Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: LOI Series 1 fixtures 6th/7th March

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    Of course the wind was a big factor for the scrappy game. But if you read what I said, 'it was like a game of bounce ball' that had nothing to do with the wind but with the pitch. The ball just doesn't settle once it goes an inch off the ground. It's just bouncing the whole time. But it was the same for both teams. I'd take a grass surface over it any day.

The reason O'Sullivan didn't start was a tactical reason as we only played one up front. And as Gary Shaw is our main man for flicking on and holding up play that's why he got the nod to start.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    Longford's attacikng tactics laid bare.

"flick it Gary"
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    I thought in the first half we were knocking it long too much but we tried to get it down a lot more in the second. Dundalk are clearly a better side than us and that's no great shock but I thought we were pretty solid at the back and weren't overrun for the most part. Could easily have nicked a draw but over the whole 90 minutes it would have been harsh on Dundalk. Pretty encouraging display though given we were away to the champions in our first game and hopefully we'll hold our own this year.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Decent display by Longford.

Dundalk clearly deserved the win.

Pleased to hear Longford fans continuing to perpetuate the Oriel Park pitch myths - perhaps Keith Fahey and Colin Healy will be joined by some other no-play prima donnas if we can encourage more whinging?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Legend View Post
    Of course the wind was a big factor for the scrappy game. But if you read what I said, 'it was like a game of bounce ball' that had nothing to do with the wind but with the pitch. The ball just doesn't settle once it goes an inch off the ground. It's just bouncing the whole time. But it was the same for both teams. I'd take a grass surface over it any day.

The reason O'Sullivan didn't start was a tactical reason as we only played one up front. And as Gary Shaw is our main man for flicking on and holding up play that's why he got the nod to start.
    Most Dundalk fans, myself included would of course prefer a grass pitch, little clue in my signature, but for playing football it's fine, was approved by FIFA recently, and the only factor I noticed last night preventing good play was a constant driving wind.

The away section is indeed a disgrace, and unfortunately this nor the pitch won't change until the club sort out the ownership of the lease, without that (which is actually only a marginal fee per week) we can't apply for any sports and capital grants. Also it's the norm to keep all away fans in for 10 minutes or so after, it's just a safety issue to ensure our minority of schooligans are sent home. There was a problem with the press box last night, some fuses blew, so the PA system, usually not shy with announcing, was off air for most of the match, I don't think an announcement was made for the away fans due to that. I definitely didn't hear the usual 'additional time' at the end being announced.

Other than all of that, I hope you enjoyed your trip over! Longford surprised a lot of of us in the second half, they should be just fine this season and will surely consolidate their place with the quality of players. Dundalk if they had taken their chances could have been 2 or 3 up, but in the end, very happy to go away with a 1-0 win.
    Last edited by oriel; 07/03/2015 at 10:23 AM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Longfords absence from the Premier League becomes apparent when they are just joining the Oriel Pitch discussion. People will see what they want to see. A gaelic football like big toe hoof putting spin on a ball and causing an unusual bounce is obviously nothing but the pitch. The main reason I want rid of the pitch has nothing to do with the pitch but that opposition cant roll it out as the reason for everything probably including global warming if they could!

8. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    As I stated above the pitch was the same for both teams so I'm not claiming that was the cause for Dundalk's win. I seen that pitch on the TV several times and I thought it wasn't great but decided to reserve judgement until I seen it myself. Last night didn't change my thoughts on it. I spoke to a couple of Dundalk fans after the game and asked them what do they make of the pitch. They don't like it, takes weird bounces and ball just runs away from you. And God forbid you slide on it like Pat Sullivan did last night and ended up with burn marks on his knees! So it's not just opposition fans, it's also Dundalk fans who don't like it!! Apart from the few on here on the defensive with the blinkers on

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    So it's not just opposition fans, it's also Dundalk fans who don't like it!! Apart from the few on here on the defensive with the blinkers on
    There's also some who are totally bored with the incessant repetition by posters here..............

Others who are amused with the whinging from losing managers (and fans)............

11. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    God help ye!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    516 Posts
    We've waited bloody seven years to complain, and my god we're going to do it.
    Last edited by Acornvilla; 07/03/2015 at 10:55 AM.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    As I stated above the pitch was the same for both teams so I'm not claiming that was the cause for Dundalk's win. I seen that pitch on the TV several times and I thought it wasn't great but decided to reserve judgement until I seen it myself. Last night didn't change my thoughts on it. I spoke to a couple of Dundalk fans after the game and asked them what do they make of the pitch. They don't like it, takes weird bounces and ball just runs away from you. And God forbid you slide on it like Pat Sullivan did last night and ended up with burn marks on his knees! So it's not just opposition fans, it's also Dundalk fans who don't like it!! Apart from the few on here on the defensive with the blinkers on
    No one likes the pitch.

We just get on with the game as we don't have the half a million euros it would take to go back to grass.

Anyone who was fortunate enough to see games in Oriel Park over the last two season saw some very good football, and not just from Dundalk.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acornvilla View Post
    We've waited bloody seven years to complain, and my god we're going to do it.
    Damn right. I intend to find at least one thing to complain about in every ground I visit this year.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    I did say the main reason - which implies that I have other reasons, another of which is the waiting for FIFA testing every season of recent and praying that it hasnt finally reached its sell-buy date (although there was an attempt to cash in on the fire damaged version so maybe...). Talk about the pitch takes away from the bigger issues like how unlucky Longford were not to do a smash and grab away to the champions, Rodger's world-class saves to deny the share of points, the excellent attendance and so on. Im sure Soccer Republic (which will also be novel for you to feature on) will see through the waffle of the pitch and chat about the important stuff! Then again if they do flap on about the pitch you can sit and nod approvingly - welcome to top flight football and the key issues...

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Damn right. I intend to find at least one thing to complain about in every ground I visit this year.

Pfffft best of luck finding something in Jackman.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    It made me chuckle to see Fifa invoked in defence of the dundalk surface, which is by general consensus in bad nick and not conducive to decent or entertaining football, and that it favours Dundalk, although the Longford lads not wanting to seem bad sports have not emphasised this the dundalk mob know it ti too but don't like to admit it to themselves as it takes the shine of recent achievements.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redarmyfaction View Post
    It made me chuckle to see Fifa invoked in defence of the dundalk surface, which is by general consensus in bad nick and not conducive to decent or entertaining football, and that it favours Dundalk, although the Longford lads not wanting to seem bad sports have not emphasised this the dundalk mob know it ti too but don't like to admit it to themselves as it takes the shine of recent achievements.
    I've been very entertained the last two seasons watching more than decent football in Oriel. Pretty successful too. But carry on criticising the pitch. Any chance that the criticism can become more inventive and original though?

25. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    I've been very entertained the last two seasons watching more than decent football in Oriel. Pretty successful too. But carry on criticising the pitch. Any chance that the criticism can become more inventive and original though?
    It's not really an insult to suggest Dundalk play good football in spite of the major handicap of playing on a ****e astro pitch. But I'm not going to get into an argument of who gave who which certificate.

Absolutely mental game in Tallaght. Very little football played but kudos to Brendan Clarke for single-handedly creating some entertainment (although Hyland tried his best to emulate him second half). North was really, really impressive. Pats badly need Hoare and O'Brien to play because McGuinness and Browne have the turning ability of articulated trucks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    The pitch, the pitch, the pitch. The away end blah blah blah.

Dundalk really never got out of 3rd gear. An error ridden performance but we should of been out of sight with 2 great chance to kill the game. With being 1-0 I would of expected nothing else from Longford and to go for it.

Longford look good enough to stay up easily. They are certainly better than Drogheda and Pat's.
    Long Live King Kenny

28. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Oh nobody is holding FIFA up as the bastions of integrity! The tests are still held with baited breath of the fans and it isnt nice. Think its UEFA who actually do the testing for the FAI - another bunch of decent and honest chaps! The pitch is what it is, we can do feck all about it at the moment but I thought it was finally a worn out topic, almsot as worn out as Galway dvd's and licencing, or kilcoynes and car parks, or Bohs and selling football ground twice, or Shels cheating to league titles spending invisible money, or Derry City and British heads of state, points deductions, Kerry not having a team et al blah blah f@cking blah

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    It pretty much was old news in fairness and next time we go up there there probably won't be as much talk about it. But most of us hadn't seen it up close before so you have to expect some discussion about it. Life in the Premier is a welcome novelty to us at the moment!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast