Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Shane O'Neill(Colorado Rapids)

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    Baffling that the FAI cannot seem to convince a lad with two Irish parents, whose father Colm played for Cork and his uncle was one of Kerry's greatest players, to play for Ireland. Maybe O'Neill is thinking, that the USA have showed interest in him all along & it's only now the FAI are interested when he got better. Hopefully if Kevin Doyle gets a move to Colorado that he can have a word.
    It's up to O'Neill to decide whether he's good enough for the FAI to pursue, no? The FAI can't go getting players to turn down call ups for their "other" country if they have no realistic chance of playing for Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Of course he doesn't know what way the US thing is going to work out but the fact they've enough faith to have them in his squad at the moment should infer something to a young, confident, professional athlete. And of course he'll feel more American around his friends- his friends are probably all American. Then again, his family are all Irish.

Did he refuse a call-up or did he refuse to train with us? That's not very clear.
    A call-up to train is what I meant

I just haven't read any comments that would give me hope that he'd choose Ireland, all things being equal. His friends probably are all American, that's what I'm saying too, which makes it very different to a Kevin Kilbane type situation when he grew up where everything around him was Irish, despite leaving in the UK.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Named in the US squad for the Toulon Tournament: http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2015...roster-release
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    We'd have given him a full cap godsmarmit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Would a cap for the USA olympic team tie him to them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsMiseSean View Post
    Would a cap for the USA olympic team tie him to them?
    Only a competitive senior 'A' cap would tie him.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    The FAI haven’t called...the USA gave me my chance

http://www.thesun.ie/irishsol/homepa...my-chance.html

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    Every time he's questioned on this matter, it's like a thinly-veiled come-get-me plea.

“So, without getting a call from the FAI, it’s not something that has to be considered." That's a pretty interesting statement for someone currently preparing to participate in the Olympics with another country.

The article states that he hasn't had the best of seasons in terms of appearances and I don't think we're in a position to call in a centre-half at that age who isn't playing regularly at present. That's probably one of the main issues at present.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    Very hard to get confirmation of this but it's being reported that O'Neill is signing for Apollon Limassol in Cyprus: https://worldsoccertalk.com/2015/08/...he-mls-season/

This is causing some confusion (http://www.reddit.com/r/MLS/comments...massol_cyprus/) as the last player to move from the MLS to Apollon Limassol was Doneil Henry who subsequently moved to West Ham. I'm not quite sure of the in's and out's of it but that Reddit thread suggests that Henry signing for Apollon was work permit-related. As O'Neill was born in Ireland, this doesn't represent an issue for him so maybe it's completely footballing reasons?

We've seen that management don't deem Cillian Sheridan's travails in Cyprus as sufficient to warrant selection so I'm not sure how time spent there would cause an FAI approach to O'Neill. If there's some loophole causing him to move to Apollon but onward to an English side at PL or Championship level then O'Neill is likely to enter the discussion at Ireland senior level, hopefully. At present, the situation regarding O'Neill appears to be that he's too old for our under 21 side and not good enough for the senior squad. He falls in perfectly to under 23 level, at which we do not participate. I believe if O'Neill reaches the requisite standard for our senior squad we'll see him move across to us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    O'Neill has been called up to the US under-23 squad for the CONCACAF Olympic qualifying championship. At least I think that's what this means...: https://twitter.com/ussoccer/status/637316393067675648

His Twitter profile photo has him draped in the stars and stripes, so he seems pretty happy where he is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    The nation waits with baited breath as to the outcome of the U23 team's latest misadventures.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    He doesn't look very happy in that photo, looks like two members of ISIS draped in the USA flag.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    How come the Rapids have such a pipeline to the fertile womb of Irish Footballers? Caleb Folan was in the mile high city. Kevin Doyle is probably gasping for air as we speak. O'Neill is already on his way to the MLS hall of fame. And there have been many more. Is a Rapid Irish and Opposition Irish thread just around the corner?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Padraig Smyth, formerly of FAI and UEFA is Commercial Director or something similar at the Rapids these days.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    O'Neill has been called up to the US under-23 squad for the CONCACAF Olympic qualifying championship. At least I think that's what this means...: https://twitter.com/ussoccer/status/637316393067675648

His Twitter profile photo has him draped in the stars and stripes, so he seems pretty happy where he is.

Now, now, Danny. Whether he is 'happy' to play with them instead of Ireland is a different question. The joys of being a dual national!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Padraig Smyth, formerly of FAI and UEFA is Commercial Director or something similar at the Rapids these days.
    And they've signed Doyle and St. Ledger subsequent to his arrival. I wonder what was his level of influence on these signings.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    He gets everyone drunk at Rock Bottom and when they awake in the morning, they have another crap player. But a devoted following of over 6 people streaming their matches as far away as Cork pays the bills.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Now, now, Danny. Whether he is 'happy' to play with them instead of Ireland is a different question. The joys of being a dual national!
    Ha, indeed, I wouldn't assume what might transpire if he was offered a call-up by the FAI before the US cap him at senior level.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    And they've signed Doyle and St. Ledger subsequent to his arrival. I wonder what was his level of influence on these signings.
    They sent a team to the U17 competition in Galway earlier this month too.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    He doesn't look very happy in that photo, looks like two members of ISIS draped in the USA flag.
    I'm probably too easy but I think this was a very under-appreciated comment! The fecking heads on them!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast