the FAI were stupid enough to set up a press conference at that time, and most of the criticism I've seen has been directed at the FAI, and rightly so. When forced to choose, the journalists chose the press conference. This doesn't mean they can't highlight the stupidity of needlessly forcing people to make the choice in the first place.
    Last edited by osarusan; 22/10/2012 at 2:28 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    the complaint was that the FAI were prioritising a press conference over the most important league fixture of the season
    boycotting it would have said that they were supporting the league over the press conference
    It might have tets, but it might also have cost them their job.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    fair enough, it would have made a statement that they weren't going to be held in thrall to the FAI and whatever sources they had that didn't want to be named

What was the press conference recently (don't think it was football) where a manager refused speak until a journalist had left? wouldn't it have made a statement if the rest of the journalists had walked out in solidarity?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast