Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Setanta Cup draw 12th December

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shed resident
    Will City fans travel to these games, its very dangerous id say but then again we've got to support our team. will Ian do a few buses?
    I'm definately going to travel anyway as are most people I've spoken about it to.
    I doubt any bus companys would risk taking a bunch of rowdy Cork City fans into the heart of loyalist Belfast though so I doubt there'll be buses going, you'd never know though, that will all be sorted closer to the time I'd say.
    I reckon flying is the best option and maybe stay overnight.
    Champions!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ya, fly direct from Cork I recon and make an overnight trip out of it.
    As I say, we're just young & a bit nieve.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Will City fans travel to these games, its very dangerous id say but then again we've got to support our team. will Ian do a few buses?
    Please tell me this is a wind up! Anybody who is able to survive 90 minutes in the shed should find a trip to Belfast a picnic.
    Injustice anywhere threatens justice everywhere - Martin Luther King Jnr.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShedEnd.com
    well then sell him and your club wont go bust next october
    Keep dreaming

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Fancy a Cork v Glens final.

Reckon the physical game will get Shels, they like it sexy (?)

Where ever it is, who ever it is, just hope we have a Tournament the Country will sit up and pay attention to. The media will no doubt adopt the 70's view of hagard old politicos trying to air their cause through sport - I'd dare say it now but the Clubs involved, wish one was Derry, will show that Football on this Isle has been that long ignored that TRUE Football fans will grace the event! much the same way the F.A.I has approached REAL Footie fans to sort out Landsdowne Rd!

The Derry v Glentoran match, whilst covered by the media let them down - shame! They only witnessed Football and Fans from a wide divide getting on. The Setanta Cup could be the very brew the F.A.I and I.F.A do not wish to sup from!
    I'd rather die laughing than trying!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

.................................................. ....

What are you on about like ??

Of course City fans will travel to it .... flying will be the way to go i'd say !!
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Em, is it just me, or will anyone else out there be less than gobsmacked if the Setanta Cup turns out to be a mirage ? Lets face it, the signs are not good. I wouldn't put much money on it taking place. (Forgive me if that sounds overly cynical - but look at who we're dealing with here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD
    Lets face it, the signs are not good.

Em, is it just me, or will anyone else out there be able ot point out these signs ?!!?!?!

Where are you looking for these signs .... is there something that you know and you are not telling us. There has been very little published/released from either side BUT everything that was, was IMO fairly positive and there was not denying from anyone involved that there were many positives.

C'mere Tony, you're going to have to tell us fella ..... what are the signs you are seeing ?? .... come on ... spill the beans !! You are holding back on us there lad.

(Forgive me if that sounds overly cynical - but look at who we're dealing with here)
    We wont forgive you and it does sound overly cynical !!

Look at who we are dealing with ..... Is that the FAI of the IFA ..... and again ...... is there something you are not telling us !!

Come on Tony ... you are our pipeline to knowledge !!
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    I don't think you need to be Russel Grant or Nostrodamus to acknowledge that events seem to be slowly lining-up against the Setanta Cup.

Rooney's gone, and he seems to have played a key part in getting the proposal off the ground. The FAI is going to be consumed with the appointment of new staff and sucking up to Fianna Fail for the next 6mths, so I can see Setanta getting neglected until it's too late.

Key in all of this for me is Setanta themselves. If they push it along then I can see it happening, but I think both Asociations will need that outside pressure for it to become a reality given the FAI's preoccupation with more fundamental issues. Someone mentioned on here a week or two ago that, when questioned, Setanta's Marketing staff didn't seem to know anything about the competition. Not a great sign....

I do hope it happens, but nothing would surprise me in next year's episodes of The Muppets of Merrion Square....

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,083 Posts
    It was announced tonight at the EL meeting that the draw is on in the third week in January, details of prize money were also announced, each team guaranteed €30,000, €80,000 if you reach the final and €120,000 if you win, that's including the basic 30k obviously..then there's gate monies too. Milo Corcoran was one of those pushing it most strongly so Rooney leaving would't have affected things too much. It's definitely going ahead
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

.................................................. ....

I think what is happening here is that people are thinking the worst when there is no news. I suppose that we were always going to have that in the first year of it though.

But for any club that is in the comp, they are queuing up for it, or at least they should be. Pressure should be exerted from those quarters too.

IMO ... this is a very practical competition. It involves playing clubs from a different league in a meaningful competition with tangible benefits (30,000 for turning up) and a chance at raising the profile of both leagues.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,083 Posts
    Yeah, 'EL fans in not trusting the FAI shocker' All the northern clubs have been on to the FAI seemingly and Milo Corcoran had assured them it was 100% going ahead, that was just after Rooney left..As i posted above, the full details were announced tonight, so presumably they'll be in the press tomorrow

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Good news, City will find that €120,000 very handy.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    How does the prize money for the Setanta Cup compare to the the money teams get for winning the League, Cup, League Cup?
    We are the U the U the UCDD!!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face
    Look at who we are dealing with ..... Is that the FAI of the IFA ..... and again ...... is there something you are not telling us !!

and we're dealing Setanta as well of course who seem well eager to get the comp going.

Tony, no news is not necessarily bad news
    "I don’t want to tempt fate, but Thierry Henry is not having one of his best nights." - RTE co-commentator Jim Beglin, minutes before TH struck the stunning winner.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    So, is the Setanta more lucrative than Europe?

Where will the final be played? Will it be over 2 legs, home and away, a neutral venue, or will it be like the League Cup and it will be a home game for one of the competitors?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    It's only more lucrative if you screw up or don't get a nice TV money tie.
    Check out my new sports blog http://www.action81.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face
    Em, is it just me, or will anyone else out there be able ot point out these signs ?!!?!?!

Where are you looking for these signs .... is there something that you know and you are not telling us. There has been very little published/released from either side BUT everything that was, was IMO fairly positive and there was not denying from anyone involved that there were many positives.

C'mere Tony, you're going to have to tell us fella ..... what are the signs you are seeing ?? .... come on ... spill the beans !! You are holding back on us there lad.

We wont forgive you and it does sound overly cynical !!

Hey, I never said I had any inside knowledge about the Setanta Cup, but then again, has anyone ? As for the signs I'm seeing A FAce, it would probably be more accurate to say the signs I'm not seeing. Apart from this message Board I've seen no other talk about the Cup lately. And as DC Steve points out above, Setantas marketing man seems to be in the dark about the whole thing. OK, maybe you're right and I'm wrong. If that's the case I'll be more than happy. I'm just saying it doesn't look good to me. And as for who we're dealing with, I didn't think I'd have to explain that one to any League of Ireland supporter. Are you saying you trust the FAI to handle anything to do with Irish clubs properly ?. As I say, I'll be more than happy to be proved wrong...

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,083 Posts
    The Setanta Chief Exec was mentioning it in the Irish Times on Saturday, I'd say he'd have an idea whether it was going ahead or not, he said April.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Winning the Setanta cup is worth more in prizemoney that the other 3 put together, if fact runners up will get more than a club that does a treble! Of course there are no Euro places, but for Irish clubs, north and south its a hugely attractive proposition.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123