Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Delaney takes temporary charge at FAI

barglee

Delaney takes temporary charge at FAI

He officially accepted position.....

Delaney takes temporary charge at FAI
    Thursday, 25th November, 2004

FAI treasurer John Delaney has this evening accepted an offer to fill the role of chief executive officer on an interim basis and with immediate effect.

Delaney takes the position following former incumbent Fran Rooney's resignation at the start of the month.

The 37-year-old was formally offered the post at a recent meeting of the association's 60-strong council and made his decision today following two weeks of deliberation.

The FAI still intend advertising the permanent position before Christmas after the Government threatened to withhold funding if it failed to do so.

"I look forward to meeting the challenges which lie ahead and particularly to continuing our engagement with Government and the Irish Sports Council in the interest of all involved in Irish football," Delaney said in a statement this evening.

FAI president Milo Corcoran said he was confident Delaney's appointment would provide stability to the association.

"I know that John will enjoy widespread respect not just from within the football community but from the world of business also, as he deals with the issues and challenges which face the association in the immediate future", he said.

He continued: "Among the association's key priorities will be to work hard on our relationships with the Government, sponsors, staff, those who play our game and our fans."

Corcoran had initially said the position - and also that of financial director - was unlikely to face public competition this year.

When asked after the last council meeting how long Delaney was expected to reign during the interim period, he said, "I'm not going to get drawn into that. How long is a piece of string? It's interim, that's all."

However, Delaney, in a move designed to ease relations with the then enraged Sports Minister, John O'Donoghue, stated to the effect that the FAI would indeed advertise the posts this year.

Delaney remains the front runner to permanently succeed Rooney.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    delaney the muppet

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    cnut!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    anyone know who are the people going to pick the new CEO?
    Followin Our Own Teams In Eire

theres no cure for the League of Ireland bug. spread it :)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barglee
    FAI president Milo Corcoran said he was confident Delaney's appointment would provide stability to the association.

"I know that John will enjoy widespread respect not just from within the football community but from the world of business also, as he deals with the issues and challenges which face the association in the immediate future", he said.

He continued: "Among the association's key priorities will be to work hard on our relationships with the Government, sponsors, staff, those who play our game and our fans."
    Last in the pecking order. At least we got a mention!
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    That's funny, I didn't realise the FAI had any fans...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryPhelan
    That's funny, I didn't realise the FAI had any fans...
    well they certainly don't have any on this site
    "If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better." Johan Cruyff

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What a farce.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    New FAI head Delaney promises to speed up reforms
    26/11/2004 - 11:20:53

The Football Association of Ireland's new interim Chief Executive Officer John Delaney has said his immediate priority is to accelerate the reform process within the FAI.

"The key short-term priorities are to advance the organisational structure changes, to improve relationships with all our stakeholders and to begin the process of developing a business plan," he said.

Mr Delaney reiterated the FAI's commitment to advertise the posts of Chief Executive Officer and Finance Director by January and said the relationships with the Department of Sport, the Irish Sports Council and the Government were fundamental to the future successful development of the game.

He said the issue of funding was critical but admitted that the management of the Association's image and its actions were key factors in the generation of funds whether from the Government or commercial sponsors.

"If we are to increase participation, provide facilities for our children and make an impact on the health and well-being of our community, we need to ensure continuity of funding into the long term," he said.

He acknowledged that the image of the Association had been damaged as it had come through a very turbulent period but claimed that the FAI was reforming.

"We have been changing. Not as fast or as fully as we planned but we remain committed to getting the reform process back on track," he said.

He said the first level of changes set out by the Genesis report required significant changes in the voluntary and board structures and these have been achieved with the reduction in the FAI's board from 22 to 10 and the reconstitution of the FAI committee system.

"We now need to move on the executive and staff change programmes and the many procedural and process reforms which will bring about more professionalism," he said.
    Delaney + reform what a joke that is.

"(Delaney 2002)... if this Genesis report isnt implemented in 1 year I will resign...."

What about the Eircom League Delaney ?? what exactly have you ever done to improve it FFS.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Delaney does talk some serious biosolid
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Nationalism is an infantile disease, the measles of mankind

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sunday Times

"It is a given that John Delaney will need considerable strength of character to meet the challenges he must face when he assumes his duties as the new chief executive of the FAI, an organisation notoriously riven by factional struggles. Anybody who cares about the fundamental welfare of the national game will be hoping fervently that the he can succeed where recently others have, for disparate reasons, spectacularly come unstuck. Too often of late the FAI's activities and attitudes have invited scorn. The conspicuous failure to discharge properly their responsibilities to the sport is saddening because theirs is a key function that no other body can udnertake."

This is Hugh McAllvaney peice in the Sunday Times at the weekend. I've simply switched the name of John Delaney from our FAI for Brian Barwick of the the English FA. It seems they are having an equally entertaining time with their football association as our own.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh Christ, he's being serious there, isn't he?