Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Scotland - Saturday, 13th June 2015 - Euro 2016 Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Walters doesn't contribute anything from an attacking perspective so for that reason alone I am not confident.

McGeady will also start, regardless of form or fitness so for that reason I am not confident.

McClean and/or Long will probably be on the bench.

You see the way Long has been playing and linking up with a pacy player like Sadio Mane at Southampton and it makes you long for McClean and Long linking up with Ireland and attacking vulnerable defenders; but needs must, we must start Walters for some reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Final squad for the Scotland & England games. Cox, Rooney, Judge, Doyle, Pilkington cut:

David Forde
    Shay Given
    Keiren Westwood
    Darren Randolph
    Richard Keogh
    Marc Wilson
    Seamus Coleman
    Cyrus Christie
    John O’Shea
    Alex Pearce
    Paul McShane
    James McCarthy
    Jeff Hendrick
    Stephen Ward
    Harry Arter
    Glenn Whelan
    Aiden McGeady
    James McClean
    Robbie Brady
    Stephen Quinn
    David Meyler
    Wes Hoolahan
    Robbie Keane
    Shane Long
    Daryl Murphy
    Jon Walters
    David McGoldrick
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

3. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Thanks Trap, but all a bit pointless given that TOWK already knows who'll be playing.

Jokes aside, I wonder will 352 be tried against NI. We need 5 in the middle, in one form or another, we could do with two upfront, we want Brady to start but we don't want him to be exposed at LB.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    http://www.sundayworld.com/sport/soc...utual-decision

Doyle's omission a mutual decision.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I wonder will 352 be tried against NI.
    Do we have enough reliable centre back options for that formation?
    Last edited by DeLorean; 31/05/2015 at 2:30 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    O'Shea Wilson McShane

And there's always yer man, you know, the Derby guy!

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I keep changing my mind but I'm not overly enthused by those three at the back except for the prospect of Coleman and Brady as wing backs, that really could make it worthwhile. I liked the idea of a back three with Clark included but obviously he's not available. I think being naturally left sided and good on the ball might have given it a better balance but I suppose Wilson is capable of covering that side. It might not matter too much though as MON's successful 3-5-2 at Celtic was based around three fairly similar, robust centre backs. If that is the way we're going to go then I suppose there's no great need for width in midfield and might make more sense to play somebody like Hendrick instead of McClean or McGeady, especially given the latter's lack of game time recently and the former's ability to influence the game from the bench. The fact that TOWK is probably correct in relation to Walters being a guaranteed starter makes me think we'd be better served with a 4-2-3-1. The 4 and the 2 pick themselves. Maybe Walters could play on the left of the 3, not quite the frustrating out and out wide role, more one I've seen him play with Stoke to good effect. He could still help Brady when required of course. Hoolahan has to play and I'd have him in the centre of the 3 and I'm thinking Hendrick on the right, that position would suit him perfectly. It has to be Long up front I think, at this point, given Keane's lack of game time and self confessed inability to play as a lone front man. We'll need massive offensive performances from Coleman and Brady I think with this formation.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Long, Walters, Ward, Hoolahan, Wilson and McGeady will arrive late and miss 2 full days of training because they are still on holidays. Whatever about Long, Walters, Hoolahan & Wilson but Ward & McGeady could do with the extra training since they are incredibly lacking in match practice and have a lot to prove. Walters seems to arrive late for every squad get together but I am aware that he has been playing hurt for some time. I am aware of the realities but it really is a pity that they all can't be there when they are due to be there. They lead a very charmed existence... You could say that club football is their bread and butter and their clubs are their employers, but I will remember this if in two years time they pull a Liam Lawrence and complain about not getting their International bonuses.

Two huge games coming up. They should all want to be there on time - Ward & McGeady in particular.

Paul McShane has the right attitude, always has the right attitude.

He is looking for a new club and he can't train because of that Merouane Fellaini tackle but he is there anyways.

Some people would be all too ready to use one or both of those things as an excuse.
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 01/06/2015 at 8:26 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Training doesn't give match practice. Matches do. McGeady and Ward will have been training hard for weeks, if not months. Two extra days in Dublin will make sod all difference. Furthermore, rest is an important part of achieving peak fitness. Rest after exertion to allow adaptation to take place, rest before exertion to ensure freshness.

Walters has been playing through injury as you acknowledge. From what I've heard his club would love him to miss these games.

You're always looking for an angle that frankly isn't there.

13. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    The ol' conspiracy theory. Usually associated with paranoid individuals who like to knock.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Jokes aside, I wonder will 352 be tried against NI.
    Well, that would represent quite a radical revision of the subtitution rules, even for a closed doors match.
    "Life is like a hair on a toilet seat. Sooner or later you are bound to get pi$$ed off."

"In this league, a draw is sometimes as good as a win" - Steve Morison

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Are we overlooking Arter? I think he could play his way into contention for Scotland. Both he and Quinn could bring an energy and drive to our midfield.

I'm sure Whelan is nailed on to start. I have a feeling that Wes is too and I'm sure McCarthy will play despite only coming alive in fits and starts against Poland. Three at the back would allow another.

I think TOWK is probably right wrt Walters. I have a feeling he'll play at McGeady's expense.

I'd like to see

-------------------------Given---------------
    -------------McShane - O'Shea - Wilson-----------
    Coleman --------------------------------------Brady (or McClean or Quinn)
    --------------Whelan--- ---McCarthy (or Quinn)----------
    -------------------------Wes-----------------------
    -----------------Walters--------Long------------

We have a lot of good players who can't guarantee a start regardless of what shape he uses.
    I think the wing back formation could be a little risky against Scotland. I actually wouldn't be too concerned about Brady but Coleman could be up against it on the right with the attacking combination of Robertson and Anya, or even Maloney. I know in theory McShane should be able to cover for him but this formation can be badly exposed in terms of leaving gaps. The likes of Naismith and Maloney are very good at drifting between the lines and finding little pockets, I think we'd be playing into their hands. I also think it leaves us a bit light in midfield again for no great reason, that is the area we should be really trying to dominate after the shambles in Celtic Park. Taking into account the guaranteed starters and fitness issues, as stated already, I would go with:

--------------------------- Given --------------------- (I'd have Westwood really but won't happen)

Coleman --------- O'Shea -------- Wilson -------- Brady

----------------- Whelan ----- McCarthy --------------

--------- Hendrick ------ Hoolahan ------- Walters -----

------------------------- Long ------------------------

I think Hendrick and Hoolahan's natural midfield instincts would help Whelan and McCarthy no end. In addition, Whelan and McCarthy's defensive responsibilities would allow Hendrick to excel in a position he's more accustomed to playing. I'd like to think also, that as well as offering a great physical presence, Hendrick and Walters would help bring the full backs into the game more than we've seen up until now, as we've gone for more natural width in midfield.

Personally, I am overlooking Arter, by all means give him game time against England but Scotland is just too early for a player of his inexperience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Training doesn't give match practice. Matches do. McGeady and Ward will have been training hard for weeks, if not months. Two extra days in Dublin will make sod all difference. Furthermore, rest is an important part of achieving peak fitness. Rest after exertion to allow adaptation to take place, rest before exertion to ensure freshness.

Walters has been playing through injury as you acknowledge. From what I've heard his club would love him to miss these games.

You're always looking for an angle that frankly isn't there.

“I’ve had plenty of time off so I’m full of enthusiasm and drive,” he said after training on Monday. “When you’re at home on the couch you realise how much you miss it so I was delighted to get the call and now I just want to train and play.”

“There is a lot of competition so need to you train well and catch the eye for selection. There are so many quality strikers here but it’s a great chance for me to come and train and get the intensity back.”
    David McGoldrick

Stephen Ward & Aiden McGeady have been out injured for 3 months and have been out of favor for a couple months more. They have had enough rest and recuperation. It would not harm them coming in on time. It would not harm them being with the collective, being assessed by management, re-integrating with the senior team and building up sharpness again after the post PL break. Most importantly, it's just a courtesy thing being on time. Whatever about Long, Hoolahan, Walters & Wilson - Ward & McGeady should want to be there and show the attitude McGoldrick & McShane have; they are two players who have had similar injury problems and want to come into the reckoning. There is not terribly much time between now & the NI game, that & the England game and that & the Scotland game. They haven't played since last year, McGeady aside, and he was absolutely **** poor in the Poland game - that's my point. I wouldn't get bogged down in this sports science thing.

I was merely making an observation about Walters, not a complaint. It seems that every time I read the papers after the national team return to Malahide I read that Walters will be arriving in a few days.

I'm not raving mad about it or anything! It's just a little disappointing. You would think everyone would want to be there now to prepare for these huge games, one of which our European Championship hopes ride on. I want everyone to be on the same page.

In saying that, if I had to choose whose man-management methods I prefer in situations like these, then I would probably choose Martin's lenience over Trapattoni, who used to get exasperated over things like this.

Good to see McCarthy & Coleman there though!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    I see your point but it's not a biggy for me and I agree wrt MON's approach. If these guys have young kids, for example, it'd make sense for them to join up a day or two later than those who don't. Also, McGoldrick returned from injury later than Ward and McGeady who are both fully fit, but not necessarily match fit. I'm sure if MON really wanted them there he'd have told them to be there. Neither has a history of flakiness.

Also, we don't know yet that their club commitments are over. I don't mean playing games, but this includes being part of the club physio staff's injury management or recovery programme. Different I know, but Hoolahan was being treated by his club for his knee injury before flying over.

Overall I think it's ok for the established players to turn up a bit later than others for a what will be a long two week camp, likely to be training and videos plus some unbelievable spells of boredom. They know the drill, they've been there and done it. Being fresh after a few days break might well be better for them than being cooped up in Malahide. I trust MON on this, more than I do his selections!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    There have been signs of Irish players losing their tempers a bit in the Scotland & Poland games. I sincerely hope we hold our nerve in Dublin. The ball is in Scotland's court. I think they are going to frustrate us & stifle us; they also have players with the temperament to get under our skin.

Really worried about this game TBH. I'm going to have no nails left.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    There have been signs of Irish players losing their tempers a bit in the Scotland & Poland games. I sincerely hope we hold our nerve in Dublin. The ball is in Scotland's court. I think they are going to frustrate us & stifle us; they also have players with the temperament to get under our skin.

Really worried about this game TBH. I'm going to have no nails left.
    i'm also worried about it but to deploy a type of cliche that usually irks me, if we can't beat scotland at home then we probably don't deserve to qualify (and we surely won't).

so in summary i've a fatalistic approach to this one, for now.

in terms of the team, i'd start westwood v england (and maybe even northern ireland) and if he does well give him the nod against scotland. given is a stop gap solution.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    I think I would go with Westwood as he had a good consistant season.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    i'm also worried about it but to deploy a type of cliche that usually irks me, if we can't beat scotland at home then we probably don't deserve to qualify (and we surely won't).

so in summary i've a fatalistic approach to this one, for now.

in terms of the team, i'd start westwood v england (and maybe even northern ireland) and if he does well give him the nod against scotland. given is a stop gap solution.
    If you were fatalistic you wouldn't care who was in goals as it would make no difference. I think you are just 'very concerned', but not fatalistic

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Interesting stuff from McGeady..... more when you click on the links.

McGeady also hinted that the Scots had anticipated Ireland's strategy on the night, an observation which might raise eyebrows, yet he ultimately put the struggles down to poor individual performances.

"They probably knew which way we were going to play and their formation helped them to get the win," he continued. "But I don't think anyone in our team could give themselves pass marks from that game.

"Scotland probably knew which way we were going to play and their formation helped them to get the win, the way they set out their team.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-31274421.html

The bottom line is that the Derry man rates the player very highly. So highly that even McGeady was taken aback when he was picked for March's draw with Poland.

"I was surprised," admitted McGeady. "The manager maybe thought it was a risk he was willing to take if I could produce something but on the night I didn't. Then James McClean came on and produced a little bit and we had a bit of momentum in the last half an hour.

McGeady really wanted to be a part of the Polish game and told 98FM at yesterday's launch of the McDonald's FAI Future Football campaign that he received an injection on a sore back beforehand without telling his employers.

"They weren't all that happy with that and it set me back a few weeks," he said. "In hindsight, I probably should have just left it and not played. But you want to play, don't you?"

The anecdote illustrates his desire to represent Ireland, especially in light of Everton's clashes with Irish management related to the well-being of James McCarthy and Seamus Coleman.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-31274420.html
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 03/06/2015 at 2:40 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Glenn practicing his long passes

27. Thanks From:

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast