Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Supporters bus to Tallaght

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    Specsavers for Outspoken! How can you not say that was a pen? As Shaw went to strike it the Rovers defender put his foot in and clipped Shaw's kicking foot. No contact with the ball, pen all day. And considering the Rovers back room staff said so also (I'm sure they would of spoken to the offender) backs that up! It's like you don't like to admit you were wrong!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    To be honest I didn't even flinch when Shaw went down. I am still not convinced that it was a penalty and Soccer Republic did not convince me!
    Sporting F*ck All!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    Two boys for specsavers then! Cousins admitted the Rovers staff told him it was a pen after the game. They would of spoken to the defender in question after the game about it. So why would the staff tell Cousins it was a stonewall pen if their defender said he didn't touch Shaw? But as Macy said, 99.9% of people who thought it was a pen will agree to disagree with the 0.1% who thought it was not

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    821 Posts
    No one loves to shout at referees and appeal for things more than me but I honestly didn't even flinch at the time of shaw going down and last night has only convinced me more. Anyway it's gone now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Have to agree with outspoken and ltfc on this one, it was obvious on the night and in the reply Shaw did not want to take the shot on and was waiting for the slightest bit of contact to go down.
    I think Smithers picked me because of my motivational skills.
    Everyone says they have to work a lot harder when I'm around.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    You just contradicted yourself there! Agreeing that it was no pen and then saying waiting for the slightest bit of contact!! Slight contact or heavy contact, if he didn't play the ball then it's a pen all day long!! Whatever anyone says be it Town fans, Town management or TV pundits on whether it was a pen or not, when Rovers management said it was a stonewall pen then it must of been. Regardless we didn't get it (no surprise) and we move onto Limerick.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Legend View Post
    when Rovers management said it was a stonewall pen then it must of been.
    Or they were wrong too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Or they were wrong too.
    Never actually seen any rovers management or players anywhere saying it was a peno. Just saying.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Never actually seen any rovers management or players anywhere saying it was a peno. Just saying.
    Well if Cousins said they did I wouldn't doubt him, but from the video I can't see any contact.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    Cousins confirmed after the game that Rovers management said that. The reason Rovers management said that was surely because they would of spoke to the defender in question. They wouldn't of said it was a stonewall penalty if the player in question told them he didn't touch him. On the TV it's clear as Shaw goes to strike the ball the defender gets his foot in between Shaws kicking leg and the ball. Contact was made however 'slight', pen all day. I'm sure if it happened up the other end it would of been a pen. I suppose Shaws shout for a pen in Bohs was a dive as well Outspoken?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    You have no reason to think they spoke to Blanchard and he said it was a penalty. Cousins was on the warpath after the match, I'm not sure I'd have got into an argument with him either. I can't see any contact in the video - what I do see is Shaw falling over, and I think it's more likely he just tripped over his own feet.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    So management don't talk to their players when the game is over. I've managed teams before and whenever there was incidents like that or other similar I would of spoken to my player about it after the game! As I said the 99.9% of people who thought it was a pen will agree to disagree with the 0.1% who thought it wasn't!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I'm sure they do talk to players. Maybe they did ask him, maybe they didn't. You're just bungling together a scenario based on what you think would have happened and presenting it almost as fact. It was the first match of the season I haven't been there, but the video evidence is hardly conclusive. If anything, the way Shaw falls it looks like he was pushed in the back, not tripped up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I'm sure they do talk to players. Maybe they did ask him, maybe they didn't. You're just bungling together a scenario based on what you think would have happened and presenting it almost as fact. It was the first match of the season I haven't been there, but the video evidence is hardly conclusive. If anything, the way Shaw falls it looks like he was pushed in the back, not tripped up.
    He extends his legs straight, not saying he dived but that's usually what referees look for

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Legend View Post
    You just contradicted yourself there! Agreeing that it was no pen and then saying waiting for the slightest bit of contact!
    Its a contact sport. Shaw was waiting for the defender to take him down, and imo the defender barely touches him, if even any contact was made at all and shaw goes down playing for the penalty so for me the ref got it right...
    I think Smithers picked me because of my motivational skills.
    Everyone says they have to work a lot harder when I'm around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Referees look for other things too, like players slowing down and not shaping up to shoot. Looking at the video, the moment Shaw begins to fall Blanchard is a yard away from him. Not that he couldn't have fouled him, but it doesn't look like a foul.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    I think ye are nuts or blind or a bit of both!

Disappointed a few other decisions weren't shown for added context. The "offside" against Sully, and the ridiculous attempted tackle by the ref followed by the yellow, in particular.

Just because we're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get us!
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12