Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryan Manning D Southampton b.1996

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    541 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColourfulPeanut View Post
    We're so short at left back that he should definitely be included. I don't think left back is his best position and thought he was poor on his international debut but his versatility should get him the nod. He hasn't done too poorly at Swansea by all accounts.
    If everyone were fit, I'd imagine after Stevens, it'd be one of Doherty and Coleman, whichever isn't playing on the right, followed by Robbie Brady or Derrick Williams or Dara O'Shea, then followed by Manning and then Cyrus Christie.

Think he'd probably make my current squad with the injuries, combination of injuries at left back, centre back and centre mid, which all take depth away...

When he played against Bulgaria, both Doherty (covid) and Coleman (injured) missed out, meaning O'Shea played right back. Stevens missed out due to injury, as did Williams. With Hendrick (suspended), Molumby (suspended?), McCarthy (bereavement), Arter (injured), Browne (covid?) missing from centre midfield, Brady was playing there... Anyway, hard to imagine we could be as badly hit this time around...
    Last edited by elatedscum; 07/03/2021 at 2:39 AM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Williams was making the squad while in and out of a Blackburn side that were performing well below Swansea's level (and he had his injury problems which contributed to that.) It's good O'Shea has shown himself to be an option but it's not unlikely he will be playing at a lower level than Manning in a few months.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    541 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Williams was making the squad while in and out of a Blackburn side that were performing well below Swansea's level (and he had his injury problems which contributed to that.) It's good O'Shea has shown himself to be an option but it's not unlikely he will be playing at a lower level than Manning in a few months.
    Sure. Hard to know what his best position is. I've seen him play centre-midfield more than any other position. Have also seen him play on the wing I think. Reports on him and full back and wing back have been both very positive and somewhat mixed. Thought he didn't have a great game against Bulgaria though.

Have seen so little of the championship since lockdown started, probably because premier league games have been much more spread out and they're all on tv during the week, as opposed to the usual 4/5/6 you used to get...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Playing centre back of what looks like a back 3 for Swansea tonight in the Sky game. Interesting...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    553 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bottle of Tonic View Post
    Playing centre back of what looks like a back 3 for Swansea tonight in the Sky game. Interesting...
    Isn’t he very small for that position ?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Isn’t he very small for that position ?
    Gaby Heinze and Nelson Vivas played there and they are small yet mobile players, usually fullbacks, of course alongside a LIBERO or sweeper like Joe Chamot, Mauricio Pochettino or Robbie Ayala,

Anyway for me Manning is a flair player, to play him there is at his manager fault, because he is a lousy defender but a great footballer.

Great footballers can play everywhere with practise, for me Manning is a midfielder could be a anywhere in midfield, better as a left mid or as a number 10. as a defender it is a waste of talent

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    I was trying to follow it for 5minutes there. Is he left of a two or middle of a three?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Yeah, he has been centre half and had a very good game from what I can tell. Stepped up lovely at one stage for Bristol City to think they had got in behind for a chance.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Woeful first touch and subsequent lunge for a yellow aside, he did ok. But here, its a **** standard of football on view tonight. Typical helter skelter English fare. Good preparation for the international team right enough.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    has played as a Libero according to the BBC, which is unveliable, that remarks my previous statement, he is an all round midifielder,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Yeah, he has been centre half and had a very good game from what I can tell. Stepped up lovely at one stage for Bristol City to think they had got in behind for a chance.
    That's disappointing as we're relatively stacked at centre half. I'd be much happier seeing him excel at full or wing back.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    No harm that he improves his defensive abilities at the centre of the defence is the only thing. He might become a better full or wing back.

13. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    He's probably capable of doing an effective job as a holding midfielder as well. A very useful squad option.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    yes he is a midfielder for me, somewhere in midfield should be good, not a left back at all in my view, its odd that they played him as a Libero in a back 3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Shades of Stephen Ward about him, starting out as an attacker before ending up in defence.

Never in a million years would have guessed he'd have ended up playing centre half when he first came on the scene.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Shades of Stephen Ward about him, starting out as an attacker before ending up in defence.

Never in a million years would have guessed he'd have ended up playing centre half when he first came on the scene.
    Whatever about that, would you have guessed that he'd end up playing as a "libero"?

18. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    553 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Whatever about that, would you have guessed that he'd end up playing as a "libero"?
    Perhaps he was good at the Volley-Ball.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Playing really well, he is a midfielder playing out of position there, ver y composed con the ball and a first timers passer

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    I dont know the stats but Manning's pass accuracy today must be 90%, 95%, he didnt missplace a single pass, and that long pass to obafemi was exceptional

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    I dont know the stats but Manning's pass accuracy today must be 90%, 95%, he didnt missplace a single pass, and that long pass to obafemi was exceptional
    I think the number you are looking for is 100% provided he didn't misplace a pass as you suggest

23. Thanks From:

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast