Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Scotland - Saturday, 13th June 2015 - Euro 2016 Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Republic of Ireland V Scotland - Saturday, 13th June 2015 - Euro 2016 Qualifier

Have to win this one. Nothing less will do.
    Having watched the 1-1 with Poland again for the second time, I strongly believe MON should go with this setup against Scotland.

Forde or Given. Either will do a job. Selection will come down to form going into June.

Coleman O Shea Wilson Brady
    Stick with the same back four.

Hoolahan Mc Carthy Quinn Mc Clean
    Drop Whelan as he was non existent. Quinn will offer more attack and impetus in the middle. Hoolahan and Mc Clean were class and should start.

Walters Long
    Would start Keane for Georgia/Gibraltar games as he struggled against the strong polish lads. Long was lively when he came on and Walters is a good target man.

Mc Geady, Gibson & Keane to come off bench.
    Never eat yellow snow!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    McClean was class because their right back was mediocre and was tired, he never has the same impact from the start.

Hoolahan i have a feeling would be really bullied against Scotland, they will have their homework done on him they know our players inside out.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    McClean was class because their right back was mediocre and was tired, he never has the same impact from the start.
    as fans we just love making excuses when we do something well don't we?

"we only played well in 2nd half as Poland let us have the ball"
    "we only got an equaliser as the ref didn't give a foul on the polish keeper in the lead-up"
    etc. etc. etc.

all a bit tiring really

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    No Jbryne stop getting trapeyed again.

McClean has some great games and some ok games for ireland. The great games are usually when he comes on circa 70min time. No luck was mentioned from me above.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    No Jbryne stop getting trapeyed again.

McClean has some great games and some ok games for ireland. The great games are usually when he comes on circa 70min time. No luck was mentioned from me above.
    it's a dilemma. i do tend to agree that mcclean had such an impact as he was facing a tired, relatively inexperienced full back. i would stick with mcgeady against the scots as he'll have something to prove and has the ability to create something from nothing.

mclean doesn't really have a trick in him as such. they are very different prospects.

i don't think i would go for quinn in the middle - he is 'busy' but lacks a bit of quality. i'd probably look at gibson.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts

Hoolahan i have a feeling would be really bullied against Scotland, they will have their homework done on him they know our players inside out.
    I dunno, in Glasgow we had nobody to occupy their midfielders. Our two against their three made Mulgrew look like Maradona. Hoolahan will give them something to think about and he plays against Scotland's standard of player week in week out. Don't be afraid of what Scotland's players think about ours. football can be over complicated sometimes. We need to put out a team to beat Scotland while being mindful of their own strengths.

I disagree with littlest Hobo above sbout Whelan. I thought he did fine on Sunday. One thing that bugged me on Sunday was how early our CBs played the ball even when they had space in front of them. A CB should be able to carry the ball ten yards before passing. Our inability to do this meant Whelan and McCarthy always received the ball deep in our half rather than just inside Poland's. That's a huge difference and made life much easier for Poland.

One quality I admire in Keogh is his willingness to carry the ball out. I'd like to see more of that in our better players. Only Hoolahan (all game) and McCarthy (late stages only) looked to actually carry the ball any distance, bar the wide players and full backs who you expect to do this. Driving the ball through midfield is how to break down two banks of four. Passing it wide always means the two banks of four have won.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 31/03/2015 at 3:50 PM.

7. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post

"we only got an equaliser as the ref didn't give a foul on the polish keeper in the lead-up"
    etc. etc. etc.

all a bit tiring really
    oh come on, it's completely fair to comment that we got lucky with the Fabianski foul and it is not at all the same as saying we only got the result because of it. It was I who brought up that decision in this conversation, but I also said from the start that the draw was the very least our performance deserved.

9. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Didn't mcClean start really wellin Stockholm and set the tone for a confident performance?

I'm not sure he's only an impact sub. I think it might be more that he is hit and miss, sometimes ineffective, sometimes inspirational.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Didn't mcClean start really wellin Stockholm and set the tone for a confident performance?

I'm not sure he's only an impact sub. I think it might be more that he is hit and miss, sometimes ineffective, sometimes inspirational.
    yeah - a dilemma as i say! in a way i'd rather bring him off the bench for mcgeady though rather than the other way around. i think he is capable of making more of an impact against a tiring full back than mcgeady but they are very different.

on the other hand, mcclean sticks to the touchline more than mcgeady thus offering a bit more protection to the left back - and if that's to be brady we will need it.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts

Ya but he faded, lustig is no great shakes either an average right back who was marking him that night, although i think he switched to Safari park.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Disagree on Whelan as well, did a lot of cleaning up and covering when Coleman/Hoolahan/Brady were bombing on
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

14. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post

etc. etc. etc.

all a bit tiring really
    I am guilty of that I have to admit but bearing in mind how fussy the ref had been throughout the game, if he had blown for a free no one would have been surprised.

Forde/Given coming down to form. Not sure about that. Given was selected on presence and leadership apparently. On form it would actually be Westwood but I am sounding like a broken record.

Back 4, on the basis that Brady will have learned from his mistakes, I agree.

I'd stick the to the 4 O'Neill selected. Whelan had a good game and doesn't deserve to be dropped. McGeady is McGeady - who knows what you'll get.

I'd still stick with Robbie and release the pace of Long and McLean as he did on Sunday but perhaps with 25 minutes to go rather than 10.

Staying with 4-4-2 which most thought was antiquated?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Soccer Republic last night, Stuy Byrne suggested that Dane Massey of Dundalk be given a look at for the left back role. It's a very interesting point too, given that it is certainly a problem area for Ireland.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Soccer Republic last night, Stuy Byrne suggested that Dane Massey of Dundalk be given a look at for the left back role. It's a very interesting point too, given that it is certainly a problem area for Ireland.
    I can see why he'd pick Massey as he's arguably the best performing left full in the league, but the whole argument over LB is that the other options are weak at defending, and Massey's strong suit is not his defending. And I'd argue Brady and Ward, though they're not great defenders, have defended to a much higher level than anyone in the LOI.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Owlsfan they were introduced with more, its just the time wasting from 70-80 mins and the fact we were so slow in taking our corners and set-pieces. I think it was about 4 and half mins of actual play in that period.

But I also suggested the 65 min mark as a good time to make the change - the mcclean one anyway, long for whelan was risky anytime sooner, but if he were to come on for robbie or someone then no problem.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Was it 442?

It was 4411 or 4231 to start with, though Walters interchanged between RHM and Central forward. So at times we had two upfront, other times Walters was wide right waiting for the long ball but going central when a wide player had the ball on the right.

When Whelan was subbed the shape was a bit of everything, 433, 424, whatever. I'd say there was relatively little of that game that was played as a rigid 442. It was about as tactically flexible as I have ever seen Ireland, though that's not saying much!

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Was it 442?

It was 4411 or 4231 to start with, though Walters interchanged between RHM and Central forward. So at times we had two upfront, other times Walters was wide right waiting for the long ball but going central when a wide player had the ball on the right.

When Whelan was subbed the shape was a bit of everything, 433, 424, whatever. I'd say there was relatively little of that game that was played as a rigid 442. It was about as tactically flexible as I have ever seen Ireland, though that's not saying much!
    It was pretty fluid. When the ball was with Given (such as a goal kick), Walters drifted right for the kick and sometimes popped up there for long balls.

Actually thought that was part of our long-ball issue. They were always angled wide to Walters, who was quite far from Keane and Hoolahan on most occasions.

On that note - I suppose the idea is to have Walters up against a less aerially strong full-back, but if we're going to barrel it up there I'd rather have it going into the aul proverbial mixer.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Whelan has to play - he played really well on Sunday.

There's increasingly a debate about McCarthy but I think he gets another shot if he's fit.

Given will be our keeper from now until the Euros, unless he gets injured. It was a cert from the moment he joined the squad.

I'd go fluid 442, Wilson for Brady, Clark at centre half and Long for Walters (harsh but simply as a change of philosophy because I'm not convinced our long ball game is up to anything).
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    [QUOTE=Stuttgart88;1811727]
    One quality I admire in Keogh is his willingness to carry the ball out. I'd like to see more of that in our better players. [QUOTE]

Quality and Keogh????

You've lost all credibility with such a comment!

Dreadful CB, gives it away more times than a Dublin Barmaid!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I didn't say Keogh was quality, you know that. I said his willingness to carry the ball forward was a quality I admire and something I'd like to see O'Shea and Wilson do more of.

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast