Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to Sligo!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Welcome to Sligo!

Sligo Rovers have contacted the club to advise of important information for Cork City supporters travelling to The Showgrounds for tomorrow’s game.

• Any supporter who seeks admission and is deemed to be under the influence of alcohol will be refused admission.
    • Any supporter who attempts to, or enters the field of play will be removed from the ground and will be banned from attending future games.
    • Any supporter who is unruly will be removed from the ground and will be banned from attending future games.
    • Sligo Rovers FC security personnel will have the right to randomly search both home and visiting supporters and any breach of security or ground regulations will result in expulsion from the ground.
    • If any person is found in possession of or using pyrotechnics will be removed and banned from attending future games.
    • Sligo Rovers FC operates CCTV within its ground.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Seems standard enough for most clubs

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Ya similar enough to what Limerick put up the last few years and again this year.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Only the first weekend and eagle-eyed City Rebel spots blatant anti-Cork bias!

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Don't take it personally we have had problems with away support the last couple of seasons particularly Bohs, Drogs and of course the Minks.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CityRebel View Post
    Sligo Rovers have contacted the club to advise of important information for Cork City supporters travelling to The Showgrounds for tomorrow’s game.

• Any supporter who seeks admission and is deemed to be under the influence of alcohol will be refused admission.
    • Any supporter who attempts to, or enters the field of play will be removed from the ground and will be banned from attending future games.
    • Any supporter who is unruly will be removed from the ground and will be banned from attending future games.
    • Sligo Rovers FC security personnel will have the right to randomly search both home and visiting supporters and any breach of security or ground regulations will result in expulsion from the ground.
    • If any person is found in possession of or using pyrotechnics will be removed and banned from attending future games.
    • Sligo Rovers FC operates CCTV within its ground.
    They left out if under any circumstances a Cork player attempts to tackle a home player they too will be expelled from the ground.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    This is just all standard stuff for most clubs.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Always love the trip to Sligo, though as a League of Ireland (very) oldie it saddens me to see the increasingly strict segregation and security at matches.
    This is no pop at all off Sligo here, it's par for the course now.
    This is all well and good on the surface, and I am sure folk can argue successfully that it makes games "safer" or whatever, but it's at the cost of what has always been a really friendly league and for the 99% of fans who still fall into that category.
    Is body-searching every single away fan really necessary? It didn't prevent flares being brought in last night. It never does.
    Does every away fan have to be treated like a criminal, or a potential one, or at best feel like they are about to pay a prison visit to the nation's top terrorist?
    All the "security" is fine, and I'm not suggesting we shouldn't attempt to make grounds safe/safer for everyone. But sometimes you go down a route of hired security staff with little or no empathy for the league gnarling at people who are, at the end of the day, just going to a football match. I'm not sure it's the best approach, not for our league.
    You establish heavy-handed (IMO) security and you lessen what the league is. We don't have it at other sports (so much, anyway, if at all), we don't have it in theatres or cinemas or train stations where, let's be honest, people could do a lot more damage than setting off a flare if they wanted to.
    If we establish and insist on this culture, eventually those it is intended to stop simply find more and more ways of circumventing it, while those who are just out for a night's fun are treated with less and less respect.
    There is much talk of equality in this country at the moment.
    Away fans are exactly the same as home fans, and entitled to be treated the same. They will have paid the same price for a ticket.

And no, I'm not being naive. I've been around long enough and seen enough. I'm just not convinced that this is what we should be doing to our game, to our special league.
    ...Schwanholz, Herisau: a little bit of heaven...

11. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by CityRebel View Post
    Cork City have contacted the FAI to advise of important information for opposing clubs travelling to Turners Cross this season.

• Any opposition player who seeks a free kick and is deemed to be under the influence of the Dublin media bias will be refused admission.
    • Any opposition player who attempts to, or tackles a Cork City player will be removed from the ground and will be banned from attending future games.
    • Any opposition player who is deemed unruly will be removed from the ground and will be banned from attending future games.
    • Cork City personnel will have the right to randomly search visiting players throughout the game and any complaints will result in expulsion from the ground.
    • If any opposition player is found in possession of or using shin pads; they will be removed and banned from attending future games.
    • Cork City operates CCTV within its ground.
    A fair and just system for all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    You forgot to mention that anyone alleging that a Cork City player has committed a foul, whether in the current match or any in the past, will be liable to be sued for defamation and/or whinged at mercilessly on Foot.ie.

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    If an opposition player goes down claiming a foul by a Cork City FC player this player will be sent off and ejected from the stadium(turners cross or other) FIFA will distance itself from the issue and that taking action would go against the morales of Cork City FC hence adding to the claims that there is one rule for Cork City FC and another for the rest of world football.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickccfc View Post
    If an opposition player goes down claiming a foul by a Cork City FC player this player will be sent off and ejected from the stadium(turners cross or other) FIFA will distance itself from the issue and that taking action would go against the morales of Cork City FC hence adding to the claims that there is one rule for Cork City FC and another for the rest of world football.
    If only, Pats wouldn't have anybody left on the field last season.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    179 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donie Forde View Post
    Always love the trip to Sligo, though as a League of Ireland (very) oldie it saddens me to see the increasingly strict segregation and security at matches.
    This is all well and good on the surface, and I am sure folk can argue successfully that it makes games "safer" or whatever, but it's at the cost of what has always been a really friendly league and for the 99% of fans who still fall into that category.
    Is body-searching every single away fan really necessary? It didn't prevent flares being brought in last night. It never does.
    Does every away fan have to be treated like a criminal, or a potential one, or at best feel like they are about to pay a prison visit to the nation's top terrorist?
    All the "security" is fine, and I'm not suggesting we shouldn't attempt to make grounds safe/safer for everyone. But sometimes you go down a route of hired security staff with little or no empathy for the league gnarling at people who are, at the end of the day, just going to a football match. I'm not sure it's the best approach, not for our league.
    You establish heavy-handed (IMO) security and you lessen what the league is. We don't have it at other sports (so much, anyway, if at all), we don't have it in theatres or cinemas or train stations where, let's be honest, people could do a lot more damage than setting off a flare if they wanted to.
    If we establish and insist on this culture, eventually those it is intended to stop simply find more and more ways of circumventing it, while those who are just out for a night's fun are treated with less and less respect.
    There is much talk of equality in this country at the moment.
    Away fans are exactly the same as home fans, and entitled to be treated the same. They will have paid the same price for a ticket.

And no, I'm not being naive. I've been around long enough and seen enough. I'm just not convinced that this is what we should be doing to our game, to our special league.
    It always comes back to the same thing really ... the 'few' ruin it for the 'many'.

Its easy to say security are being heavy handed or unreasonable, Ive said it meself, but Im sure there are plenty of lads that clubs could ban but don't. Supporters don't like to rat out their own team fans it would seem, even if they are scumbags.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Post of the season contender from The Donie Forde. Can't understand why the likes of Dundalk-Longford needs to be strictly segregated with away fans held back. It's not that long ago (10-15 years max) when you went and paid into Oriel or Richmond of whatever and wandered around to where you wanted to go. I think a lot of the time we're just trying to act like the EPL with all the overbearing security, but it's ******. With Bohs-Rovers at the 'extreme' end of the scale you'll still find tons of Bohs and Rovers fans mixed in the bars around Dalymount on derby night without trouble.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    As others have said it’s just the few spoiling it for the many.
    A few brain dead wannabees who think they are tough but in reality would pee in their pants if real trouble ever came their way.
    There was a time when if someone caused a problem they got a clip around the ear & they didn't do it again.

Now we have a nanny state where these muppets are supposed to be understood & cajoled into mending the error of their ways.
    Most of the larger clubs have this sub culture of little brats over whom there is no control either at games or at home. We like to call them the brain trust.

They cost clubs they purport to follow thousands in fines every season. Money which could be well spent elsewhere for the good of the game. Eventually as they reach adulthood they discover other more interesting pastimes like girls & leave behind their childish ways. Occasionally some of them reach their thirties & even forties & fail to grow up. These examples can usually be found locked up & or beaten to a pulp in some alleyway.

I’m reminded of an incident I witnessed some years ago after a game against Derry City in Cork. After the game some of the local "crew" were waiting outside one of the gates for the Derry lads to exit. Suddenly from behind one of the stands about a dozen Derry fans burst out stripped to the waist & ready for action. Our local heroes took fright & ran for their lives. As I said very brave until they meet some real trouble.

I have met some great people over the years while following the League of Ireland. Some of these people you might only meet once a year when their club visits yours. You have a chat, maybe a pint & catch up on old times. Your team beats theirs or maybe the reverse & you go on your way either elated or down in the dumps & cursing your luck at some decision the ba*t*rd in the black has made.
    Then you look around you & see one of these little brats just barely out of nappies & still wet behind the ears & you think to yourself “What the hell has become of society”

You don’t need to be locked or high as a kite to enjoy the game. You just need some respect for the club you follow, for your fellow fans & most of all for yourself. You learn respect at home. If you don't learn it there then you may end up learning it the hard way on the streets.
    Society is what we've made of it & now we have to deal with what we've made.

These are the reasons why our games are regularly surrounded by security, stewards, paddy wagons & copious amounts of Garda.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donie Forde View Post
    I would have a pop at Sligo. Same as yourself, always loved Sligo away (and not just because it's close to Derry). But in recent years they've gone ridiculously over the top with "security" measures. From enforced segregation, to view-blocking barriers in the stand, barriers at the chip van, and that paint on the wall. All now combined to make the Showgrounds one of my least favourite grounds to visit. Missing the trip next weekend as I'm away and can't say I'm all that bothered. I'd also know a fair amount of people who, even with the proximity to Derry, don't bother making the journey down anymore, can't say I blame them. Expecting people to pay €15 to not be able to see a whole area of the pitch is a joke.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    179 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    I would have a pop at Sligo. Same as yourself, always loved Sligo away (and not just because it's close to Derry). But in recent years they've gone ridiculously over the top with "security" measures. From enforced segregation, to view-blocking barriers in the stand, barriers at the chip van, and that paint on the wall. All now combined to make the Showgrounds one of my least favourite grounds to visit. Missing the trip next weekend as I'm away and can't say I'm all that bothered. I'd also know a fair amount of people who, even with the proximity to Derry, don't bother making the journey down anymore, can't say I blame them. Expecting people to pay €15 to not be able to see a whole area of the pitch is a joke.
    In fairness, do you think the club have put these measures in place just for the crack!. All the measures put in place have been as a result of incidents that have occurred. If you have any other ideas to deal with them then please let us know, it would save the club a small fortune.

Derry fans away numbers have fallen in the last number of years because ye are sh1t now, not because you cant see a wee bit of a pitch. Spare me.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    The view is pretty rubbish in that away end in Sligo in fairness. Constantly shuffling to see around the pillars.

On the other hand they have done a great job taking the money from the successes over the past 6 years into improving the Showgrounds. I was there for the first time since 2013 (the Quigley 2-2 game) and the place looks completely different.

Hopefully improvements can be made to that stand over the next few years, though perhaps putting in a fourth stand, or roofing the VW stand are higher priorities.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CityRebel;1807274
    [LIST
    [*]Sligo Rovers FC security personnel will have the right to randomly search both home and visiting supporters and any breach of security or ground regulations will result in expulsion from the ground.[/LIST]
    Not so sure about that tbh. If you want to arsey, don't you have the right for a cop to be present?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Expecting people to pay €15 to not be able to see a whole area of the pitch is a joke.
    Clearly never been in the away end in the Brandywell

Not looking to go tit for tat here BTW.

Its a shame clubs, and guards, feel the need to do this. I think it's OTT
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast