Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: UFC

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts
    As much as I'd like to think McGregor had a chance I'll be shocked if it's not a Mayweather TKO. McGregor has gassed quite badly when he throws a lot of big power shots and with the heavier gloves I think he'll be done for after 5 rounds. Mayweather is too smart and skilled to get caught with a big sucker punch before then. Both counter punchers so it will probably be pretty dull up to the finish too.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Well nothing can be worse than the Pacquiao fight. But won't McG's reflexes be to kick him and S-T? And how old is Floyd FFS. Boxing is so horrible. That sport is on life support. Along with a boxer on one of the cards last Sat night actually.

The official poster is out:
    https://twitter.com/ShowtimeBoxing?r...cgregor-061417
    Last edited by KrisLetang; 15/06/2017 at 9:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    It'll be hard for it to beat Rocky v Thunderlips.

That was class start to finish.
    Last edited by The Fly; 15/06/2017 at 10:53 PM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisLetang View Post
    He might string him along for a few rounds. Will it be $150 bucks?
    I think he'll get paid more than that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    An amusing (and probably pretty accurate) article here on what is set to be a total circus: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ght-ufc-boxing

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Armen Graham
    Over the next 10 weeks, the combined promotional heft of Mayweather Promotions and the Ultimate Fighting Championship will attempt to seduce you into believing the outcome is anything but the foregone conclusion it is. Hell, some are already biting. You’ll hear plenty about Floyd’s age. You’ll hear about his struggles with left-handed opponents and the strides McGregor has made with his boxing. Later there will be race-baiting on both sides, the same cynical tactics that lifted Jack Johnson v James J Jeffries and Larry Holmes v Gerry Cooney and Mike Tyson v Peter McNeeley to record-breaking profits.

That’s the thing with one-offs: everyone involved knows they only need to fool the customer once. It’s not bad for boxing. It’s not bad for MMA. It’s not anything except a quick-strike money grab with no enduring significance. It’s an exciting fight until it actually starts and it will be forgotten the minute it’s over, unworthy of a chapter in either man’s memoirs.
    In spite of McGregor having zero chance of getting anywhere near Mayweather - Andy Lee compared it to asking a triathlete to swim against Michael Phelps, which I thought was a good analogy - I still can't help but be intrigued by the hype and spectacle of it all.

Funnily, the author of the Guardian piece happens to mention "Muhammad Ali's risible fight with the Japanese pro wrestler Antonio Inoki in 1976, widely regarded as the most embarrassing moment of the Greatest’s career"... How had I never heard of that before?!

Just checking it out on YouTube now, and it was indeed an absolute farce:

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Here's some footage of a clumsy McGregor sparring with Chris van Heerden (a former welterweight boxer from South Africa) last year:

As Bryan Armen Graham wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Armen Graham
    McGregor? There are 20-year-olds in boxing gyms right now that would light him up like a Christmas tree. That’s at least what’s suggested by the infamous footage of the Irishman’s sparring session last year with Chris van Heerden, a former welterweight belt-holder from South Africa. Sure, there’s reason to believe his clumsy, plodding approach could improve with a training camp devoted completely to boxing. But there’s simply no way he can catch up to the fistic aptitude of Mayweather, who’s been drilled in the mysteries of the sport since childhood. There’s no such thing as a crash course for a lifelong craft.

Remind yourself what Mayweather did to some of the greatest boxers of his era. We’re not even talking about the destruction of Diego Corrales, a fight where Mayweather entered an arguable underdog, before he surrendered his power by climbing in weight to chase the bigger money. Even late-period Floyd’s brittle hands didn’t keep him from making the likes of Juan Manuel Marquez and Canelo Alvarez appear as if they were stumbling around in the dark trying to find the light switch. If that lot couldn’t even find let alone hurt Mayweather, what hope does our Conor have?
    Even Van Heerden himself has ridiculed McGregor's suspect boxing abilities:

Quote Originally Posted by JOE.ie
    But Van Heerden took to Twitter last night to voice his thoughts on how the now official fight between Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor will go.

He laughed at suggestions of McGregor's movement making it difficult for Mayweather to land punches on him: "People telling me Mayweather will have his hands full trying to land on McGregor -STOP IT! I respect McGregor BUT I ain't Floyd and I landed."
    He also said the following:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris van Heerden
    Conor is a great MMA fighter but boxing is the sweet science and in that particular class, I’m the professor to him. I tagged him effortlessly during sparring, he knows it and I know it. There’s no way he takes a fight against me because he knows it’s lose-lose for him. Conor can’t stand with me that long, he knows it and you best believe I do too.
    It simply won't be a contest.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Wonder could it be a draw as its all a pantomime anyway, so why not string it out for another pay day?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Max Kellerman from ESPN says CM won't land one punch.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=19643279

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    As much as I'd like to think McGregor had a chance I'll be shocked if it's not a Mayweather TKO. McGregor has gassed quite badly when he throws a lot of big power shots and with the heavier gloves I think he'll be done for after 5 rounds. Mayweather is too smart and skilled to get caught with a big sucker punch before then. Both counter punchers so it will probably be pretty dull up to the finish too.
    Wasn't too far wrong. McGregor gassed quick and Floyd was never in trouble. More entertaining than expected at least. McGregor needs a bit of a reset and back to hard work and defending his 155 UFC title.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    UFC 217 was amazing.

The UFC should have a policy of less PPVs per year and then just stack the cards. Less is more!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567