Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland v Northern Ireland - Thursday 4th June 2015 - Behind Closed Doors

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    Ouch. Will you be standing for an anti-partition party in Manchester Central?
    Ha, you'll be pleased to hear I'll be voting Green (hey, they're the right colour!); a party that I would like to see effect things locally here, although I fear my vote will count for naught under the present electoral system. Voters and candidates in NI will be the ones who decide on the constitutional/border question, but you miss my point. A few NI fans on Slugger failed to grasp it too, so perhaps I'm not articulating it well enough. I'm not the one bleating, pontificating, pointing accusatory fingers and telling others that they should be unconditionally opposing "apartheid in Ireland", and especially not whilst at the same time actually supporting partition. If someone supports partition, that's fine. You know that's how I feel. I'd never pontificate to someone opposed to it. I'd respect their view. I further acknowledge that many from nationalist backgrounds are presently content with the status quo anyway. I'm happy to wait myself. The status quo poses no insecurity in terms of the Irish identity of nationalists. That's fine.

The only finger I point is to make an accusation of tiresome hypocrisy. I just wish OWCers (I know all NI fans aren't so lacking in self-awareness) wouldn't simultaneously pretend that unconditional sharing, ideas of unity with everyone and all that are their priority; as if they're above notions of identity and politics and only nationalists are "afflicted" by such "base" concerns, or as if the NI team is some social-cohesion project behind which everyone in the north is morally obliged to get because everyone signed up to the peace agreement. I could support partition and it wouldn't make me a hypocrite in this instance because I'm not putting expectations upon others that I wouldn't expect of myself. I'm not bringing partition up to have a debate about it really. We've had that debate in 1998 (we can still talk about it but it should be without imposing undue expectations upon the other) and any serious movement on it has been postponed until the Secretary of State decides otherwise. I only bring up the matter to make a point and expose the hypocrisy of NI fans going on about supposedly opposing "apartheid". I don't think that places any onus upon me. They want their own team that represents their world view over all else - which is fine - so they should just be honest about it. I'm just pointing out the hollowness of what is a bogus accusation; that if they're actually opposed to what they're claiming to be opposed, they're not demonstrating that very well by prioritising certain other terms at odds with that.

I added a comment to that OWC Facebook thread last night. I've since been blocked and the whole discussion, full of plenty of valid points, shut down and deleted. I can see it was obviously a source for much embarrassment, but, bleh... It's just facepalm, pre-Enlightenment era stuff. Heads back in the sand then, as usual...

And considering it's at the level of gossip/light entertainment and not a "story" fit for a serious publication, I'm well aware I've gobbled up the Indo's bait!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    the northern ireland game is tomorrow, k.o. time / game format unknown. i assume a standard 90 min.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Will we even find out who won?!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Will we even find out who won?!
    Depends who wins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Tony O'Donoghue tells me on Twitter that it begins at 1PM. Although he isn't as sure about when it will end!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I'm guessing drone plans fell through for legal reasons: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...-31183679.html

Or has anyone heard of any further developments?

The FAI will be tweeting updates at least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    So Randolph thinks it's ok to be on his holidays in the US instead of trying to earn his place. Disgrace really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    So Randolph thinks it's ok to be on his holidays in the US instead of trying to earn his place. Disgrace really.
    Family reasons
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Irony, Trap, irony. Or Sarcasm. Whatever.

11. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Change the record. Walters is injured.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Two nil ROI after 18 mins. Murphy header from a McGeady corner, Arter with a shot from 22 yards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Recurring theme with Walters. Bet my bottom dollar he will be fit enough to start the prestige friendly against England though. Other players have to try and impress the manager against Northern Ireland. Reflects how safe his place in the team is IMHO.

McShane's attitude is what I want to see. Arrive on time to integrate with the rest of the squad - even though you aren't fit to train.
    You appear to be accusing Walters of faking injury, yet this was from the very article you linked:

Quote Originally Posted by Emmet Malone
    Jonathan Walters and Wes Hoolahan also missed yesterday’s session and O’Neill sounded sceptical enough afterwards about either of them now featuring in a game that will be so informal that the manager remains uncertain even as to whether it will be divided into halves or thirds.

“I am not sure if they will be involved tomorrow at some stage,” he said. “It’s less of a problem for Wes [than for the other Championship players] because he played not so long ago. It’s the same with Jon but I am hoping that when they have had scans and X-rays [(on slight knee problems] that they are perfectly alright.”
    Honestly, can a mod please keep things like this in check or just sort this crap out once and for all? It's beyond ridiculous at this stage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Two nil ROI after 18 mins. Murphy header from a McGeady corner, Arter with a shot from 22 yards.
    Where are you getting the updates from? Not much going on on the FAI's Twitter account.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Stutts's gut instinct, me thinks.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    I snuck in, wearing a Garda uniform.

18. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Match apparently started late as both teams came out wearing green. Northern Ireland apparently on top, had a shot into the side netting, while McGeady's had Ireland's only chance. Still 0-0.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    2-1 now - o.g. from McClean after he forgot who he was playing for.

Edit - NI playing in ROI white away kit.
    Last edited by Real ale Madrid; 04/06/2015 at 1:06 PM.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    0-0 current real score. Westwood, Christie, Arter, McGeady & McClean all playing. Northern Ireland by far the better team allegedly. They hit the bar & Westwood saved a 1 on 1.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    We're gonna win the World Cup lads, I can feel it in me bones.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast