Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Vote to End carraige rides in Central Park and the Irish horsmen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts

Vote to End carraige rides in Central Park and the Irish horsmen.

Oops I had a typo on horsemen. Sorry.

One of the most hotly contested local NYC stories I remember in a long time pits animal rights activists vs Horse Pulled Carts around the loop of Central Park. The majority of the carraige operators are Irish ex Pats living in the city. These are decent union jobs that some on the city council are attempting to do away with. The Animal rights people claim the horses are miss treated and put into danger working in such busy areas. Celebs like Alec Baldwin and Edie Falco support the ban. Liam Neeson is highly charged to oppose it.

I've spoken with a few of your Irish Cousins over here who operate these Carraiges over the last few months. The city is tentatively saying they would be able to purchase a taxi medallion if they lose their jobs. But there is all kids of red tape and dissenting views of that, and of course its not the same thing. Also a medallion can fetch a million bucks so not sure of they would just be given them or what.....

One of your cousins told me, and i read this quite a few times, that they invited the mayor to view the stables for himself. To see that they care properly for the horses. He has steadfastly refused to come. Some council members have come down there. There is a conspiracy theory that the location of the stables, long in an undesirable part of Manhattan, is now gentrifying and would be very valuable real estate land for new residential buildings...

And what will happen to the horses if they are made illegal? Alpo cans? Some say they will lovingly be put out to retirement but its hard for me to see who will pay.

Many of the Irish drivers have been showing up in the local papers trying to get support, always with a few wide eyed children who need to be fed with the money their Fathers make from tourists.

Personally I can sort of see both ways on this one but Putting all these middle class folks out of jobs....Doesn't seem like a great idea. Many Irish ex Pats would be very screwed. It seem most don't really have any other marketable skills to speak of...

Will be interested to see what happens to your fine horse tending cousins, big lads they are.
    Last edited by Crosby87; 16/12/2014 at 10:31 PM.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.