Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Richie Towell

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsMiseSean View Post
    I wonder is there a tendency to over rate players leaving the LOI with big reputations in the last few years?
    Hoban, Forrester, McEleney, McMillan, Boyle, Burke have had unsuccessful spells in the UK.

In fairness to Forrester - he had looked good for awhile, but had some off field issues.

*Nevermind - there's a similar post/discussion in the LOI section.
    Dont know what happened to Forrestor after his early promise in the UK, but he hasn't looked the same player since he's come back to Pats. One quality goal against Sligo is it really. Still, we need to persist with him I think.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Not sure why anyone has a problem with this player making this move to make some money. I've quit jobs to go elsewhere for many reasons, including money and family. If someone were to offer treble my wages to go work in the middle of nowhere, I wouldn't think twice either and I certainly wouldn't give a toss what anyone on here thought about me doing so.

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    Not sure why anyone has a problem with this player making this move to make some money. I've quit jobs to go elsewhere for many reasons, including money and family. If someone were to offer treble my wages to go work in the middle of nowhere, I wouldn't think twice either and I certainly wouldn't give a toss what anyone on here thought about me doing so.
    He's hardly being castigated. If you think he is then quote the post instead of making sweeping statements.

Personally, I just think he is throwing the potential Ireland career he wishes he had away. Maybe it wouldn't have even started. We won't know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    Don't think anyone had a problem with the move itself, but most fans are sidelined that the move to Brighton didn't work out, and that it looks like he's resigned himself to not playing senior international football for Ireland in the near future

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,595 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    He's hardly being castigated. If you think he is then quote the post instead of making sweeping statements.

Personally, I just think he is throwing the potential Ireland career he wishes he had away. Maybe it wouldn't have even started. We won't know.
    There is a lot of negativity about the move in the comments of the online articles I’ve read and in other media outlets.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    I assume if they though he was good enough other championship clubs would have come in for him .

Football is pretty much a meritocracy . If clubs think you can add value at a price they can afford you they will probably sign you . Sometimes they even do it a price they cannot afford with bad end results .

If you were an alien from outer space and happened to be really good at football and could pass for human or football authorities standards / acceptance then most clubs would sign you if they thought you would improve their team .

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    There is a lot of negativity about the move in the comments of the online articles I’ve read and in other media outlets.
    My issue is that the original post is sweeping and isn't accurate of the tone of the discussion on the point here. "Other media outlets" wasn't addressed by me. Was it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,595 Posts
    Relax. I was just pointing out that he’s been criticized by a lot of folks - message boarders and journalists - for the move. Balanced enough on here as usual. I won’t speak for Colbert but I read his post as a general observation about the reaction to the move and the motives as opposed to singling out specific foot.ie posters.

10. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Relax. I was just pointing out that he’s been criticized by a lot of folks - message boarders and journalists - for the move. Balanced enough on here as usual. I won’t speak for Colbert but I read his post as a general observation about the reaction to the move and the motives as opposed to singling out specific foot.ie posters.
    Relax. Couldn't have been more specific in my post.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Apologies, Ole Ole. I wasn't looking to stir up trouble. I was indeed just making a general observation about the seemingly overwhelming negative reaction whenever a standout LOI player doesn't make the grade and drops down a few divisions to make a decent living before his body gives out. The more I've watched football over the years the more I've come to realize that at the top level, it is more about luck and avoiding major injuries than anything else.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,595 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Relax. Couldn't have been more specific in my post.
    Me neither.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Sounds like he's coming back to Ireland to play for Shamrock Rovers at the end of the English season.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-40132163.html

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    824 Posts
    Sounds like he's coming back to Ireland to play for Shamrock Rovers at the end of the English season.

Great signing for Rovers, I thought he was a lot older than 29

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts

Good news for the league, I think.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415