Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: 2013 Club World Cup

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts

2013 Club World Cup

I've always enjoyed the idea of the competition, even in the old Intercontinental Cup format, though Ferguson appears to have been the only English manager to demonstrate any enthusiasm, and while South American clubs have embraced it, European attitudes have traditionally been rather sniffy. Anyway, after decades in Japan (bar a brief UAE interlude), the CWC has upped stakes to Morocco, and host invitees Raja Casablanca have stunned FIFA by reaching the final. After defeating Oceania's Auckland City and CONCACAF champs Monterrey, they faced the stiff challenge of Libertadores winners Atletico Miniero, backboned by Ronaldinho, Jo and Gilberto Silva. But the outsiders prevailed 3-1, and become only the second African finalists, following TP Mazembe in 2010. Sadly, no TV coverage seems to be available, but their clash against the all-conquering Bayern (who defeated Guangzhou Evergrande 3-0) looks set to be a cracker!

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I had no idea this was on already. I was wondering why there had been no coverage anywhere.
    Spending the last few days in England didn't help.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Same. It's basically just a toss-up between South America and Europe every time, so its nice to see an African side pull a shock.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Sadly, Bayern won at a stroll, Dante and Thiago notching early in a 2-0 win. European clubs have monopolised the title in the last decade, winning 7 of the last 10 stagings - monetary gulf telling perhaps, even though Brazilian football allegedly is the most affluent in the continent?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Hardly worthy of a new thread, maybe the title could be changed to 'FIFA Club World Cup'.

Anyway, this is going on at the moment. I don't think any of the games are being televised in Ireland or the UK, strangely enough. I came across a couple of interesting articles about the tournament's history, in it's various formats. It's a bit of a shame that it doesn't get more recognition but in fairness to Real Madrid, they seem to be taking it very seriously. They beat the Mexican champions, Cruz Azul, 4-0 last night. The Mexicans missed a penalty at 2-0 and that was that I guess. San Lorenzo are playing surprise package Auckland City in the other semi final this evening. Auckland have completed an African double by beating the Moroccan champions, Moghreb Tétouan, in the Preliminary Round on penalties and the African champions, ES Sétif, 1-0. I don't mind the idea of the hosts having a representative if the tournament is to be spread around, but I'm not sure I'm mad about it if it's in the same country every year, but I suppose it might generate a bit of a stir in the locality at least.

SportsJoe.ie - The mad, bad and at times bizarre history of the Club World Cup

Tim Vickery (BBC) - Club World Cup: Real Madrid ahead for San Lorenzo