Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: UCD 3-0 Kilkenny City

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts

UCD 3-0 Kilkenny City

Warning - I got home at about 6:00 after this match, so any errors can, particularly in regards who got subbed off, can be blamed on that!!

UCD kept their side of the title-winning bargain with an easy win over Kilkenny City on Saturday night, but it wasn’t to be as Harps also won, leaving UCD to finish as runners-up, but far more importantly, with promotion sealed a long time ago. However, you’d have to imagine that had the original promotion system of one automatic place been in force, either Harps or UCD would have good reason to be aggrieved at being potentially denied promotion despite both teams smashing the previous points record for the division.

Kick-off game was delayed for some ten minutes due to crowd congestion – probably the first time this has ever happened at Belfield! However, the congestion was in Donegal, with the delay in Belfield to ensure that both games kicked off at the same time. The decision, while obviously correct, probably wouldn’t have gone down well with the players, who were left out in terrible weather conditions for ten minutes more than they had wanted to be!

The game had hardly kicked off when news filtered through of a goal in Donegal, followed by various rumours of a red card for Harps, which apparently turned out to be just a bad tackle which merited a red card but for which only a yellow was awarded. However, all UCD could do was win their own game, and on the half-hour, that is what they were doing. Pat Sullivan went on another surging run which took him into the Kilkenny area and around the keeper before he unselfishly squared for Mick O’Donnell to tap home into an empty net.

One became two around the hour mark when Robbie Mac headed home from an acute angle, though the goal was announced over the PA as being Philly Hughes’. By this stage, the match was little more than target practice against a Kilkenny side who had seen half their squad change from the last meeting in Belfield. Philly Hughes and Seán Finn had good chances to extend the lead, while Robbie Mac clipped the bar with a free-kick from nearly 30 yards out. However, the third goal – which at least confirmed UCD’s standing as the league’s top scorers – did arrive, though in slightly controversial fashion. A cut-back from the line was apparently out of play, but the linesman (or lineswoman, technically) allowed play to go on, and Robbie Martin was pushed over for a penalty. With Seán Finn having taken the most recent UCD penalties, Robbie Martin having been fouled and Willie Doyle looking for his first goal in four months, there was a bit of an argument over who was to take the kick. Finn won, and sent the keeper the wrong way to round off a most satisfactory season for the senior team.

UCD – Quigley; Mahon (Finn), McAuley, Kenna, McNally; McDonnell, Sullivan, Murphy (Dicker), O’Donnell; Doyle, Hughes (Martin). Subs not used – Gallagher, Foley.

Att - 307

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Out of Play ???

The linesperson correctly allowed play on for the peno as the ball was kept in by Anto Murphy-right in front of me. Admittedly the line was virtually washed away at that stage but all of the ball did not cross all......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Cool - settles that then. There were some in the Montrose after saying that the ball was out of play, which is why I put it in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    I knew it wasn't Philly Hughes! Who incidentally had another good performance. Willie Doyle is looking sharper now again, pity he couldn't grab a goal to end the drought. It was a cracker of a freekick by Martin. I thought the players hardly ackowledged the crowd after a long season's end.

Did Mick O'Donnell not come off for Dicker? I remember Anto Murphy switching to the left.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Aye, Willie Doyle did well alright. Needs a goal or two pre-season though - can't head into your first Premier Division campaign with a seven-month goal drought.

Free-kick was Robbie Mac. Must be something about not giving him any credit!

Can't remember the subs to be honest. Was drinking whiskey until 5:30am. Plays havoc with the aul memory! Bald Student didn't even make it up for the U-21s game sure!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    Aye, Willie Doyle did well alright. Needs a goal or two pre-season though - can't head into your first Premier Division campaign with a seven-month goal drought.

Free-kick was Robbie Mac. Must be something about not giving him any credit!

Can't remember the subs to be honest. Was drinking whiskey until 5:30am. Plays havoc with the aul memory! Bald Student didn't even make it up for the U-21s game sure!
    yeah Robbie Mac, sorry. lol, well with work the next morning I can assure you I was quite sober and if you ask me Micko was having a pretty crap second half, I don't know if that's why he was taken off but he was as I definately remember Anto switching to the left. Btw, I recorded Sean Finn's peno, so if anyone actually wants it PM me your e-mail. It's about 2mb.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Yeah, what they hey, sure send it on. I've PMed you an e-mail address there. Have a feeling it may be the last goal Mr Finn scores for us after briefly talking to him on Saturday...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Yeah, what they hey, sure send it on. I've PMed you an e-mail address there. Have a feeling it may be the last goal Mr Finn scores for us after briefly talking to him on Saturday...
    I'm attempting to send. Uploading it seems to be taking a while. Let me know if it works. What did he say? Is his contract up?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Actually I'm not allowed to transfer something so big. Got MSN messenger?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Nope. Someone else may, though - just have to wait until they come along I suppose!

Was mentioning the Player of the Year and Goal of the Season awards to him - computer's been broken so I had to recalculate all the awards in work on Tuesday or Wednesday, by which time people hadn't time to get some awards bought and engraved. Told him we must present them to him at the start of next season, and he said something along the lines of "If I'm still here." 'Twas said in very much the same way that Bazza said it three seasons ago, and we know he meant it then!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Sent with Yahoo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    sean is heading back to the US. he has a kid and girlfriend there so understandable and not secret move to another club. im sure you were afraid he was heading north to a club managed by d**lin

p.s i think ihatejam is taking the p!ss or something, he talks as much sh!t as pat dolan and roddy collins over lunch eating pooh sambo's

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    And what has he got to do with this thread?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Have a feeling it may be the last goal Mr Finn scores for us after briefly talking to him on Saturday...
    Well, spot on, unfortunately...

Quote Originally Posted by ilovejam
    sean is heading back to the US. he has a kid and girlfriend there so understandable and not secret move to another club.
    Well, complete nonsense, unfortunately...