Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Fester Carsley retires again...

... but for good, this time.

http://www.elevenaside.com/boysingre...p?newsid=14701

Thankfully it's no great loss to the Irish side. Nice knowing you, Lee.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Carlsey was a legend. I got to interview him as part of my coursework and it got me a betetr grade than I deserved! Thanks Lee!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The former Derby County, Blackburn Rovers and Coventry City man said: “When the lads go on international duty, I don’t miss going. That probably means it is time to call it a day, not least because it is benefiting me here at Everton.

“I am not missing training and I am not getting up at silly hours to get planes after internationals. Taking a break from international football has given me a chance to get the right kind of rest and do the right training.”

Good riddance, sir.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Actually in the interview he said it would be a good thing if Ireland played at Anfield! Still a legend though!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    'concentrate on playing for everton' - is he having a laugh. is that where the end of his ambitions lie. staying fit for an away game in Portsmouth. Anyway, glad to see the back of him. his last display against Russia was a joke.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Or in other words, Kerr didn't drop everything when I decided to give it another go and I'm too good to sit on the bench.

Ade

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Well if I was the highest rated Irish player in the Actim index and I couldn't
    even make the squad I think I would call it a day.
    http://www.actim.pa.press.net/top100.shtml
    THe index is a joke anyway when you look at the players above him, 95% of
    which could best be described as useless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor74
    Not a huge Carsley fan, but when we're looking at players like Kavanagh and S Reid to provide cover I think we shouldn't jump up and down for joy when another midfielder goes...
    Kavanagh is a better player than a lot of first team central midfielders in the premiership and I'd even include Matt Holland in that.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    Kavanagh is a better player than a lot of first team central midfielders in the premiership and I'd even include Matt Holland in that.
    Kavanagh has outshone many more established prem and international footballers since returning to the team and some proper acknowledgement outside of Cardiff is long overdue.

As for Lee O' Carslaigh, the man is not getting the credit he deserved and I for one wish him the best of luck in the rest of his career. Not blessed with too much ability, but always gave 100% in the green shirt and never failed to appear when announced in a squad ,despite knowing that most of the time he wouldn't get a run out. If only other more high profile players weren't so chosey on when to appear
    Mens sana in corpore sano

b_mcsweeney
    i'd have no grudge with carsley on a personal level, he always seemed like he gave his best and never caused any fuss, but it just seemed like every time he played the team had a stinker and we'd have a bad result. i'm sure that wasn't the case, it just felt like it. it didn't help his case (in my mind) that he gave away that penalty in the playoff (the one with turkey i believe) which effectively was the away goal that put us out of euro 2000. end of the day, fair play to him and i hope he does well at club level, but he isn't exactly a huge loss to the national side.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    the guy gave his all every time he played, its all you can ask of any player. well done and good luck

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Éanna
    the guy gave his all every time he played, its all you can ask of any player. well done and good luck
    Seconded.

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Plastic Paddy
    Seconded.

PP
    Here! Here!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Normally I'd always like to focus on the positive contribution of an Irish player. However, in the case of Carsley, it always boils down to the same match and the same moment.

Euro 2000 playoff against Turkey at Lansdowne and 'that' thoroughly avoidable handball leading to the Turkish penalty. Ireland played well enough that nite, u know. And 1-0 would have been a fair result - no bias or nothin'

I'm not labelling Carsley as a scapegoat or anything. But I reckon his fate as a regular starter in midfield was negated by that fraudulent slip.

Sorry, for rousing an old wound!

Honest pro - nothing more, nothing less.

SKBIO-TOR

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm not sad to see the chap go. He always gave his all and always turned up until he retired but I won't give him credit for that as he's an Irish footballer - that's the very, very least that's expected of him. Unless his family reasons are playing a strong factor here - which I wasn't aware of last time he retired and I gave him some unfair criticism on this site - he clearly isn't that interested in playing for Ireland and would prefer to play for Everton. Good luck to him but that kind of attitude has no place in any international team.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skbio_toronto
    Normally I'd always like to focus on the positive contribution of an Irish player. However, in the case of Carsley, it always boils down to the same match and the same moment.

Euro 2000 playoff against Turkey at Lansdowne and 'that' thoroughly avoidable handball leading to the Turkish penalty. Ireland played well enough that nite, u know. And 1-0 would have been a fair result - no bias or nothin'

I'm not labelling Carsley as a scapegoat or anything. But I reckon his fate as a regular starter in midfield was negated by that fraudulent slip.

Sorry, for rousing an old wound!

Honest pro - nothing more, nothing less.

SKBIO-TOR
    That is a load of bullsh!t. Ireland were not the better team that night and 1-0 would not have been a fair result. We were completely over-run in midfield. Seldom have I seen an Irish team so out-played at Lansdowne. Tugay pulled the strings in midfield for Turkey while the outstanding Sergen Yalcin made a mockery of Roy Keane who was then at his peak. If you want to find scapegoats for that night, look to Tony Cascarino who continuously tripped over the ball and Rory Delap on the right wing who rarely got a touch of the ball. Many Irish players have made mistakes. Roy Keane missed a penalty against Romania, costing us a point. I dont hear people complaining about that. Carsley is simply an easy target.
    As JoeSemi pointed out, no player was more willing to turn up for our squads, even though he knew his chances of playing were limited. Including the 2002
    WC qualifiers and the World Cup itself, Carsley was available for selection in each of the 16 games. All he played was 20 minutes in the home game against Cyprus and 10 minutes against Saudi Arabia.
    Thanks Lee. Your commitment will not be forgotten by those Irish fans who appreciate effort.
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    He played great in one game a playoff against Belguim(I think) rest of ther time he was crap, no big loss.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJamaicanP.M.
    That is a load of bullsh!t. Ireland were not the better team that night and 1-0 would not have been a fair result. We were completely over-run in midfield. Seldom have I seen an Irish team so out-played at Lansdowne. Tugay pulled the strings in midfield for Turkey while the outstanding Sergen Yalcin made a mockery of Roy Keane who was then at his peak. If you want to find scapegoats for that night, look to Tony Cascarino who continuously tripped over the ball and Rory Delap on the right wing who rarely got a touch of the ball. Many Irish players have made mistakes. Roy Keane missed a penalty against Romania, costing us a point. I dont hear people complaining about that. Carsley is simply an easy target.
    As JoeSemi pointed out, no player was more willing to turn up for our squads, even though he knew his chances of playing were limited. Including the 2002
    WC qualifiers and the World Cup itself, Carsley was available for selection in each of the 16 games. All he played was 20 minutes in the home game against Cyprus and 10 minutes against Saudi Arabia.
    Thanks Lee. Your commitment will not be forgotten by those Irish fans who appreciate effort.

You misinterpreted the sentiment of my message. I even pointed out that I was NOT making out Carsley to be a scapegoat. Try reading the message again with regard to that point. I'm saying that 'unfortunately' when I think of Lee Carsley I automaticaly think of that handball against the Turks. There's two ways of looking at that handball. It was an unfortunate incident or it was just plain clumsy. I'm of the latter point of view. There are not many all time great Lee Carsley moments that I can pay homage with. (I'm wracking my brains here to no avail!)

As for the game itself, yes, I digress, Turkey played the better football. (no question) But I don't seem to remember them creating that many chances which is why I declared a biased view of Ireland meriting a win. Don't think Turkey created as many chances as (lets say) Portugal did in '01, for instance. I do acknowledge that my memory of the game is tainted by that sickening feeling when that penalty was awarded, so my recollection of the game is somewhat blurred. I tend to where my heart on my sleeve in big games like that.

My expectation with every Ireland game (in most of my time watching football) is that teams such as Turkey are going to have the lions share of possesion. (That stereotype was broken in Paris last month) How many times have we played the likes of Macedonia and see how techinically more proficient such nations players are.

One more thing (I'm being long winded here as usual), the fact that a player merely shows up for every squad and gives 100% effort every time is not a true barometer of a players legacy to his country, in my opinion. Jaysus if your thats all it takes to make an Irish team / squad. Sign me up, I'm willing to risk life and limb.

Thats one man's view.

SKBIO-TOR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up God Bless Lee

As for Lee O' Carslaigh, the man is not getting the credit he deserved and I for one wish him the best of luck in the rest of his career. Not blessed with too much ability, but always gave 100% in the green shirt and never failed to appear when announced in a squad ,despite knowing that most of the time he wouldn't get a run out. If only other more high profile players weren't so chosey on when to appear [/QUOTE]

Agree 100% with ye JoeSemi. About time someone acknoweldged Carsleys efforts. If only everyone had Lee's attitude, workrate and endeavour things would be an awful lot easier. He's a smashing pro and his international retirement can only benefit David Moyes' Blue Army. We have Lee's graft and Kilbane's trickery at Goodison and signs are on the toffees! Sitting at the dizzying heights of third in the league, things have never looked better on Moyseyside! As far as I'm concerned Rafael Benitez will remain Rafael BeneathUs!!
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    With regard to the Turkey game my recollection is that we were outclassed and somehow ended up 1-0 up. Cascarino missed a sitter, blasting a volley straight at the keeper from close range that would have changed things dramatically.

Turkey had an attacking full-back, a blond guy (Abdullah? - anyone remember his name?) who was outstanding.

The Carsley incident was a freak though.

Anyway, good luck to the guy. He never did anything stupid or selfish like McAteer's claiming he was fit when he wasn't. As always with these stories we probably don't know the half of it. Kerr may well have told him he doesn't fugure so maybe that's what prompted it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast