Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jake Mulraney M Pats b.1996

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    748 Posts
    From replacing Alexandre Pato to signing for St Pat's in the space of 5 months. Looking back through this thread I feel like I've maybe given Mulraney a bit of a hard time but, to be honest, I'd say this is him now finding his level. Fair play to him if he was earning £300k a year with his previous clubs though, must have a good agent!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    very good signing for pats

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Sure MLS is a fairly crap standard too so he's not exactly jumping off a cliff in terms of playing standard. He'll still probably get a couple of grand a week and a move closer to family and friends, as well as a chance to play in Europe in the summer.
    At 26 he's not exactly over the hill either so a good year could see him get a good move back to England or Scotland if he wants it.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    MLS to LOI is a massive drop off in absolutely every way including standard of football.

Should be an excellent signing for Pat’s and disappointed Derry missed out there as talk was we were close (ish anyway).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Sure MLS is a fairly crap standard too so he's not exactly jumping off a cliff in terms of playing standard. He'll still probably get a couple of grand a week and a move closer to family and friends, as well as a chance to play in Europe in the summer.
    At 26 he's not exactly over the hill either so a good year could see him get a good move back to England or Scotland if he wants it.
    MLS is so bad that I can't think of even one LOI player who made it in the League. Actually in fairness Paul Keegan did have a good spell 25 years back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    MLS to LOI is a massive drop off in absolutely every way including standard of football.

Should be an excellent signing for Pat’s and disappointed Derry missed out there as talk was we were close (ish anyway).
    Personal reasons can be the only logical reason for the move home. It’s a massive drop in terms of facilities and standard of play. He will gone from playing in front of 40k plus in a billion dollar stadium in Atlanta to the LOI in a short period of time.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Argentina had an MLS player in their World Cup winning squad. I wouldnt mind seeing a few of our players play in MLS rather than lower leagues in England. Its a league that is improving massively

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    MLS is so bad that I can't think of even one LOI player who made it in the League. Actually in fairness Paul Keegan did have a good spell 25 years back.
    There's several players done well in both leagues. Richie Baker and Kevin Doyle, for instance both had good spells in MLS having come through LOI. Ryan Guy, American lad who spent a few years in LOI also played a good few years in MLS as did ex-Longford player Avery John.

I'm not doubting there's a drop in standard. What I said was it wasn't dropping off a cliff. MLS is between Championship and League One standard and LOI isn't much below that.

Standard of facilities is a drop off, that's a given, but that's nothing to do with playing standard again, which I was fairly specific in saying.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    There's several players done well in both leagues. Richie Baker and Kevin Doyle, for instance both had good spells in MLS having come through LOI. Ryan Guy, American lad who spent a few years in LOI also played a good few years in MLS as did ex-Longford player Avery John.

I'm not doubting there's a drop in standard. What I said was it wasn't dropping off a cliff. MLS is between Championship and League One standard and LOI isn't much below that.

Standard of facilities is a drop off, that's a given, but that's nothing to do with playing standard again, which I was fairly specific in saying.

mls has come on massively over the last 5 years i would say. USL 1 + 2 are more comparable to LOI than MLS, even at that some usl1 clubs are a lot better than what we have here. The yanks have done a serious job of improving the quality of the league over there. If MLS is between champ + l1 we are some way off that here im afraid!

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts

The top players in LOI are L1 standard for the most part as seen by the likes of the exodus that went over last summer. Some have done well others not so much, but after that the rest of the LOI are below League 2 I think. There will be exceptions like Abankwah and some of the other younger players in the LOI at the moment, but the overall standard of the LOI is below what it should be.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    MLS to LOI is off a cliff for sure. I don’t know the science or maths in the criteria of off a cliff so it’s all subjective I suppose but in the general sense that it means a significant and sharp drop then certainly a direct move from Orlando City (or any other MLS club) to St Pat’s (or any LOI club) is off a cliff to me.

To also say the LOI isn’t far off a level between the Championship and League One in England is crazy. Way, way and, for emphasis, way again, off.
    Last edited by DCWA; 17/01/2023 at 7:21 PM.

13. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Wasn't the lad dundalk had in 2021 an mls all star, one of the worst signings an loi side has made.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
    Wasn't the lad dundalk had in 2021 an mls all star, one of the worst signings an loi side has made.
    yep 3 years previous. he looked to have no interest at dundalk, was there to pick up a wage.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
    Played for Valencia too but I wouldn’t fancy Derry winning the Copa Del Rey. Anyway seriously digressing from the topic. I assume Mulraney is no longer relevant in terms of Ireland.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    Played for Valencia too but I wouldn’t fancy Derry winning the Copa Del Rey. Anyway seriously digressing from the topic. I assume Mulraney is no longer relevant in terms of Ireland.
    Well he has been on a Plane ! !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Getting confusing now with talk of drops, cliffs and planes. Take it he is more a base jumper, skydiver than footballer.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Interesting to see how he does all the same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Looking at his career stats to date, the heights being play in the Scottish Premiership and the MLS, it’s rare he completes 90mins – when he plays, he is either taken off or comes on. He is a quintessential squad player, hard to know if can evolve from this and establish himself as a first team regular. So agree, will be interesting to see how he gets on – if nothing else, as means of measuring that cliff drop. :-)

21. Thanks From:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123