Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryan Manning D Southampton b.1996

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Lovely lovely assist for Swansea second, it was a máster pass from a #10. A Liam Brady kind of special delivery, ditto this.... He was dribbled pasa by Long with ease in a one on one for the equalizer and then couldnt block the killer pasa to Shane for the final punch out

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    What a goal he scored. A beauty!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Another lovely goal today. Ball broke from Okoflex and he hit it just outside the left side of the box with his left foot to the right side of the goal.

We might need a “Swansea Irish and Opposition Irish” thread

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Kenny can't keep ignoring Manning. Highest rated Irish player according to Whoscored and Swansea fans are talking about him being their best player so far this season.

Out of contract next summer when he turns 27. Won't be short of offers next year and should get himself a good move with the contract to match it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    On his way out of Swansea at the end of the year according to Martin Russell, won’t be signing a new contract. Where does he go? Is he someone who moves to the Premier League now, via a Burnley or similar or is it more of a lateral move and he stays in the division? Goes abroad?

He shows up on the WS Championship Team of the Season so far.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    The correct decision by Manning. He'll be 27 in the summer and probably his last chance to get a decent contract.

Could see him at Sheffield United if they didn't have a transfer embargo though they might have that sorted by the summer. Burnley probably have their sights set on signing Maatsen whose on loan and Charlie Taylor still has a year on his contract. Teams that are up around the play offs pushing for promotion are probably his level.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    749 Posts
    This has a bit of a West Brom/Middlesbrough feel to it alright. He's free so will get himself a decent wage. But EPL teams don't tend to bother with free transfers from the Championship, even when they're potentially good enough for that level, as we saw with Darragh Lenihan - who was excellent for Blackburn, is now excellent for Middlesbrough, but didn't get a Premier League move last summer and probably still wouldn't if he was available on a free this summer.

So a Championship team with realistic promotion prospects seems his best bet here. QPR to Swansea was a bit of a sideways move for him a few years ago, so hopefully he gets something better than that.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Another one for Manning this season. (apparently took a deflection off him v anything too delightful)

A lot of headaches (good ones) for Kenny coming up to this window. Will be interesting to see if he brings in some deserving names or if he sticks.
    Last edited by SkStu; 14/03/2023 at 8:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Watching Swansea v Huddersfield on iFollow so it's Swansea biased commentators. "We talk about Ryan Manning's quality every week".

They think he's a superb player who can consistently put dangerous balls in the box. Considering how poor our set pieces were against France...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    I wonder is the England game haunting him? I think he hasn't had a minute for us since that game. He was shocking in it, but England are unfortunately rather good these days and his league form suggests he's worth another look.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Manning didn't play that game? Not sure who you're thinking of.

Manning played 90 minutes against Lithuania last March and I thought he did well going forward in it, though Lithuania are hardly a guide as to how good he'd be against a good attacking team.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Just scored now today too to put Swansea in front.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    749 Posts
    Never going to be a likely pick under Kenny unfortunately, unless he finds a way to absolutely force his hand. Which would probably require him to find his way to the Premier League. A cheap pickup for Sheffield United in the summer maybe?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Manning didn't play that game? Not sure who you're thinking of.

Manning played 90 minutes against Lithuania last March and I thought he did well going forward in it, though Lithuania are hardly a guide as to how good he'd be against a good attacking team.
    That's odd. I would have sworn blind that he'd played that game, but you're right. I have no idea who or which games I'm mixing up.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    I thought he was very poor initially. Maybe it was nerves. He couldn’t play a 5 yard pass. I remember him miscontrolling a ball out of play and looking up at the sky cause it was his third really bad error in about 15 mins. That was probably his debut.

I also remember him coming on with maybe 5 mins left and maybe 2 really poor mistakes in that time.

I thought he was really impressive against Lithuania though, particularly when he went to the left centre half with about 20 or 30 mins left (he was playing there at club level at the time). He was really progressive and intelligent with his passing from that zone and he was key in us sustaining constant pressure and eventually getting the winner. He was trying the difficult pass and it was coming off, again and again.

If we are gonna play 5 at the back against weaker sides who put 11 men behind the ball, that’s where I’d like to see him play, as a left sided centre half.

16. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    749 Posts
    In fairness I think we have enough centre backs without sticking Manning there. Even Swansea don't do that anymore. Anyway Kenny won't pick him so it won't be an issue while he remains in charge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Kenny was asked about manning in the presser the day of the squad announcement - extolled the virtues that Manning had, and it was as outlined above, as a left sided centreback who could carry the ball and distribute well in games where we'd be the domininat team.

While I think it's unlikely we'd see him in June, it's not a foregone conclusion.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Two assists today in the 3-0 win over Norwich. Unfortunately for Idah he was subbed in the first half as Norwich had a man sent off.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Named in the Sky Bet/whoscored.com Championship Team of the Season. Not sure if that's an official TotS or just two companies looking to get the brand name out, but it seems a great achievement.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    EFL have a sponsorship with Whoscored who do the TotW for the EFL leagues but their was a TotS announced last month at the EFL awards.

https://www.efl.com/news/2023/april/...-ups-revealed/

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast