Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: The N4 derby

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts

The N4 derby

Really excited for this game Friday night (even though I've an awful feeling Sligo will finally click and score a few goals). Footballs a confidence game, a few weeks ago I couldn't wait to play Sligo because it looked a certain 3 points for us but after that shocking display in Dalymount and Sligo finally getting off the mark against Galway id happily take a point ahead of the game now.

The goalkeeping situation will be a worry again but at least Pat Flynn is back but Powell really is leaving us exposed on the left and we are lacking pace back there so I'd be worried that sligos wingers might get in behind us quite a lot on Friday.

I'd defiently go with 5 in the middle if I was TC (would have done it against Bohs too), even though we had more of the ball against Bohs we were played through very easy and with Sligo being traditionally a passing team I think it's important we put our stamp on the midfield Right from the get go.

Sully is getting big chances up front but not taking them so that will need to change Friday as he will need to be at his very very best both on and off the ball.

This won't be easy but we could take a point if we play at our best but if Sligo turn up and we don't we could be in trouble. With cork away on Monday night any sort of return from this game is crucial ahead of a massive game against Drogheda.

Would be hopeful of a crowd well in excess of 1000 people also.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    I have just sent in our overall record for the match program for friday and out of 26 games in all comps we have played since we joined the loi we have won 5 times which is a shockin record so I wouldnt be as confident based on what I saw the other nite!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    Town to bounce back with a 7-4 victory.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    The day before the big game, no team news leaking out as is normal with tony who likes to give nothing away so no word on whether ricer will be fit to play or not. If not this would be my starting team with 5 in the middle.

Hunt
    Mulhall, Flynn, sully, Deady (Powell will start tough)

Salmo Rhys
    Aymen, Kev, Shannon
    Sully.

Thoughts?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Well it will be 4-5-1 but whether he has the balls to drop Salmon I doubt it, my guess is Gorman will be dropped, I would like to see Flynn and Morris together and I would definately drop Jamie Mulhall and Pat Sullivan, both have been crap apart from maybe 3 good tackles and a couple of passes in the last few games, I also think it will be Shaw up front for 55 minutes then Sully
    I don't really care who plays where if we keep the ball on the ground and pass and move we are good enough to give most teams a game if not a beating but it will be the usual hoof fest especially from Pat Sullivan and the keeper
    everything crossed I'm wrong

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darklordsbane View Post
    Well it will be 4-5-1 but whether he has the balls to drop Salmon I doubt it, my guess is Gorman will be dropped, I would like to see Flynn and Morris together and I would definately drop Jamie Mulhall and Pat Sullivan, both have been crap apart from maybe 3 good tackles and a couple of passes in the last few games, I also think it will be Shaw up front for 55 minutes then Sully
    I don't really care who plays where if we keep the ball on the ground and pass and move we are good enough to give most teams a game if not a beating but it will be the usual hoof fest especially from Pat Sullivan and the keeper
    everything crossed I'm wrong
    Wow. Salmon has been dropped for several games already this season. Jamie is coming back from a serious injury while pat has probably been our best defender not our worst. Morris was out run by Jason Byrne last week hence why he can't partner pat. Last season you said Paul hunt was one of the main reasons for our shorter style of play now your criticising him for his hoof ball.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    thats right he was one of the reasons for proper football 1000 times better than Bennion but this season he may as well be Bennion I can only guess it's the training because I'm baffled by it,
    was Mulhall not able to play for Ireland under age team in Germany so I am only assuming he is fit if not all the more reason to drop him
    I have to go now ive a very long journey before getting to ccs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Hunt is missing tonight according to the paper, be interesting to see how Skinner fares in his place

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    Badly I fear..

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    Skinner skins Sligo alive with magnificent display

Headline for next weeks Football section in the Longford Leader

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Probably be man of the match

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Skinner has played fine in both games I have seen him.

To say Pat Sullivan has been crap is complete rubbish.
    Sporting F*ck All!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    Well my headline was close to the truth! Could do nothing with the Sligo goal and made two fantastic saves, especially in the second half. I don't know if the shot took a deflection or the ball swerved (it definitely changed direction mid flight) but Skinners reaction to get a strong hand to it to put it over the bar was excellent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Yeah, Skinner did well. Improved performances from most of the team. Great to see Mark Salmon have a good game. MOTM in my opinion. Linked the play well and played with a lot of purpose. Powell was better than in recent showings. O'Sullivan was anonymous. Tyrrell was still dodgy. And a great strike by K O'C that was reminiscent of another goal he scored at that end (so he had owed us that one)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Decent game, Sligo are very very poor. Draw a fair result. Agree that sully was totally anonymous but to play him on the wing is madness and to leave shaw on when he was knackered and take sully off was a terrible decision. Shaw missed 2 great chances to win it for us but skinners save was magic at the other end and yes it took a deflection which had him going the wrong way but he some how got across to tip it over. His kicking is still very suspect but overall a good performance from our keeper.

Thought willie Tyrell did very well at te back myself he dealt with Nielsen (who is an absolute monster) very well but when he's faced with pace we are in trouble but thankfully Nielsen played a hold up game and had very little running beyond him.

Wel take our beating Monday and focus on getting at least another point Friday 😂

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Not impressed one bit tactically. To play 4 5 1 at home against a team who were having a rough start is very questionable but then to play sully right wing is just madness, he was lost! Also would not agree with the changes that were made and the fact that we could not hold out a lead for more than 5 or 6 minutes is frustrating but it was a cracker of a goal

Realistically we got a point but sligo were not great and i think had we actually set out for 3 points we would of got them. Were giving teams far too much respect!
    I think Smithers picked me because of my motivational skills.
    Everyone says they have to work a lot harder when I'm around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister X View Post
    Not impressed one bit tactically. To play 4 5 1 at home against a team who were having a rough start is very questionable but then to play sully right wing is just madness, he was lost! Also would not agree with the changes that were made and the fact that we could not hold out a lead for more than 5 or 6 minutes is frustrating but it was a cracker of a goal

Realistically we got a point but sligo were not great and i think had we actually set out for 3 points we would of got them. Were giving teams far too much respect!
    I had called for 451 to be played on here against not only vs Sligo but Bohs last week so I had no problem with him lining up that way until I seen our all time leading goal scorer out on the wing that is absolutely crazy. And to make things worse he takes off our best player on the night in Eamon and then he takes off sully who still had loads of running in him and puts on another striker on the wing in Simon all while shaw was on his hands and knees up front, how can he not see these things. Don't expect anything to change tonight

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Sully has been lost this season, not really contributing to the strike force. Maybe needed to find position where he would be effective, especially with Cowan out. Shaw has worked much harder to try and score goals.
    Simon is looking dangerous with his running at defences from midfield, but also needs to learn to lay the ball off more than try and take on whole defence