Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: It's okay to call Chinese "Chinks", Irish "Paddies" and Jewish people love money

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts

It's okay to call Chinese "Chinks", Irish "Paddies" and Jewish people love money

http://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/other/...V0ck?ocid=iehp

Someone really needs to explain to Dave Whelan that "Brits" is not a pejorative word. Paddies and Chinks are.

This ignorant bigot has the nerve to need it explained to him why James McClean doesn't want to wear a f'n poppie.

The British are ones to look down on other countries for their problems with racism. They need to get their own house in order first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    What are you getting worked up about now? Idiot man makes idiotic comments... and is on the receiving end of appropriate reaction.

Whelan has been roundly condemned by the British media and other public groups, and rightly so. He is also now subject to an FA investigation. Nobody is passing off his remarks as OK, and I'd guess that Whelan post-apology is also now beginning to comprehend that his comments are not acceptable.

Of course "Brits" can be a pejorative term. It depends on the context in which it is used and it can be used in a pejorative sense with an intent to insult. I wouldn't be remotely offended if my girlfriend jokingly referred to me as "Paddy" or if an England-born Irish person affectionately referred to us Irish in a collective sense as "us paddies". If I had an EDL bruiser shouting "paddy" at me from across the street, however, that'd be a different story entirely.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    If you say so it must be right then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Yeah, whatever.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Did DW really need it explained to him why JMC didn't want to wear a poppy or did JMC publicise his letter to DW as the vehicle to make public his views on the issue?

I think DW just comes across as an old fashioned un-PC git of a certain generation rather than a hard core racist nutcase. I'd say his views are still quite common among septegenarians. It's not an excuse but a lot of people of his generation lag well behind ours in terms of how "enlightened" they are. If DW gets in trouble then so too should the Duke of Edinburgh.

I think Mackay has paid more than a fair price for having his unsavoury private texts made public. He has been outed as an unreconstructed Neanderthal but that doesn't make him unemployable. People have just been elected in Britain for sharing his outlook on life.

By all means make DW face humiliation for stupid and offensive remarks, but deeming him not fit and proper to run a football club would be an extreme reaction.

Just as a general point, I think it's a shame that in football so much attention gets paid to unsavoury stuff like this, amidst calls for role models, but when something like Laurent Koscielny giving 600k to save a failing factory in his home town happens it barely gets a mention.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 21/11/2014 at 9:19 PM.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Did DW really need it explained to him why JMC didn't want to wear a poppy or did JMC publicise his letter to DW as the vehicle to make public his views on the issue?
    It probably suited both parties, to be honest, and I'd imagine there was a pre-agreement there. It took the potential heat off both. James got to clarify matters for a baying section of the less enlightened public whilst Whelan was able to look like the understanding chairman who, whilst a proud advocate of the poppy symbolism, was granting his player permission to opt outof wearing one due to exceptional circumstances.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    Of all the phrases in the world that Malky Mackay could have used, he just happens to reference "pound of flesh", you couldn't make it up!
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...lcome-to-wigan

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Ha Boss, sadly there's plenty of people now with this casual racism in Britain and encountered a good few eejits in Ireland too in recent years...Whelan as Stutts said is just typical of his generation, whilst the younger ones with such views are generally not the sharpest.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    What really p1ssrs me off about thse affairs is the mass commentary such as Simon Barnes today using this and Ched Evans and Rio Ferdinand as proof that football thinks it's above normal moral guidance and that saying sorry is only a PR gesture.

Meanwhile Laurent Koscielny giving €600k to save the biggest employer in his home town or some low key football signing for Forest(?) on a two month trial period giving all his wages to charity go largely unreported. Don't get me going on misbehaviour in other sports.

It's ludicrous to expect rveryone in football to be a role model. In many respects the likes of Alexis Sanchez and Luis Suarez escaping extreme poverty and violent neighbourhoods by working hard and exploiting their talents against almost impossible odds are in themselves inspirational, even if Suarez loses his head on the pitch.

Footballer does something good. Silence. Footballer does something bad. National outrage. England rugby player sticks his camera phone under women's toilet door. Barely a comment.

I thought Kick It Out's response was fair, an offer to sit down with DW and explain why something that might have been acceptable when he was a young man is not acceptable in today's generation.

12. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Good post, as football has a massive profile compared most other sports.

14. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Good post, as football has a massive profile compared most other sports.
    Stutts, at any given time, can strike an effective below the belt (but justified), fatal blow, to any caustic rugby aficionado.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Stephen Hunt had a good dig at Joe Umbrella in today's Sindo and supported my view that most footballers are well valves and highly professional.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-30785091.html

In fact Hunt's column is rapidly coming the must-read sports column of the week.

I don't have any beef with rugby, in fact I really like it. The autumn tests were excellent. I do have a major beef with the "rugby good people, football bad people" argument though. There was an article in the Standard last week about a guy from Tottenham who has been taking his coaching badges and is teaching kids from the sink estates how to play football and is keeping them away from the gangs. He used to hang out with Mark Duggan, the guy whose shooting caused the riots a couple of years ago. He said he'd have gone the same way after he was released from prison. Drugs, firearms, gangs, robbery was his lifestyle but football has saved his life and he and his mates are rescuing scores of kids from the same lifestyle now. This to me is at least every bit as good as biting your lip when the ref is annoying you.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    5 grand for an hour with a life coach. What was he on about again?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Anyone not convinced by the generational aspect to this should watch the recent Channel 4 programmes "It was alright in the 70s" which recapped the blatantly racist, homophobic, mysogynistic, chauvinistic, xenophobic and every kind of prejudiced television of the era - mainstream prime time television. Some of the stuff in it is truly unbelievable.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/i...t-in-the-1970s

Worth watching no matter what decade you were born in.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    5 grand for an hour with a life coach. What was he on about again?
    That was about dealing with his phobia but unfortunately the adhd wasn't part of the package, therefore the threads that connect some random bits of information in the article, are absent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Whelan should really just put a sock in it. He's gone and dug another hole for himself in a pretty desperate attempt to further defend himself: http://www.theguardian.com/football/...se-chingalings

Quote Originally Posted by The Guardian
    The FA is aware of Whelan’s latest comment, which came at the end of a lengthy interview with the Jewish Telegraph. During an attempted apology, the 78-year-old said: “When I was growing up we used to call the Chinese ‘chingalings’. We weren’t being disrespected [sic]. We used to say: ‘We’re going to eat in chingalings.’ The Chinese weren’t offended by that. That was the name everyone in Wigan called it [the first Chinese cafe in Wigan].”
    Judging by his following apology, I'm not really sure he gets it yet:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Whelan
    I apologise profusely to anyone who has taken offence because I would never offend the Jewish community under any circumstances. I have nothing but respect for them. They’re hard-working people, they’re honest people.
    As well as insulting ethnic minorities with racial-based slurs - which is obviously explicitly racist (whether he yet comprehends even that is questionable considering his blissfully ignorant "chingalings" remark; it's not his place to say whether offence is taken or not) - making stereotypical generalisations based upon someone's ethno-cultural background is also racist. There's nothing intentionally malicious in the apology, but I get the impression he'd still assume it's OK and would be quite content to make broad generalisations about minority communities based upon their ethnicity.

The more-detailed "explanation" below is verging on comical: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...ingalings.html

Quote Originally Posted by Daily Mail
    ‘Please take it I have a lot of Jewish friends,’ he said.

‘I bet there are a dozen who have got apartments in Majorca, where I am.

‘And so many Jewish people go to Barbados at Christmas. That’s when I go. I see a lot of them in the Lone Star, in restaurants. I play golf with a few of them.

‘I don’t want to mention any particular names because I don’t want to pull their names into it.’

Whelan, who made his fortune through his sports stores, also told the newspaper ‘two Jewish boys’ had taught him the market trading business.
    The Jews; a great bunch of lads!

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I don't have any beef with rugby, in fact I really like it. The autumn tests were excellent. I do have a major beef with the "rugby good people, football bad people" argument though. There was an article in the Standard last week about a guy from Tottenham who has been taking his coaching badges and is teaching kids from the sink estates how to play football and is keeping them away from the gangs. He used to hang out with Mark Duggan, the guy whose shooting caused the riots a couple of years ago. He said he'd have gone the same way after he was released from prison. Drugs, firearms, gangs, robbery was his lifestyle but football has saved his life and he and his mates are rescuing scores of kids from the same lifestyle now. This to me is at least every bit as good as biting your lip when the ref is annoying you.
    Had a read of this earlier: http://northernladsclub.wordpress.co...g-footballers/

It was written by a Preston-supporting anti-fascist I'd spoken to a while back, so it is unabashedly partisan, but I keep an eye on the blog from time to time as it offers an interesting and articulate non-mainstream perspective on matters (such as "consensual" hooliganism) obviously marginalised by modern football. As a "potted history of left-wing footballers", the piece I've linked to isn't directly relevant, but it might contain some interesting information; it documents some "extra-curricular"/sociopolitical-oriented activities of footballers, including Javier Zanetti's monetary support of the Zapatistas of Chiapas and some rather generous praise for Eric Cantona's "anti-fascist" kung-fu kicking. Admittedly, maybe not the best example to present to rugby folk to challenge their contrasting perceptions of the two games!

Quote Originally Posted by DR
    Footballers get a bad reputation. From well-publicised rascist brawls and fascist flirtations to generalised lavish spending that would put a party of hedge-fund managers to shame, your average top-flight footballer is not a character who easily gains the approval of left-wing individuals. However, it is a game that, despite 21st century excess and corporate entryism, remains rooted firmly in the working class. This is a short introduction of several football figures who went against the grain and spoke up unabashedly for the [political] left.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    A football/basketball fair-play comparison: http://balls.ie/football/2342-tyson-...lar-situation/

Quote Originally Posted by Balls.ie
    On this weekend of chronic Premier League diving, it would be reasonable enough to suggest that high level professional football has lost all semblance of ‘the way the game should be played’. However, let’s not ring the death knells just yet.

This weekend, Borussia Dortmund effectively stopped play to allow Hertha Berlin’s Per Ciljan Skjelbred to put on his boot in this ‘great show of fair play’. As far as we’re concerned, once you’re a Champions League level team in the relegation zone, all politeness should go out the window.

We’ll be honest, when we saw this we thought it was a bit ****. However, since it happened on the same day as this far more entertaining clip from the NBA we felt it only right to draw some comparisons.

If you’re Borussia Dortmund, you acknowledge that an opponent is having footwear problems so you dally about at the back while he takes his time to ensure said footwear is properly in place. Cue applause from the fans and plaudits from the commentator.

If you’re Tyson Chandler of the Dallas Mavericks, you see that Steph Curry of the Golden State Warriors is trying to return Marreese Speights’ lost show so you summon all your do or die attitude and you block that shoe as if it’s the sole reason for your existence. ‘Get that show out of here’ indeed. Cue applause from the fans and plaudits from the commentator.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Here's the NBA video: