Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Josh Cullen (M Burnley b.1996)

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    I think its a case that I just think hes better than you do, lets see where he ends up. At this stage of his career I think it would be disappointing to see him go to the Championship

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    851 Posts
    The Cullen at Anderlecht sub plot has been one of the more interesting stories in Irish football in recent seasons, and fair play to him, it was not a given at all that he would go there & ace it. Liam Kelly from a very similar profile club apps wise, to a similar stature of club in Holland didn't.

It remains to be seen how this will translate re how he is viewed in the English game and what level of option it has opened up for him but a scan of the various footballers wages sites has him around the £6 to £8k mark, the same sites for example have him earning about 60 to 75% less than Hendrick / Hourihane. Think about that. He has ten years left if he is lucky, and I would expect him to address the earnings gap which the Belgian move was a stepping stone towards surely. I hope he is deemed worth a stable mid table club starting spot but if a yo yo / parachute payment contract is what comes his way, I can see him taking it & wouldn't blame him one bit. Anderlecht will be in European competition but not for long, they will get their ass handed to them well before Christmas and the extra multi thousands a week elsewhere will decide this above any brief European campaign.

Unless Anderlecht make him a top earner, not just at the club but in that country, which would be great to see.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

3. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    HITC.com seem to be monitoring Belgian media, which noted Cullen's absence from Anderlecht's pre-season activities despite no reports of injury, and actually claim that he will be in Lancashire today (Monday) for a medical. HITC say that Anderlecht rejected £1.8m for him and that Burnley will have to pay £3m. If the transfer goes through, Cullen's original club - West Ham - will get a bit of the fee.

5. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Interesting article on Anderlecht's tactics under Kompany and Cullen's unique and hugely pivotal role in the team.

It's easy to see why he's so keen on signing Cullen and renewing their working relationship.

https://cafetactiques.com/2022/04/12...4-4-2-tactics/

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    I really hate this move. I understand it from a money point of view for him, he'll get big pay rise but hes already proven at that level and is more than capable of higher.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,626 Posts
    I don’t mind it at all. He’s moved to a team that will likely return to the premier league pretty quickly and has followed an ambitious manager that loves him and trusts him in a very defined role in his formation. It has a lot of upside for him.

11. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    'Burnley had seen previous bids rejected for the 26-year-old during extensive negotiations but have finally secured the services of a player who is understood to have turned down offers from La Liga and the Bundesliga in favour of reuniting with former boss Vincent Kompany.'
    https://theathletic.com/news/josh-cu.../EhffgD1lo0U4/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    https://twitter.com/BurnleyOfficial/...5Q-mFV0cYtfEcg

He should immediately leave after this announcement video

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Pity he turned down offers in the Bundesliga and La Liga, think he'd have done very well in Germany especially. The money and having worked with Kompany was probably enough to sway.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Was immense last night for Burnley, and can see why Kompany wanted him as he's a vital part in how he wants his teams to play. Calling it now that he'll be a PL player next season regardless of Burnley going up or not.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Was immense last night for Burnley, and can see why Kompany wanted him as he's a vital part in how he wants his teams to play. Calling it now that he'll be a PL player next season regardless of Burnley going up or not.

3m... If they doubled their money and got 6m for him the buyers would still be getting a bargain.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    An assist today in a 3-1 win over Middlesbrough, which has them six points clear at the top now. A regular starter and finisher - has played 20 games and only twice been subbed off, and those both in injury time.

Looking good for promotion, but of course there's a big jump up to the Premier, and the promise of new players to come in.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Didn't he play every minute in the league for Anderlecht last season bar in one game where he came off when they were 6-0 up.

19. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Scores tonight. He's going to the premier League baby! The move to Anderlecht has really paid off.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Appears to be the driving force in Burnley’s charge back to the PL. Interesting to hear Kompany say recently that with his attitude and determination difficult to predict his eventual level as he always surpasses expectation… https://www.uptheclarets.com/message...082bf90b442b51

22. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    "Early season I thought Cullen was a tidy midfielder but maybe a bit too safe and a bit of a sideways pass merchant."

If you had to write a job spec for the Irish midfield position over the last 15 years

Its proven to work for him going abroad to a seen to be lesser league and playing a different way. Hopefully a replica of what others in similar positions should do
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

24. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MancIrishWolf View Post
    Appears to be the driving force in Burnley’s charge back to the PL. Interesting to hear Kompany say recently that with his attitude and determination difficult to predict his eventual level as he always surpasses expectation… https://www.uptheclarets.com/message...082bf90b442b51
    Some really interesting quotes in there. I particularly like the ones which speak to an improvement in him with him being more progressive in his play recently. That augurs well for Ireland. He has been immense for us but we are short of midfield creativity (like many sides) so there needed to be more from Molumby and Cullen in that regard. Hopefully it comes.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I wouldn't say he's been immense ole. No one's been immense for Ireland since Kenny took over. We've mostly been very poor against generally poor opposition. Therefore I don't think we can say anyone's been immense. He's done a good job in his position though , what's been asked of him.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I really hate this move. I understand it from a money point of view for him, he'll get big pay rise but hes already proven at that level and is more than capable of higher.
    Seen this earlier on this page and in hindsight I was wrong about this one. He'll be in Premiership next season as a key member of the team rather than having gone to a Premiership team and trying to break in. The move has gone as well as it possibly could have.

28. Thanks From:

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast