Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts

UFC

I did this for Danny and Crosby.

It's nearly 4am and this damn fight is still a ways off. Pendred winning was a disgrace. Never a unanimous decision, but sure it wouldn't be showbiz without a little bit of fixing here and there.

Some smaller gingerer looking Paddy something, Connor McGregor look alike won earlier, and some other lad lost because he was crap.

That's my round up of the nights action lads.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Haha, I can't really say I'm a UFC fan or anything. I've followed McGregor's rise fairly passively up until now and find him entertaining. I don't know a huge deal about UFC overall though. I've decided to stay up for this one to see what it's all about. I guess I've fallen for the hype!

I thought McGregor was to be on at 3AM or so, but it's just past 4:30AM now. Ah well, I might as well see it through now I'm already up so late.

Pendred's victory was indeed a robbery.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    Well, that was.. easy..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    That was exceptionally one-sided. Siver couldn't really offer anything in response. McGregor barely broke a sweat throughout.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    All this post fight madness was much more entertaining. Some carry on

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    I'm surprised it went on so late, I thought it was to be finished by then.

Have no time for UFC, I respect the qualities of the athletes as in any sport, but find it quite a disgusting sport. I had never heard of it before living in Croatia and went to a Mirko Filipovic fight with one of his sponsors (in Manchester) and was absolutely sickened by what I saw. Again, the fighters are skilled, tough and entertain, and the sport is better tested (doping) than most - even this weekend another lad was banned. So it's a step ahead of most in that respect.

Good luck to the Irish lads, McGregor does need to lay off on the Dickensian Dublin (he sounded like a Monty Python parody the one time I heard him on Newstalk). And our guys are continuing to break through in WWE also! Shamus has rivals for best of the Irish!!!

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts
    I took the slightly more sensible option of getting an early night and recording the fights. Got up at 4am and watched it through before heading into work. Holohan was very comfortable but will be disappointed he didn't manage to finish the fight, he has the potential to move right up the rankings if he keeps his focus, the loss in his last fight probably helped him in the long run.

Pendred fight was closer than people are making out. I thought two rounds might have gone to Pendred, takedowns always score highly with the judges, it was a shock that it was unanimous and that there was a 30-27 in there but not that massively surprising that he got the win.

Norman Parke was outclassed. He's very good but he's about two levels below the elite going by that performance against a fighter who has been on the fringes of the elite for a long time.

McGregor just made it look ridiculously easy against a potentially very dangerous opponent. Siver just had no response for his movement and even when he did connect with a rare few shots McGregor just walked through them. The critics will still jump on the fact he still hasn't fought a wrestler and if he wins the title he'll probably have to defend it against someone like Frankie Edgar, who's as tough as old boots as well as a wrestler. Aldo will be a different beast to anything McGregor has ever faced, he's defended his title 7 times already, he won't be phased at all by the hype and he has kicking power and speed that could neutralise McGregor in a way that nobody else has managed.

I'll definitely be looking into travelling to Vegas for the title fight. It took me a while to really develop an understanding of MMA as a sport, sometimes it's hard to see the skill in a grappling contest against the cage or on the ground, or to believe it's anything more than savagery in a bloody stand up battle. Once you start to become more familiar with the fighting styles and can see the moves that are being attempted it's much easier to appreciate the skill levels and while the light gloves tend to result in quite a lot of cuts, there seems to be evidence at this stage that the knockouts are much cleaner than boxing and added to the shorter fight times, there doesn't seem to be the same prospect of long term brain injury.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    391 Posts
    They were thinking of putting the Championship fight in Eire but it would have to start at a time they couldnt get permits for to accomidate the US....
    Anyway Conor is one hell of an athlete! All that skill he added and at the end of the day its all about bout the left.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    http://www.the42.ie/ufc-fighter-colb...01884-Jan2015/

The continued vitriol and - at times - viciousness of the racism towards Irish UFC fighters from both (mainly) American UFC fighters and fans continues to amaze me.

No other nationality - be they Welsh, Scottish, English - is subjected to abuse like this because of where they are from.

You used to see this sentiment in England 30 or 40 years ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    391 Posts
    Its not real. They just try to drum up attention for the fight. Ali understood that. Frazier didn't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    Its not real. They just try to drum up attention for the fight.
    Exactly, it's designed to wind up people like TOWK and it's clearly working a treat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Has Michael Bisping ever been subject to such racist bile from opponents in the build up to his fights?

Or a UFC fighter from any other country?

I can't imagine a black UFC fighter being called the n word or a Mexican UFC fighter being called the b word for some reason yet it is acceptable to be openly and blatantly racist against someone from Ireland without fear of retaliation or punishment.
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 26/01/2015 at 2:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Get a grip you loon and stopped looking to be annoyed by idiots.

McGregor is a HUGE success story in the US.
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/1/21...rts-1-mma-news

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/1/22...-mma-editorial
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    TOWK and Dodge, I know I speak from a level of ignorance in this that ranges between complete and dreadful, but isn't the ufc just a branch of mma and trying to grow itself? There is no chance (nowadays) to slag off coloured or Mexicans, so Russian, Irish, Polish are fair game - just look at WWE, the model on which ufc appears to be aping itself, along with the drugs, ott boasts and outlandish story lines. Maybe I am completely wrong, but the day is gone when you would have The Sheikh or Sergeant Slaughter etc being the heels, now it's down to ultra violence so that teens boys and underdeveloped males can circle berk. The abiding memory I have form the movie Bruno is his mma appearance, and the lack of self-reflection in the baying meatheads.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    If you're looking to Bruno for MMA guidance, then I'd suggest you shouldn't really be commenting on their marketing strategies at all
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    391 Posts
    CM Punk is in mma training. I like that guy. Hope he isn't afraid to get hit like Lesner!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    If you're looking to Bruno for MMA guidance, then I'd suggest you shouldn't really be commenting on their marketing strategies at all
    Did you catch the sarcasm or it passed you by? :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    In all my years watching UFC, not once have I ever seen someone racially abuse another fighter. Nearly every single fighter that calls out Conor McGregor (and Cathal Pendred) have made several derogatory references to where they come from. It's unbelievable lads.

If you pass it off as banter then it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I have black friends, Eastern European friends and I have known Jewish guys and never once has it crossed my mind to call them some of the things McGregor has been called.

If I (or anyone else I know) did, I would get my head kicked in.

Imagine if Anderson Silva was called an "ap*" or the n word or imagine if Tito Ortiz was called a "b*aner". Wouldn't happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    And CM Punk will be 37 years old by the time he will have his first fight and he's talking about working his way up gradually.

He's talking about taking this seriously yet he's constantly whining about his former wrestling employers, getting into petty arguments with pundits on TV, doing q and a's and writing forewords to comic books.

You want to be taken seriously? Go into hiding and train in beast mode for 6 months. Put up and shut up.

Looks like Lesnar could be coming back too. He would be 38 years old by his next fight. He first left UFC because of a life-threatening bout of diverticulitis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    391 Posts

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast