Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tennis 2015

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    Some amount of rabble about the Genie thing all right, I'm just going to bury my head in the sand on that one, can't be bothered with looking at any sort of news at this stage, someone's always outraged (rightly or wrongly) about something!

Didn't think Fed would win the comp by any stretch, but didn't see him tosing to someone like Seppi either.
    Draws really opening up for Kyrgios down on that end.
    Nadal is Destroying Dudi sela, Sela has won one game in the opening two sets...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    Real Ale, did you see Sloane Stephens as a knife throwing "victim", or worse, I'd to suffer a "karaokethon" with players (sponsor was a music system company) and I didn't venture near karaoke for years! The "twirl" was on top of Serena modelling her new designs and the skit taking going on between the girls. When Novak Djokovic dragged up like Serena only the usual voices shouted, except Serena who took off Novak. What we, as plebs, don't know is that some of these girls and guys enjoy the craic. Bouchard handled it great.
    Yeah to be honest Spud - I'm not sure what that paragraph was about - were you at a party with the players or something and the craic was good ? - but sorry man - I'm a bit lost!

As for Bouchard - I thought yes she handled it well, even if she looked a little bit awkward. Regardless of how she handled it - it was a pretty dumb thing to ask of a professional athlete in an interview straight after a grand slam singles match - I can only imagine the response from Nadal if a similar request was asked of him. I doubt he'd be too happy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Just a quick update on our Junior in the Q. Draw - Bjorn Thompson.

He won his first round game on Wednesday; 60 63 against Australian WC Dimiti Morogiannis.
    However, with a place in the main draw on the line, he was beaten by Christian Sigsgaard 63 63.

Over now to Spudulika and Acornvilla to tell us all about him!

4. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    I don't know much about the kid other than Garry Cahill tagged him with 4 others as ones to watch the year before last. He's still young, but with some work he can be a top-100 player.

Acorn - male players are usually pretty mad, they party hard and are generally good fun to be around. The female of the species are odd, generally you could call them special needs - as in socially inept, developmentally retarded and headed for some real problems down the line. But still good fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Halep went from watermelons to oranges and it changed her whole career.
    Agree with the sentiment that Feds should call it a day. I hope he isnt one to stay on too long....
    Is this the year for Berdych?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    Halep went from watermelons to oranges and it changed her whole career.
    Agree with the sentiment that Feds should call it a day. I hope he isnt one to stay on too long....
    Is this the year for Berdych?
    Poor Simona, she's known only for how she looked as a teen. A number of other women's tennis players did the same think. Lesley Kerkhove immediately springs to mind. There was a French girl who had an operation but it was more to do with her back, and Justine Henin had a double mastectomy cancer prevention).

I'd not be shy of backing Berdych! He has everything needed for a breakthrough. Including a cute girlfriend. That's not sexist, just good marketing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Venus looks healthy.
    Yeah spuds a few of the gals I went to hs with went under the knife bc of back pain. I dont blame them. Halep looked like she had two basketballs there.
    Big win for Madison vs Kvitova. I think.
    I hate the time diff here. Its hard to follow.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    Venus looks healthy.
    Yeah spuds a few of the gals I went to hs with went under the knife bc of back pain. I dont blame them. Halep looked like she had two basketballs there.
    Big win for Madison vs Kvitova. I think.
    I hate the time diff here. Its hard to follow.
    It's a tough one (Venus), she's been doing well and is healthy, I'd love to see her win one.

The US girls are doing well. I don't fancy Madison Keys, but Brengle....she's a bit of a space cadet, but she's a good, tough player. She's not in the crazy Glushko mould, but she's volatile. There's a massive showdown with Cibulkova and Azarenka, with the winner going in with Serena (probably). Cibulkova is busy believing her own hype and isn't fit enough to last a GS, Azarenka is rehabbing, so a Serena-Venus SF would be great. Unless there's a mishap, teh winner comes from the top half.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    What do you think of Sharapovas chances? Evert was saying her serve is still off from the shoulder surgery.
    Never heard of Brengle. Ill have to check her out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts

12. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    I'm not hot on Sharapova, she is probably just 10-15% short of really challenging, but if the other half of the draw is a slug fest, she wil only benefit.

Yeah, Madison is something alright. I have my doubts as to whether or not she's 100% clean, but she is showing great stamina this year, lots of matches and lots of sets. I first met her back in 2008 when she partnered with a girl we were managing (at a tournament in Italy). She was a bit highly strung but good natured. She had a couple of stalking experiences on Facebook and her management took over all her accounts (but that was 2010). She will be a mainstay player for the USA id she keeps going. She's a scrapper and real team player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    The Murray - Dimitrov match this morning was very high quality, Dimi still showing signs that he's on the right track, but Murray was able to up his level when it really mattered. He's looking pretty good so far, much improved on last season, probably still not at his former best, but as close to it as he has been.

The Lopez - Janowicz match was captivating too, Jerzy really should have won it, but just couldn't take any break points, Lopez was so aggressive on them, and throwing slice all over the shop. He'll be murdered v Raonic I imagine, if ever a man has limped into a GS 4th round, it is he!

Nice to see Muller doing so well, this time last year he had a sub 400 ranking I think, worked hard winning a bunch of challengers to get his ranking back, doing well with an English coach now.

I honestly have no idea how it's going to go as regards the lads, glad Kyrgios didn't screw up and lose to Seppi, he's a future #1 if he keeps it up. Will give Murray a good run for his money. But pretty much everyone you would consider in with a chance of winning the comp has been cruising through, bar Nadal, but it's be a pretty big shock if he could get to the final, given everything. I think it's still DDjoko's to lose, but it could be the most tightly contested GS in a while.

As far as the WTA goes, I want Radwanska to somehow fall into a final and win it
    She's been tidy so far, not dropped a set. Still lacks power, but you never know..
    Last edited by Acornvilla; 26/01/2015 at 1:30 AM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Muller is a good guy, and huge! Met him when we played Luxembourg in DC. Have a bunch of pics with him and a former client, gave lots of time to kids, signed autographs etc. He's someone who should have done a lot better after a pretty good junior career. He won't trouble Novak (I think) but it's good to see him back. Didn't know he had a British coach!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    Spud has met everyone ever born into this earth

17. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    05032011021.jpg
    Acorn, you have me smiling.

Luckily....it's Marta Sirotkina with the big man! She's not small either!

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acornvilla View Post
    Spud has met everyone ever born into this earth
    But somehow he and ArdeeBhoy (who has also met everyone) haven't met?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    04032011009.jpg
    Just to keep it LOI - we ere guests out in Tallaght for the ROvers-Dundalk match.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    But somehow he and ArdeeBhoy (who has also met everyone) haven't met?
    I have a feeling we have, at a Rovers match! And other times. The world is very, very small :-)

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    The world is very, very small :-)
    And now complete!

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    James McGee kicks off at a $50k Challenger in Maui, Hawaii later today. He takes on German WC Marko Lenz - WR 1,537.

Sam Barry is in action in Feucherolles, France at a F3 event - takes on the top seed David Guez (Fra)

At an F2 Futures event in Sunderland, England - Daniel Glancy has made his way through 3 rounds of Qualifying to take his place in the main draw. Starting tomorrow - he takes on Alexander Ward (GBR).
    Peter Bothwell has been beaten in the last round of Qualifying by Robert Carter (GBR) 64 36 75.

27. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast