Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Jackie Jamison

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Jackie Jamison

Saw this guy play over the years and one of the best I've ever seen in LOI, should have went further and higher but was so humble he stayed. What a guy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    He is one of few LoI names that trendcend time and earned respect well beyond club rivalries, often mentioned among the 'best ever' post match type chats. He was at the end of his career when I really took notice of the wider league and became familiar wih other clubs' players and when he died his young age didnt register in a major way with me, now that Im not far off that age myself it certainly hits home! Barry Kehoe would have a similar profile for me albeit he had his trials at Manchester United before illness intervened - it was his medical that first flagged his illness. His testimonial was my first time seeing 'Ireland' live - Joey Malone and Martin Murray in Ireland shirts, Brian McClair and Peter Reid in Dundalk colours (and Liam Coyle), dream stuff, Dave Barry bizzare stuff. Anyway both men sadly died within weeks of each other in 2002 and I remember that as both had write ups as part of the fanfare of the 2002 FAI Cup final in April and both were gone early in the first summer season. Why I tend to connect the 2.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 28/03/2024 at 12:15 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Jackie was brilliant, he didn’t know what pressure was just went out and played.
    If we won 4-0 away he’d just sit quietly on the bus home no emotion at all, be exactly the same if we’d lost 4-0. An amazing talent but no drive at all, just loved playing.
    Never saw a more skilful player in the loi, and probably won’t either.
    He ripped rangers to bits that night in dalymount they couldn’t even kick him.
    Have heard a few stories from lads who played with him, he was very quiet person but a funny man too he’d a wicked sense of humour, top top bloke.
    The Great Man.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    I never got to see him but when i started following Bohs back in 99/00, he was always the player that the fans spoke about in the pub afterwards. Many talked about the goal he got against Athlone Town being the greatest they'd seen from a Bohs player. Always felt a bit jealous that i'd never got to see him play other than a few poor enough clips on a couple of Bohs DVDs. There are two types of Bohs fans as i see it - before Jackie and after Jackie.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I was lucky enough to play football with him as a kid for years with him in Sundrive Park in Kimmage,impossible to get the ball off him and one of the humblest people I ever met.

Much missed on and off the pitch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    He was before my time but for many Bohs fans he is the greatest player to have ever played for the club. A real Bohs Legend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    [QUOTE=the 12 th man;2182396]I was lucky enough to play football with him as a kid for years with him in Sundrive Park in Kimmage,impossible to get the ball off him and one of the humblest people I ever met.[QUOTE]
    Reads like a sober Tony Sheridan.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!