Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Any coverage of big matches in the Sunday papers?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Any coverage of big matches in the Sunday papers?

ie. Shels vs Pats, City vs boez

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Had a glance in the sunday world and didn't see anything,I looked at the fixtures for next week alright and they had the final eircom league games down for sturday night.
    Chamon Mothafcuka......he heeee.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The Star on Sunday has a preview of all next week's fixtures including all of those mentioned in Post #1 on this thread.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    As usual, not a word in the Tribune. Good interview with Brian Kerr though.

Most of the paper taken up with a meaningless friendly "game" at Landsdowne Road yesterday.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=19543

See here for a discussion on this topic today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patsh
    As usual, not a word in the Tribune. Good interview with Brian Kerr though.

Most of the paper taken up with a meaningless friendly "game" at Landsdowne Road yesterday.....
    Btw, I'm not sure what you're implying. Slagging off rugby I think. I'm no fan myself but a tour by SA, NZ or Aus or Britain and Ireland is a big enough thing and Ireland haven't beaten SA in decades in rugby and due to the limited amount of world class sides in rugby tests between two are taken quite seriously. I would not begrudge a good bit of coverage to that today after all it is the IRISH national team. I'd be more worried about the pages upon pages of the EPL and even Coca Cola leagues which more than ecplipse the eL coverage if existant at all in some papers.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    Btw, I'm not sure what you're implying. Slagging off rugby I think. I'm no fan myself but a tour by SA, NZ or Aus or Britain and Ireland is a big enough thing and Ireland haven't beaten SA in decades in rugby and due to the limited amount of world class sides in rugby tests between two are taken quite seriously. I would not begrudge a good bit of coverage to that today after all it is the IRISH national team. I'd be more worried about the pages upon pages of the EPL and even Coca Cola leagues which more than ecplipse the eL coverage if existant at all in some papers.
    Agreed besides... Brian O'Driscoll used to play for UCD... Come on the College

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm not complaining about the coverage, I suppose the ST is a rugby paper, but I don't understand why a friendly is such a big thing. Was there anything at stake? It's not part of a competiton is it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm not complaining about the coverage, I suppose the ST is a rugby paper, but I don't understand why a friendly is such a big thing. Was there anything at stake? It's not part of a competiton is it?
    No but in fairness friendlies are taken much more serious in rugby, both teams wanted to win.

And I can't stand rugby, but I can see why it got the coverage it did, that was fair enough.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The Irish Times hasn't send one reporter to a city game this season (and that includes our inter-toto games). Whats the odds on nobody being there on Friday from them. We could end up as champions and they havent seen us at the X.

You can bet your bottom dollar that they will have a reporter at the Munster match in Musgrave Park which will attract a smaller attendance. GRRRRRRR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eoinh
    The Irish Times hasn't send one reporter to a city game this season (and that includes our inter-toto games). Whats the odds on nobody being there on Friday from them. We could end up as champions and they havent seen us at the X.

You can bet your bottom dollar that they will have a reporter at the Munster match in Musgrave Park which will attract a smaller attendance. GRRRRRRR
    It's a pity the Guardian or some other English broadsheet don't send reporters to the Cross because then the IT could pick that up and print it like they do for all the English matches!
    Champions!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The IT do have a "stringer" in the Cross for all games. Just because someone doesn't travel down from Dublin, doesn't mean they ignore it. They have reports for all games, Premier and 1st divison. I don't think they are any worse or any better than other papers?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The IT do have a "stringer" in the Cross for all games. Just because someone doesn't travel down from Dublin, doesn't mean they ignore it. They have reports for all games, Premier and 1st divison. I don't think they are any worse or any better than other papers?
    Yeah, they are about on a par with the other broadsheets when it comes to el coverage i.e. diabolical. I couldn't believe it on Friday when I looked at the IT and all they had was about a fifth of a page about the el. It was a combined article on about both our game and Shels game, that's a disgrace when the season is coming to such an exciting climax.
    The Star and the Sun both had over 3 full pages el coverage and the Mirror had their el pullout.
    I just can't see why the broadsheets can't at the very least afford our league the same coverage as the daily tabloids do.
    Champions!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colm
    The Star and the Sun both had over 3 full pages el coverage and the Mirror had their el pullout.
    Really?
    Thats pretty good, is it the same every week?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well, the fact that couldnt be bothered sending a reporter down is my point.

Instead of sending a reporter to cover the city v drogheda game last friday they send a reporter to the rovers v pats match. Why? It doesnt make sense? Neither Pats or Rovers could be relegated no matter what the result. Simply Dublin centric crap.

On Monday they hide the LOI table and results at the bottom of the page below the French League.

Now Im intereested in all football and keep an eye on all leagues across europe. It was hilarious last season when the premiership season ended. They stopped putting up the Italian, german, spainish and French league tables. All of them finished later than england. Why bother keeping us up to date with these leagues when just as they are coming to their conclusion you stop printing the results and tables. Pure amateur crap.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eoinh
    Well, the fact that couldnt be bothered sending a reporter down is my point........ Pure amateur crap.
    Do all the papers send reporters down from Dublin, or do they use local journalists to send them reports?
    I would think this is common practice?
    I actually only buy the paper edition on Saturdays, use the online version the rest of the week, so can't really comment on the layout.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Really?
    Thats pretty good, is it the same every week?
    Yeah, every Friday it's pretty much the same. The coverage will be significantly reduced in the off season obviously though.

Do the Mirror also do an el pullout on a Monday?
    Champions!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    The "Irish" (Hah!) Sunday People used to have a decent spread on the league, two full pages most weeks. In recent times it just seems to have vanished. B'stards.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Nothing in Tribune as already mentioned - all they had were league tables. Always found it strange the way the Tribune has the non-irish & irish football fixtures separate.

No previews in Sunday Times & tables were dumped into other sport results section.

Was reading today in World Soccer that newpapers in the Uk have to PAY (2-4k) per week to Premier League for just fixtures. Wonder if oirish papers also waste money on that...?