Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Interesting perspective on it. I once met a very eloquent and obviously-intelligent left-leaning lad who made an impassioned defence of hooliganism as we talked about many things related to politics and football. He directed me towards his blog where he'd written on this in greater detail. I'm not necessarily saying I was convinced of the merits of hooliganism, but his thoughts certainly surprised me in the sense he was anything but the nasty, boorish and burly EDL-sort that people tend to commonly associate with hooliganism: https://northernladsclub.wordpress.c...f-hooligansim/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    'Ireland Team vs England In 1995 – Where Are They Now?': http://balls.ie/football/ireland-vs-...source=twitter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I once met a very eloquent and obviously-intelligent left-leaning lad who made an impassioned defence of hooliganism...his thoughts certainly surprised me in the sense he was anything but the nasty, boorish and burly EDL-sort that people tend to commonly associate with hooliganism
    Obviously I can only judge your mate by his blog, but alas I started to glaze over at lumpenproletariat, petty bourgeoisie and commentariat in the first paragraph. That's verbiage as much as a sign of obvious intelligence, although he's clearly well-traveled and observant.

As for the British Left (of mainstream Labour), I expect its best electoral result for decades in our forthcoming elections. Wonder if Northern Lad will still think it's a standing joke if that happens?

EDL turned up here (Dudley) last week for a well-publicised rally protesting both against a proposed local mosque and general 'Islamisation'. I was at the counter-demo elsewhere in town. The EDL website, as well as plenty of footage of burly, masked goons included an analysis of the sacred Hadiths. Impressive, but probably not of great interest to most of the crowd.

If NL and his mates want a ruck to let off steam without upsetting the lefty students they so despise, can't they find an abandoned quarry or uninhabitated island somewhere? The NI contingent could take along the local unionist and nationalist career rioters and all.
    Last edited by Gather round; 15/02/2015 at 9:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    Obviously I can only judge your mate by his blog, but alas I started to glaze over at lumpenproletariat, petty bourgeoisie and commentariat in the first paragraph. That's verbiage as much as a sign of obvious intelligence, although he's clearly well-traveled and observant.

As for the British Left (of mainstream Labour), I expect its best electoral result for decades in our forthcoming elections. Wonder if Northern Lad will still think it's a standing joke if that happens?

EDL turned up here (Dudley) last week for a well-publicised rally protesting both against a proposed local mosque and general 'Islamisation'. I was at the counter-demo elsewhere in town. The EDL website, as well as plenty of footage of burly, masked goons included an analysis of the sacred Hadiths. Impressive, but probably not of great interest to most of the crowd.

If NL and his mates want a ruck to let off steam without upsetting the lefty students they so despise, can't they find an abandoned quarry or uninhabitated island somewhere? The NI contingent could take along the local unionist and nationalist career rioters and all.
    Not so much a mate; more a friend of a friend of a friend who I happened to chat to once after a night out and whose views I found interesting in the sense they were not remotely mainstream. I'd perceived him as intelligent before I read his blog. I have no idea what his present views on the state of the British left would be, however, as I have no affiliation or connection whatsoever to the Northern Lads Club. Even in spite of the verbiage!

8. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    The Football Association of Ireland today (Wednesday) confirmed that kick-off time for the Three International Friendly between the Republic of Ireland and England has been confirmed for 1pm on Sunday, June 7 following discussions with the FA, broadcasters, and the Gardaí.
    3,000 tickets will be made available through the FA for English supporters.
    Irish ticket sales details will be provided in due course.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Super!

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    The Football Association of Ireland today (Wednesday) confirmed that kick-off time for the Three International Friendly between the Republic of Ireland and England has been confirmed for 1pm on Sunday, June 7 following discussions with the FA, broadcasters, and the Gardaí.
    3,000 tickets will be made available through the FA for English supporters.
    Irish ticket sales details will be provided in due course.

Wonder are they expecting trouble?
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Yes!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    542 Posts
    2 years ago the wembley friendly had an evening ko with not even the slightest hint of trouble. in fact the atmosphere was great and I found it a great occasion. the english FA posting a great tribute to the recently passed away tony grealish up on the big screen being one example of the friendly atmosphere in the ground. there isnt the slightest chance of trouble for the return fixture yet we have to suffer a 1pm sunday ko. complete and utter over reaction by the authorities

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    2 years ago the wembley friendly had an evening ko with not even the slightest hint of trouble. in fact the atmosphere was great and I found it a great occasion. the english FA posting a great tribute to the recently passed away tony grealish up on the big screen being one example of the friendly atmosphere in the ground. there isnt the slightest chance of trouble for the return fixture yet we have to suffer a 1pm sunday ko. complete and utter over reaction by the authorities
    Was at the wembley game myself and i completely agree with you....it was excellently respected by both sets of fans.

Think though the more Scum element of that section of their "fans" tends to come out at their away games though ...unfortunately , but hopefully not here in June
    My Country is My Club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,373 Posts
    Have to disagree slightly with both of you. Was at the game too, but we were in the mixed section, both Irish and English fans. Once Long scored, the stewards grabbed all of us and brought us around to the Irish fans section.
    They said they'd seen no trouble, but they weren't taking any chances
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Have to disagree slightly with both of you. Was at the game too, but we were in the mixed section, both Irish and English fans. Once Long scored, the stewards grabbed all of us and brought us around to the Irish fans section.
    They said they'd seen no trouble, but they weren't taking any chances

Was in the Irish Section myself - so maybe I was not in the best position to see any "potential" trouble that may have occurred

But surely in the above case , thats more a case of over zealous Stewards rather than there been any trouble in your section?

Before ye were moved was there something brewing between opposition fans in the section ye were in?
    My Country is My Club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,373 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by back of the net View Post
    Was in the Irish Section myself - so maybe I was not in the best position to see any "potential" trouble that may have occurred

But surely in the above case , thats more a case of over zealous Stewards rather than there been any trouble in your section?

Before ye were moved was there something brewing between opposition fans in the section ye were in?
    A little. There was another group of Irish fans about three rows in front of us that had to call a steward to move some English fans who were in their seats just before kick off. The steward hadn't gone too far when Long scored, and he called them out of their seats straight away. We got his attention and he took us over to the Irish section as well.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    915 Posts
    A little. There was another group of Irish fans about three rows in front of us that had to call a steward to move some English fans who were in their seats just before kick off. The steward hadn't gone too far when Long scored, and he called them out of their seats straight away. We got his attention and he took us over to the Irish section as well.
    Were they refusing to move seats initially ? The England fans in those seats.
    And did you feel unsafe at any point in this ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Probably just a case of stewards being overly careful and attentive of health and safety precautions. It'll be there in the terms and conditions of entry into a stadium for any game like that that the stewards have the right to demand away supporters found in the home section to leave the stadium. Count yourself lucky you were only moved to the Irish section!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    542 Posts
    A little. There was another group of Irish fans about three rows in front of us that had to call a steward to move some English fans who were in their seats just before kick off.
    sure that sitting in others seats lark happens with our lot all the time. theres a lad on YBIG who seems to get some kind of buzz off doing so all the time and posts about it regularly

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    sure that sitting in others seats lark happens with our lot all the time. theres a lad on YBIG who seems to get some kind of buzz off doing so all the time and posts about it regularly
    He sounds like great craic.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast