Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

View Poll Results: Do you agree with extending civil marriage to Same Sex couples?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 88.57%
  • No

4 11.43%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Marriage Equality Referendum - how will you vote?

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts

Marriage Equality Referendum - how will you vote?

In the Mariage Equality Referendum on May 22nd, will you vote? How will you vote?

Polls consistently give the Yes side 70-80% of the vote, but I expect it to be closer on the day.

EDIT: Private poll, by the way.
    Last edited by osarusan; 12/05/2015 at 4:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    I will vote. And I will vote Yes. I agree I think it will be closer than people think perhaps 60/40 in favour. paddy Power bookies have ' Yes' at 1/12 which seems very short but a No vote does seem unlikely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I honestly can't see anything but a complete white wash for YES.

Sure, the No vote (like a FF and Tory vote) will rise in the booths, but I still can't see it even being close.

As it should be.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Was talking to my Mum at the weekend and she said she was shocked by some of the stuff she had heard said about the referendum. There is an undercurrent of hatred there towards the gay community that usually only speaks its mind when they think they're in safe company. Usually but not exclusively in the older generation.

And those people will vote. But I think that younger people will be more energised than usual for this vote and will also turn out. I believe Yes will win, but the No vote will be depressingly large.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Expecting it to be a much closer result than people are expecting. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a No vote win out by a very small margin, which would be incredibly embarrassing for this country.

Some of the arguments coming from the No side are an embarrassment in itself.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Expecting it to be a much closer result than people are expecting. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a No vote win out by a very small margin, which would be incredibly embarrassing for this country.

Some of the arguments coming from the No side are an embarrassment in itself.
    Some of the behavior from both sides is very childish. I'm stead fast in the 'Yes' camp but I have to admit that I've seen some bluff from the yesser. But your right about the 'No' camp. They are making up so ridiculous stories.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    I'll be voting Yes. I expect it to be closer than the polls suggest. I reckon 55-60% in favour.
    There is a big No vote out there unfortunately and I expect the Church to roll them out over the coming weekend. Interesting to hear what sort of sermons are said on Sunday throughout the country. Not that I'll be attending or anything....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    A Yes vote would be fabulous!

10. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Completely and utterly in favour of same sex marriage. I think it will be carried, but underestimating the no vote is perilous - they'll be out in force, while much of the yes vote is well-intentioned but not as die-hard about voting.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    I will be voting yes.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I'm finding this one impossible to call but I'm voting yes and would be heartbroken if it wasn't carried. Evidence from most Irish referendums in recent times (aided by the fact we often vote twice on the same issue) shows people often find they haven't been informed as much as they felt they needed, so I sincerely hope on this occasion there's nothing left behind as there won't be a second referendum this time.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Jeez, remember the vote on abortion in the late 80s/early 90s. As a student then, I worked in a nursing home and one of the pro life supporter's was a nurse who wheeled patients down one by one and told them how to vote. This included people who were senile and those who had strokes and couldn't communicate at all. She was a lovely person and adamant she was doing God's work. At the time it seemed acceptable, now I would react in horror to such a deed. Bring on a yes vote by the way!

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    Jeez, remember the vote on abortion in the late 80s/early 90s. As a student then, I worked in a nursing home and one of the pro life supporter's was a nurse who wheeled patients down one by one and told them how to vote. This included people who were senile and those who had strokes and couldn't communicate at all. She was a lovely person and adamant she was doing God's work. At the time it seemed acceptable, now I would react in horror to such a deed. Bring on a yes vote by the way!
    A little like what a certain FFer used to do here in the midlands, had a mini bus rounding them up for the vote.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    If the No vote wins, can we throw a little tantrum like George Galloway did when he lost his seat in Bradford-West?!

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Voting yes. Agree that there's likely to be a surge from the no side compared to the polls and that it could be close. Would love to see an emphatic 80+ percent yes and a high turnout. I think a lot of the silent no's are the voices popping up on different fora saying they were going to vote yes but they feel the yes campaign is overly aggressive so they'll vote no. I don't think people like that ever truly intended to vote yes and they're appearing more and more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Voting Yes.

Some aspects of the No campaign have been pretty despicable so I'm not surprised that things have got a little heated on the various debates etc. If the Yes vote mobilises like it is mobilising on social media then it could be up to 90% but will probably be more in the low 60's percentage.

Have there been any opinion polls done?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    I'm voting Yes. I'm not all that confident of it passing, and I'll be gutted for how Ireland has (or rather hasn't progressed) if it does fail.

If you're on social media a lot, you'd think the Yes side had it, but the no side don't raise their heads on social media. The Yes campaign needs to move to mobilising the vote now, I believe.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    I've noticed a huge amount of people saying they'll vote No just to spite the government, which I find absolutely appalling.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsMiseSean View Post
    I'll be voting Yes. I expect it to be closer than the polls suggest. I reckon 55-60% in favour.
    There is a big No vote out there unfortunately and I expect the Church to roll them out over the coming weekend. Interesting to hear what sort of sermons are said on Sunday throughout the country. Not that I'll be attending or anything....
    Would largely agree about the margin - I'll also be voting Yes, but outside of the Dublin constituencies and most of Leinster, the only others I can see in the Yes tally would be Cork North and South Central, Limerick City and Galway West.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast