Thread: Article in todays Star

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Article in todays Star

LIMERICK BACKER'S BIG PLANS

by Mark McCadden

Limerick FC will become one of the biggest clubs in Ireland over the next three years, declared Danny Drew of the consortium taking over the club next week.

He is part of the group buying Hogan Park and he hopes to rapidly restore the club to its former glories. "This will be one of the best clubs in the league over the next three years," he said. "We will be knocking on Shelbourne and Cork City's doors and beating them. "In Limerick we have the talent to become one of the best teams in the land. This is set to be a very good week for Limerick FC."

The consortium will be looking to invest €2.5 million — with help from the FAI — into making Hogan Park a six or seven thousand all-seater stadium within five years. "We have secured Hogan Park and we have bought it. The deal was signed with the Hogan Trust and will be finalised next week," added Drew.

But he found himself on the back foot yesterday with reports that manager Michael Kerley was sacked in the middle of a two-year contract. The issue was raised at a four-man meeting and Drew says it caught him off-guard.

"For the future of Limerick, we need to bring in big money and we need an experienced first-team manager," he said. "I wasn't ready to tackle that issue just yet, but I was asked a question by Mike and I gave him a straight answer. The plan was to employ him as manager of the Under-21 and Under-18 side."

As for reports that Kearley was axed in the middle of a two-year deal, Drew added: "He never signed the contract. Mike is one of the brightest young managers in Ireland and we would love to have him at the club. But maybe the way forward would be for him to learn his trade under an experienced manager."

Strong words, lets hope all of this comes to fruition. On another note, Pat Dolan gave Noel O'Connor a glowing tribute in his column. He called him 'a rock', 'intelligent', 'hard as nails', and said 'I just can't complement him enough'. He then went on to complement him some more describing him as a 'great coach', 'a great man', and that 'his strength of character is what makes him outstanding'. He also referred to him as a 'wealthy and successful businessman'. All good, but you couldn't help but think that this written for Limerick fans, especially the businessman reference. He also paid tribute to fitness coach Dave Mahedy. It gave the impression that Mahedy was leaving Cork as well. Will he be involved with Limerick in a similar role next season?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    He talks a good game, but will he be as buoyant if you are still in the Div 1 in three years time? Personally I'd have sent you out of the league on merit, but seeming as you're going nowhere I hope you get the mess sorted out. The demographics are in your favour to make a big club in Irish terms and you have a long enough tradition too.