Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Cullen (M Burnley b.1996)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    I guess the question is whether playing regularly for Anderlecht would be a high enough level for Cullen to be considered for the squad - how does it compare with The Championship?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    I guess the question is whether playing regularly for Anderlecht would be a high enough level for Cullen to be considered for the squad - how does it compare with The Championship?
    It's ranked ahead of the Dutch and Ukranian leagues. I don't think you can usefully compare a first division to a second division in different countries as the distribution of quality will be different but it's good enough that a good player in that league would be of the right standard to get into Ireland squads. The Belgian squad usually has a number of home-based players and they're a hell of a lot better than us.

3. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    It's ranked ahead of the Dutch and Ukranian leagues. I don't think you can usefully compare a first division to a second division in different countries as the distribution of quality will be different but it's good enough that a good player in that league would be of the right standard to get into Ireland squads. The Belgian squad usually has a number of home-based players and they're a hell of a lot better than us.
    Yeah, fair point - had a look at their squad - seem to have a lot of youngsters with loads of underage caps between them, with a fair smattering of players with senior international experience

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Managed now by Vincent Kompany, who played with them last season. Regular CL group stage participants up until last few seasons. It should be the makings of a good move for Cullen, and better than a championship one if he can make it work. He'll be 25 by end of this season, so he really did need to get out of West Ham.

6. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Good move you would have to think. I am not sure how they are performing under Kompany but a very big club and will come with pressure and expectation domestically and regular continental football.

Certainly a nice change from the usual - step down to the Championship - move our players take, which despite its renowned competitiveness is packed full of quite poor football teams.

Full credit to him for being willing to make the move as well as it’s wasn’t the convenient option.

Living in Brussels, well paid playing for the biggest club in the country challenging for silverware and in Europe must be exciting for anyone with a footballing head on their shoulders, go and play and enjoy and see where it takes you.

8. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Agree with all that.

Can jump on the Eurostar and he's back in London within a couple of hours too. So it's hardly as if he's moved to some remote location. A train from Manchester to London would take 2 and a half hours, for example.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    739 Posts
    Should be a good move for him alright and it's a direction I'd like to see more of our players go. As you say, Brussels is really easy to get to from the south of England.

I don't think we'll get to see him play much unfortunately. I remember Freesports used to show Belgian first division games a few years ago but I don't think they bother with it anymore.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

11. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Called up to replace the injured Arter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FAIreland...54002345373697

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Twice as good as arter

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    I agree. I didn't get the fuss over Arter's performance against Finland at all. Cullen is a very tidy player. Nuts and bolts stuff. If SK wants to develop play from the back and retain the ball he's good for that role. Much has been written here and in the Jack Byrne thread about the level they're playing at but here, as in my Jack Byrne opinion, I'm simply taking the view based on what I have seen that Cullen is a guy who would help the team play better. During that awful run of friendly results in O'Neill's last year in charge Rice was the only real bright spot in midfield, simply because he did what you expect an accomplished midfielder to do. I think Cullen does this stuff. Almost any team we play against, including lower ranked teams, has a player that just keeps the ball moving. Cullen reminds me of when I watched my son play in a school trip to Spain a few years ago. Literally every single opposition team had one player who'd take the ball deep, look up and play a pass - 45 degrees left, 45 degrees right, or straight. Then advanced 10 metres for a return pass, if needed. Without any fuss the opposition was further up the pitch, facing the right way. It's mind-bogglingly simple in principle but we haven't done this since Roy Keane was in his prime. Kinsella and Holland maybe. And in case I get accused of overstating my appreciation of Cullen, I'm actually fairly grounded in my opinion of him. His omission was probably my biggest disappointment in SK's first squad. I think he'll play his way into the team permanently soon enough.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 07/10/2020 at 8:13 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I agree. I didn't get the fuss over Arter's performance against Finland at all. Cullen is a very tidy player. Nuts and bolts stuff. If SK wants to develop play from the back and retain the ball he's good for that role. Much has been written here and in the Jack Byrne thread about the level they're playing at but here, as in my Jack Byrne opinion, I'm simply taking the view based on what I have seen that Cullen is a guy who would help the team play better. During that awful run of friendly results in O'Neill's last year in charge Rice was the only real bright spot in midfield, simply because he did what you expect an accomplished midfielder to do. I think Cullen does this stuff. Almost any team we play against, including lower ranked teams, has a player that just keeps the ball moving. Cullen reminds me of when I watched my son play in a school trip to Spain a few years ago. Literally every single opposition team had one player who'd take the ball deep, look up and play a pass - 45 degrees left, 45 degrees right, or straight. Then advanced 10 metres for a return pass, if needed. Without any fuss the opposition was further up the pitch, facing the right way. It's mind-bogglingly simple in principle but we haven't done this since Roy Keane was in his prime. Kinsella and Holland maybe. And in case I get accused of overstating my appreciation of Cullen, I'm actually fairly grounded in my opinion of him. His omission was probably my biggest disappointment in SK's first squad. I think he'll play his way into the team permanently soon enough.
    I think Molumby will become that player. Cullen will likely be backup for him. I would like to see Molumby, McCarthy and Hendrick/Hourihane starting in midfield tomorrow. Molumby has looked good for Brighton in his EFL cup appearances this season.

If Hourihane doesn't start then there's a case for playing Brady either left back or as a left sided forward so we don't lose our set piece delivery.
    Last edited by youngirish; 07/10/2020 at 10:22 AM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    I haven't seen enough of Molumby to have a view but I've certainly heard good things. My only real sight of him was vs Armenia(?) at Tallaght and he looked v good alright.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Starting for Anderlecht this evening against Leuven
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Played the full game in a 2-2 draw. Not sure as to how he played as I wasn't allowed attend the game.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    He looks different
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Interview with Cullen here.

https://www.the42.ie/cullen-in-good-...88141-Dec2020/

I do like him, he's done well for us whenever he's been given an opportunity. Decent passer and does the simple things well.

I'm never sure why he's not given more of a chance.

22. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    Interview with Cullen here.

https://www.the42.ie/cullen-in-good-...88141-Dec2020/

I do like him, he's done well for us whenever he's been given an opportunity. Decent passer and does the simple things well.

I'm never sure why he's not given more of a chance.
    I wonder is his Small Stature being held against him because otherwise he looks as good as any of the others !

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    3 starts in a row and Anderlecht up to 4th in table. Good to see

25. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Kompany lauds 'tough as iron' Cullen as Ireland midfielder makes his mark at Anderlecht https://the42.ie/5333082

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Looks the real deal from the couple of matches I’ve watched. Needs to start for us IMO in World Cup qualifying.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast